MSI Z170 7 GPU BIOS Setting step by step

123457»

Comments

• EHICEHIC Member Posts: 7
    Techman34 said:

This guide from @BitsBeTrippin might help:

Thing is i didn't buy asus prime mobo ... i followed some guide that says msi z170a support even 9 gpus easily but it turned out that "easily" part wasn't meant for me.
    I know for sure it does support 7 cards but all guide i came across didn't work for me.

I have 2 mobos all msi z170a gaming m5 ... after following some guide i ended up with error code 62. Its kinda useless now i hope i don't miss up the 2nd one.

If anyone can help please i really appreciate it.

• Nokia555Nokia555 Member Posts: 36
    I have MSI Z170 Karit gaming, works great
  • cvethmooncvethmoon Member Posts: 24
    Zion2345 said:

I see tons of chatter about AMD cards but has any one else tried to use GTX 1070s? I'm NOT using the carbon version of this board only the gaming pro. So far i have only managed to get 4 of my 6 GTX 1070's working. Windows just doesn't detect the last two. I have flashed the BioS to the most recent version. and followed the guide as to how to modify the BioS. The cards have power and i have checked both the cards and risers all function properly the computer just doesn't seem to detect them.

Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro (Not Carbon)
    LGA 1151 3.2ghz Celeron processor
    DDR4 Ripjaw 2133mhz ram
    Kingston SSD
    Windows 10 (not sure on service pack or verson atm)
    6x gtx 1070
    EVGA 1600W supernova

Edit: i got 5 of the 6 cards to work by reinstalling the bios. Not sure why its still not registering the 6th card.

Edit 2: Make sure all your cards power cords are plugged in. XD systems fully operational now!

I have the same issue. At one point I had all 6 cards running. I was playing with BIOS settings and was having issues with the MSI Bios setting regarding windows 7 and windows 8/10 support. Windows 7 support works (regarding system boot, not verifying cards yet) but when I switch to windows 8/10 support the system would not boot, it would just go to a black screen. So I would have to restart the system and get back into bios and disable both windows 7 and windows8/10 support options.

However for whatever strange reason only 5 out of my 6 cards show up, AHHHHH!

Maybe, as funky as it sounds, I should enable the windows 7 support even though I am running windows 10.

Anyway, I have risers and cards sharing psu cables. For instance I have one Sata cable power up two risers, and 1 VGA cable powering up two GPU cards. Is this bad? How are you powering up your risers and gpus? I have two 1000 g3 psu's so I have plenty.

Also I notice my fans do not rotate, only when i turn on MSI after burner. That seems strange, maybe my GPUs are underpowered and need thier own VGA cables?

Good work on your rig brotha!
  • gasiferoxgasiferox Member Posts: 2
    Maguary said:

No one has success with 8 cards on this setup RX480 or RX580?

I´m now working with 8 RX480 4GB with an MSI Z170A M5 running stable
  • gasiferoxgasiferox Member Posts: 2
    lablett said:

Hi everyone, as you were aware I was having issues with my build and I suspect it was related to using a m2 drive but I'm not 100%. Anyway, I created a much cleaner build document and my system is 100% stable. So enjoy and any donations are welcome and my address is :wink:

0x1a1dce08ca6b217f11918a14a568f4bc9870aa16

I have more risers coming next week so I can test 6+ cards.

