MSI Z170 7 GPU BIOS Setting step by step

Comments

• EthergiggEthergigg Member Posts: 8
  • starzenstarzen Member Posts: 7
    I have downloaded the correct bios file. I have downloaded 1.7 VER from this link:https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z170A-GAMING-PRO-CARBON.html#down-bios
    lablett said:

starzen said:

i tried with both format fat32 and ntfs but still it doesnt show the ROM file. Usb is shown in m-flash bios section but not the file inside it. HELP

lablett said:

starzen said:

hi, I have bought same motherboard, while trying to flash with bios file E7A12IMS.170 in the usb stick, the system shows usb but doesn't show the file inside it. I have extracted file directly to the usb stick. (i even changed usb filesystem to fat33 but didnt work)

Try the following -

1. Format USB stick in windows with default settings.
    2. Extract ROM to desktop.
    3. Copy ROM to root of USB stick.
    4. Boot into bios and select firmware upgrade and then load ROM from USB stick,
    You have the wrong BIOS file - check you have downloaded the right BIOS file!
  • iamnoobplzhelpiamnoobplzhelp Member Posts: 239 ✭✭
    Ethergigg said:

how to mod setting on GPU RX 580 Armour to get maximum hash rate?

lol. just lol. Wrong place. There are literally tagged posts where people describe how to do this.
  • SpektreSpektre Member Posts: 6
    Maguary said:

No one has success with 8 cards on this setup RX480 or RX580?

I'd be happy just to get 6 running.

• lablettlablett Member Posts: 333 ✭✭
    ok after spending some time last night I have finally got around the stupid 5th card random not start. I also got 6 cards working. So at the moment it seems like a driver issue. To get round this problem and to get 6 cards working. You need to follow the driver hack where you copy 16.9.2 over 17.4.3. I will post full details after work. Please note this fix is for 580's but may help other people.
  • MaguaryMaguary Member Posts: 59
    Someone with this card, one 3-in-1 PCI-e adapter, running 8x card on ethOS or maybe win10?
  • mbeh4shmbeh4sh Member Posts: 15
    I got 6gpu working after a lot of messing around. I had to reinstall OS for other reason and now it's not working anymore. I've run Clear CMOS, restores bios in both MFLASH and DOS mode. For some reason I can't get this option below up anymore:

I can't change Shared memory anymore no matter what I do! If that matters.

Previous
    -Settings / Integrated Graphics
    --- Initiate Graphic = "PEG"
    --- Shared Memory = "64"
    --- IGD = "Disabled"

Now
    --- IGD = "Disabled"

I've gotten 4gpu working at the moment, the 5' one is constantly hanging as "hiddden" device in device manager. The 6' gpu is something fishy with. When that is connected to a riser i'm not able to install drivers at all, black screen.

Windows 10 64bit is created with rufus GPT partition and BIOS is set to UEFI.

Are people installing any other drivers/chipset from MSI except windows and amd drivers ?

I have 8GB ram, using G4400 cpu, 64 GB HDD.

Rgs
  • gambi93gambi93 Member Posts: 1
    Yo guys, im testing the mobo MSI Z170A Pro Carbon with 6x Rx 570 asus expedition Bios Modded, 1050w Cougar Gold, G4400 processor and 4gb Ram 2133hz.
    Mobo Bios setup:

-Settings / Advanced
    --- PEG = 0 "Gen 1"
    --- PEG = 1 "Gen 1"
    --- PCI Latency = "32 (default)"
    --- Above-4G "Enabled"

-Settings / Integrated Peripherals
    --- On Board Lan = "Enabled"
    --- Sata Mode = "AHCI"
    --- Audio = "Enabled"
    --- HPET = "Enabled"
    --- everything else "Disabled"

--- Shared Memory = "64"
    --- IGD = "Disabled"

-Settings / USB Configuration
    --- All = "Enabled"

-Settings / Windows OS Configuration
    --- Windows 8.1 / 10 = "Enabled
    --- Windows 7 = "Disabled"
    --- MSI Fast Boot = "Disabled"
    --- Fast Boot = "Disabled"
    ---> = Secure Boot Secure Boot Support = "Disabled"
    ---> = Secure Boot Secure Boot Mode = "Standard"

Risers Tested, Gpu Tested.
    Rig won't boot with more then 1 gpu with riser, but mobo will bot with 3 gpu if directly connected. With 6x gpu connected rig will ofc power on but no video output. Plz Help

• otheregootherego Member Posts: 26
    gambi93 said:

Yo guys, im testing the mobo MSI Z170A Pro Carbon with 6x Rx 570 asus expedition Bios Modded, 1050w Cougar Gold, G4400 processor and 4gb Ram 2133hz.
    Mobo Bios setup:

-Settings / Advanced
    --- PEG = 0 "Gen 1"
    --- PEG = 1 "Gen 1"
    --- PCI Latency = "32 (default)"
    --- Above-4G "Enabled"

