7gpu Mining Motherboard

TruthchanterTruthchanter Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
edited March 2017 in Mining
I read the MSI Z97 GAMING 5 can mine with 7 gpus.. however the price seems pretty high compared to the available 6gpu boards.

Are there other motherboards that are available and cheaper than can mine with 7 gpus?

I read about just a bit about there being a pci splitter but does that work just as well as a regular 7gpu mobo?

EDIT:
Found another mobo for 7gpus: MSI Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON

Have to install the newest mobo bios though but glad I found something reasonably priced
Post edited by Truthchanter on

Comments

• CryptoManiacCryptoManiac Member Posts: 49
    When you finish your rig with this mobo, pls share some info how it goes with 7 gpu's.
  • yodiyodi Member Posts: 265 ✭✭
    it goes nice with 7 gpu i just set up one with msi rx470 4g
    price is a bit higher , i got mine for 125€
    h81 2.0 is around 90€ for me but if you want get 7 gpu on 6 pcie mobo , you have to get a splitter (extender) and buy that in more .... so price is close ... then msi is better quality than asrock

hashrate dual mining running 195mh/s for ETH (28~each gpu) and 2800 mh/s for DCR (~400 each gpu)
    i did'nt check exactly consumation but when i was with only 6gpu it was 840w at the wall , soo it's must be around 940w now
  • TruthchanterTruthchanter Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    yodi said:

h81 2.0 is around 90€ for me but if you want get 7 gpu on 6 pcie mobo , you have to get a splitter (extender) and buy that in more .... so price is close ... then msi is better quality than asrock

hashrate dual mining running 195mh/s for ETH (28~each gpu) and 2800 mh/s for DCR (~400 each gpu)
    i did'nt check exactly consumation but when i was with only 6gpu it was 840w at the wall , soo it's must be around 940w now

840w dual mining seems pretty low, I get 950+ dual mining with 6 undervolted gpus.. how are you undervolting yours?
    edited March 2017
    that because platinium is better with consumation than gold
    they are undervolted 940mV for most
    yodi said:

that because platinium is better with consumation than gold
    they are undervolted 940mV for most

Supposedly barely, and I also read one guy did measurements and it didn't come out any different. Anyway I mean like what voltage are you running yours at? and are you setting the voltage directly to the value or also using an offset?
    before i had lepa 1000w gold one slot(for gpu) femal on the psu had burned , i was only eth mining and i get 880w n the replace with platinium corsaire hx1200i and i get 770w on the wall without change anything ... so i don't suppose it barely
    yodi said:

before i had lepa 1000w gold one slot(for gpu) femal on the psu had burned , i was only eth mining and i get 880w n the replace with platinium corsaire hx1200i and i get 770w on the wall without change anything ... so i don't suppose it barely

That is impressive, but almost 100w seems more of a difference than i've heard it should be, maybe the lepa was a poor psu. Especially if you didn't change the clocks or voltages between PSUs

But what voltage are you running your gpus at?
  • mitice123mitice123 Member Posts: 41
    edited March 2017
    So one note GET Z97 :) not Z170 thats skylake SOOOO chipset is limited to 4 cards :) so dont buy it please u will save urself manyyy tears :)

Have in mind it aint works with splitters none of the skylake mobo's - max capaxity 4 cards due their chipsets same for B150 mobos :)
    mitice123 said:

So one note GET Z97 :) not Z170 thats skylake SOOOO chipset is limited to 4 cards :) so dont buy it please u will save urself manyyy tears :)

Have in mind it aint works with splitters none of the skylake mobo's - max capaxity 4 cards due their chipsets same for B150 mobos :)

Is the MSI Z97 Gaming 5 the only z97 that supports 7 gpus? I don't think I've seen mention of any other z97s
  • emperorneroemperornero Member Posts: 29
    edited March 2017
    Are we sure that the MSI z170a Pro Carbon can support 5 GPU+? I've just got an MSi Z170A SLI and I'm finding it can't do more than 4 GPUs? Debating returning it.

Are we sure that the MSI z170a Pro Carbon can support 5 GPU+? I've just got an MSi Z170A SLI and I'm finding it can't do more than 4 GPUs? Debating returning it.

I've heard at least a couple people with that board say they got 7gpu working with the bios update and setting a couple bios settings. I just got one so once I get the rest of my gpus and parts for the rig I may update and let you know if i got 7gpu working with it.

Did you update the bios on yours?
  • emperorneroemperornero Member Posts: 29
    edited March 2017
    I have not updated the bios no, I'll have to try this. Does it have EZ flash like the Asus boards or do I have to do USB flashback?

What bios settings? I have searched the forums but am finding only 3 mentions of this board, and none with solutions.
    edited March 2017

I have not updated the bios no, I'll have to try this. Does it have EZ flash like the Asus boards or do I have to do USB flashback?

I'm not sure, theres a picture guide around here

EDIT: picture guide here:
    https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/11404/msi-z170-7-gpu-bios-setting-step-by-step
    @emperonero i just writted skylake chipset CANT run more then 4 :) its limited to 4 pcie cards to support.
    and yeah Z97 atm is the only one :).Pro btc can run 7 but need to be 2 gb ones :) otherwise 6 without splitter.The pro btc with a splitter cant run more then 7 and even 4gb card cant only 2 gb card on the splitter.
    edited March 2017
    mitice123 said:

@emperonero i just writted skylake chipset CANT run more then 4 :) its limited to 4 pcie cards to support.
    and yeah Z97 atm is the only one :).Pro btc can run 7 but need to be 2 gb ones :) otherwise 6 without splitter.The pro btc with a splitter cant run more then 7 and even 4gb card cant only 2 gb card on the splitter.

I was asking out of all the Z97 mobos for that chipset, is the msi gaming 5 the only one that can do 7gpu. Wasn't asking about other chipsets

And this guy has 7gpus working with skylake chipset https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/11404/msi-z170-7-gpu-bios-setting-step-by-step
  • LagniappeLagniappe Dirty SouthMember Posts: 136 ✭✭
    yodi said:

Impressive! You've garnered my interest, do you have a photo of this behemoth?
    @yodi - interesting case - can i add u on skype if ya have?:)
    edited March 2017
    mitice123 said:

@yodi - interesting case - can i add u on skype if ya have?:)

i dont use it , and probably have not enough time for it , sorry friend, and actually on an other case for my old rx480 i just get off this one.

Tslot are really nice for case , cause you can module it how you want
    I would appreciate if u say me how u made this case with 7 cards with what materials and some more pics if u show would be cool :).At the moment my are on rafts on a stilage :)
    I am interested in making my own case like that too but never have and not really sure where to start
  • JonesymJonesym Member Posts: 4
    I have a m 97 - g45 that I can only get to see two video cards. I have an R9 290, and R9 390 and rx570. It sees the 570 as a generic VGA card. I have latest bios, latest chipset drivers. What am I doing wrong? Bios settings?