1. Plug riser in main video slot through a riser and connect monitor to card.
    2. Reset the bios in case you have been messing with the settings ;-)
    3. Download the latest bios from MSI site as you will need this for some of the newer settings mentioned below.
    4. Make the following BIOS Settings and you will need to switch to advanced view.
    a. Settings\Advanced\PCI Subsystem settings
    i. Change boot mode to ‘UEFI’ mode. This is very important!!!!!
    5. Install MS Windows
    6. Check you are indeed running in UEFI mode. Open the System Information Utility (Win Key + "R" > "msinfo32" > OK). In system summary, look for "BIOS MODE".
    7. Change MS Windows performance settings :-
    a. Open Explorer - right mouse click on 'This PC' and choose properties.
    b. Select Advanced System settings on the left hand side.
    c. Click on the button 'Settings' in the performance group.
    Select 'Adjust for best performance'
    d. Now select. - Advanced system Settings - Performance - set Adjust for best performance.
    e. Also increase and set the swap file to 17000
    f. Reboot.
    8. Now go into device manager and wait for windows to install all the drivers, which include 17.1.1, and wait until there are no unknown devices. This can take some time! If you are not happy with the driver version then change now.
    9. Shutdown PC
    10. Add a second card and start machine.
    11. In windows after time the screen will flicker and check two devices are shown in the device manager.
    12. Shutdown PC
    13. Add a third card and start machine
    14. In Windows and check three devices are shown in the device manager.
    15. Shutdown PC
    16. Add a third card and start machine
    17. In Windows and check four devices are shown in the device manager.
    18. Shutdown PC
    19. Add fifth card.
    20. Restart and go into BIOS to make the following changes :-
    a. Settings\Advanced\PCI Subsystem settings
    i. Change ‘Above 4G Decoding/Crypto Currency mining’ to enabled. This is to allow the system to see over 4 cards!!!!!
    21. Boot and wait, can take some time, for Windows to see 5th card.

Hi Labblet, first of all I want to say thank you for your advisory, everything is perfect, I´m now running 8 cards RX480 4GB BIOS Modded in a Z170A M5, I want to ask about the best clock and memory afterburner parameters in order to get a decent rate of hash and good behavior of the system. Thanks in advanced!
  • lablettlablett Member Posts: 333 ✭✭
    I use Claymore Dual miner and my settings are

-cclock 1150
    -cvddc 850
    -mclock 2075
    -mvddc 850

Note these are MSI Gaming with Samsung memory. Just reduce the memory speed until you have little or no memory errors.
    gasiferox said:

Maguary said:

What cpu are you using on that mobo please?

Does any one know if intel g3930 2.9ghz supports 7 gpu?
    Any help would be appreciated
    gasiferox said:

Maguary said:

Does any one know if g3930 2.9ghz supports 7 gpus?
    gasiferox said:

Maguary said:

Does any one know if g3930 supports 7 gpu?
    gasiferox said:

Maguary said:

• KALIKALI Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    EHIC said:

gasiferox said:

Maguary said:

Really sorry i miss this thread up ... i had an error not to confirm comment and i kept refreshing page ... i dont know how to delete those duplicated comments of mine.

Regarding the processor ... it works with 7 gpu on msi z170a gaming m5 stable. Gpu drivers were my issue so i tried "Cryptomined" version of editted AMD drivers and it worked.
  • ZeKZeK Member Posts: 2
    FWIW - the current msi z170a M5 boards are not accepting the 1.7 bios update. I've hosed 2 boards today w/ the 62 error code as a result of attempting this...
    ZeK said:

FWIW - the current msi z170a M5 boards are not accepting the 1.7 bios update. I've hosed 2 boards today w/ the 62 error code as a result of attempting this...

You don't need this BIOS as MSI has added support their bios's. Hence you just need to download the latest BIOS from MSI.
  • ZeKZeK Member Posts: 2
    Finding that out the hard way. I was able to get 6 of 7 gpu's recognized but could not get the 7th to take. MSI z170a M5 w/ GTX 1070's -- any suggestions?
    ZeK said:

Finding that out the hard way. I was able to get 6 of 7 gpu's recognized but could not get the 7th to take. MSI z170a M5 w/ GTX 1070's -- any suggestions?

Probably a driver issue so try the following

1. Go into device manager and see if you can the card under the category 'other/something else'. If you find one then install the correct driver.
    2. Disable the on-board sound card.
    3. Re-install the drivers with :smile: 3.

a DDU uninstall and shutdown
    b Reboot and go into bios and disable ‘Above 4G Decoding’.
    c Reboot into windows and install AMD driver. Please note this may take some time and only some of the cards will initialise correctly. Do no restart after install.
    d Shutdown
    e Reboot and go into bios and enable ‘Above 4G Decoding’.

4. Check you are indeed running in UEFI mode. Open the System Information Utility (Win Key + "R" > "msinfo32" > OK). In system summary, look for "BIOS MODE".
  • KALIKALI Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    tinroof said:

Did samilar steps but not work. duno what's wrong

Same here... I am using ubuntu