-Settings / Integrated Peripherals
    --- On Board Lan = "Enabled"
    --- Sata Mode = "AHCI"
    --- Audio = "Enabled"
    --- HPET = "Enabled"
    --- everything else "Disabled"

--- Shared Memory = "64"
    --- IGD = "Disabled"

-Settings / USB Configuration
    --- All = "Enabled"

-Settings / Windows OS Configuration
    --- Windows 8.1 / 10 = "Enabled
    --- Windows 7 = "Disabled"
    --- MSI Fast Boot = "Disabled"
    --- Fast Boot = "Disabled"
    ---> = Secure Boot Secure Boot Support = "Disabled"
    ---> = Secure Boot Secure Boot Mode = "Standard"

Risers Tested, Gpu Tested.
    Rig won't boot with more then 1 gpu with riser, but mobo will bot with 3 gpu if directly connected. With 6x gpu connected rig will ofc power on but no video output. Plz Help

maybe os don't suport motherboard yet
  • narba88narba88 Member Posts: 85
    I have a msi z170A m5 and lga1151 skylake G3900 COU. Giving a discount if anyone wants. Will take coin as payment or we can do ebay.
  • Z3PHYRZ3PHYR Member Posts: 2
    lablett said:

ok after spending some time last night I have finally got around the stupid 5th card random not start. I also got 6 cards working. So at the moment it seems like a driver issue. To get round this problem and to get 6 cards working. You need to follow the driver hack where you copy 16.9.2 over 17.4.3. I will post full details after work. Please note this fix is for 580's but may help other people.

We could also flash a 480 bios to a 580 card it would be easier. I also heard the wattman tool dosent work after this mod.
  • AnasAnas Member Posts: 5
    hello

i bought 2 motherboard msi z170a gaming pro carbon ... i can not change any things on bios .. if i press advance the bios is hang ... i flash bios 170 and 180 ...it is same problem
    gpu not work on pci 16x

what i can do ????
  • Z3PHYRZ3PHYR Member Posts: 2
    Z3PHYR said:

lablett said:

We could also flash a 480 bios to a 580 card it would be easier. I also heard the wattman tool dosent work after this mod.
    Nevermind I just tried it and windows didnt detect my cards anymore not sure why because I was able to flash a 480 to a 580.
    Has anyone tried M.2 PCI-E adapters on msi z170a series and be able to get 8 GPU ?
  • starzenstarzen Member Posts: 7
    edited May 2017
    is this bios setting same for MSI Z170A Gaming M5 ???
  • noverionnoverion Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone,

i have 3 MSI z170a carbon with this same issue: restart windows after about 1 hour of mining.
    my all 3 mobo running rx470 from saphirre. and i dont know why and when i get restart of whole win10.

My setting are PEG1 enabled 4G Enabled

Someone a solution?

PS. Im running 3 x 1080 TI on z170a carbon and have this same issue after about 72 hours.
    noverion said:

Hello everyone,

i have 3 MSI z170a carbon with this same issue: restart windows after about 1 hour of mining.
    my all 3 mobo running rx470 from saphirre. and i dont know why and when i get restart of whole win10.

Someone a solution?

PS. Im running 3 x 1080 TI on z170a carbon and have this same issue after about 72 hours.

noverion said:

Hello everyone,

Someone a solution?

Need to isolate the issue so try these steps that you think are most relevant.

0.Make sure you have windows in the performance power mode.
    1. Run Hwinfo and check memory error count.
    2. Do you have a plug to check actual power draw Vs PSU.
    3. Run one rig without Ming and see if it gets past 1 hour.
    4. Are you running claymore with - r 1 ?
    5. Check the mining logs.
    6. If you have only 4gb check and fix your swap file to 17gb.
    7. Monitor your internet connection.
    8. Check Cpu, memory and io usage.
    9. get a heat gun and the thermals on your various components.
    10. Check memory settings in BIOS.
    11. Run mining without any tuning.

One of these steps should find the underlying issue.

edited May 2017
    mbeh4sh said:

Has anyone tried M.2 PCI-E adapters on msi z170a series and be able to get 8 GPU ?

unfortunately it doesn't works :-(
    otherego said:

mbeh4sh said:

unfortunately it doesn't works :-(
    Too bad!
  • AnasAnas Member Posts: 5
    i bought 2 motherboard msi z170a gaming pro carbon ... i can not change any things on bios .. if i press advance the bios is hang ... i flash bios 170 and 180 ...it is same problem
    gpu not work on pci 16x

any help ????????
  • venom760venom760 Member Posts: 1
    lablett said:

Hi everyone, as you were aware I was having issues with my build and I suspect it was related to using a m2 drive but I'm not 100%. Anyway, I created a much cleaner build document and my system is 100% stable. So enjoy and any donations are welcome and my address is :wink:

0x1a1dce08ca6b217f11918a14a568f4bc9870aa16

I have more risers coming next week so I can test 6+ cards.

1. Plug riser in main video slot through a riser and connect monitor to card.
    2. Reset the bios in case you have been messing with the settings ;-)
    3. Download the latest bios from MSI site as you will need this for some of the newer settings mentioned below.
    4. Make the following BIOS Settings and you will need to switch to advanced view.
    a. Settings\Advanced\PCI Subsystem settings
    i. Change boot mode to ‘UEFI’ mode. This is very important!!!!!
    5. Install MS Windows
    6. Check you are indeed running in UEFI mode. Open the System Information Utility (Win Key + "R" > "msinfo32" > OK). In system summary, look for "BIOS MODE".
    7. Change MS Windows performance settings :-
    a. Open Explorer - right mouse click on 'This PC' and choose properties.
    b. Select Advanced System settings on the left hand side.
    c. Click on the button 'Settings' in the performance group.
    Select 'Adjust for best performance'
    d. Now select. - Advanced system Settings - Performance - set Adjust for best performance.
    e. Also increase and set the swap file to 17000
    f. Reboot.
    8. Now go into device manager and wait for windows to install all the drivers, which include 17.1.1, and wait until there are no unknown devices. This can take some time! If you are not happy with the driver version then change now.
    9. Shutdown PC
    10. Add a second card and start machine.
    11. In windows after time the screen will flicker and check two devices are shown in the device manager.
    12. Shutdown PC
    13. Add a third card and start machine
    14. In Windows and check three devices are shown in the device manager.
    15. Shutdown PC
    16. Add a third card and start machine
    17. In Windows and check four devices are shown in the device manager.
    18. Shutdown PC
    19. Add fifth card.
    20. Restart and go into BIOS to make the following changes :-
    i. Change ‘Above 4G Decoding/Crypto Currency mining’ to enabled. This is to allow the system to see over 4 cards!!!!!
    21. Boot and wait, can take some time, for Windows to see 5th card.

So what kind of powersupply to you have, and how many watts is it?
  • iamnoobplzhelpiamnoobplzhelp Member Posts: 239 ✭✭
    I use a server power supply like this to power the cards and the risers for up to 8 cards.
    http://www.parallelminer.com/product/hp-1200-watt-power-supply-kit-for-gpu-mining-platinum-94-zec-dash-eth/
    Then I use a ~400w PSU for the motherboard and SSD.

You also want to use PCIe 6 pin powered risers, like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Optimal-Shop-Extension-Cable-GPU-Cable-Ethereum/dp/B072HYTBVQ

Then use a GPU power splitter like this to power both the card and the riser:
    http://www.parallelminer.com/product/18awg-pci-e-6pin-to-dual-8-pin-y-splitter-extension-cable-2x-62pin-cable-6in-each-side/

Safest way to power the risers.
  • CameronSCameronS Member Posts: 46
    I have followed all of these steps and no cards are being picked up. Anyone have any ideas?
    venom760 said:

lablett said:

Hi everyone, as you were aware I was having issues with my build and I suspect it was related to using a m2 drive but I'm not 100%. Anyway, I created a much cleaner build document and my system is 100% stable. So enjoy and any donations are welcome and my address is :wink:

0x1a1dce08ca6b217f11918a14a568f4bc9870aa16

I have more risers coming next week so I can test 6+ cards.

1. Plug riser in main video slot through a riser and connect monitor to card.
    2. Reset the bios in case you have been messing with the settings ;-)
    3. Download the latest bios from MSI site as you will need this for some of the newer settings mentioned below.
    4. Make the following BIOS Settings and you will need to switch to advanced view.
    i. Change boot mode to ‘UEFI’ mode. This is very important!!!!!
    5. Install MS Windows
    6. Check you are indeed running in UEFI mode. Open the System Information Utility (Win Key + "R" > "msinfo32" > OK). In system summary, look for "BIOS MODE".
    7. Change MS Windows performance settings :-
    a. Open Explorer - right mouse click on 'This PC' and choose properties.
    b. Select Advanced System settings on the left hand side.
    c. Click on the button 'Settings' in the performance group.
    Select 'Adjust for best performance'
    d. Now select. - Advanced system Settings - Performance - set Adjust for best performance.
    e. Also increase and set the swap file to 17000
    f. Reboot.
    8. Now go into device manager and wait for windows to install all the drivers, which include 17.1.1, and wait until there are no unknown devices. This can take some time! If you are not happy with the driver version then change now.
    9. Shutdown PC
    10. Add a second card and start machine.
    11. In windows after time the screen will flicker and check two devices are shown in the device manager.
    12. Shutdown PC
    13. Add a third card and start machine
    14. In Windows and check three devices are shown in the device manager.
    15. Shutdown PC
    16. Add a third card and start machine
    17. In Windows and check four devices are shown in the device manager.
    18. Shutdown PC
    19. Add fifth card.
    20. Restart and go into BIOS to make the following changes :-
    i. Change ‘Above 4G Decoding/Crypto Currency mining’ to enabled. This is to allow the system to see over 4 cards!!!!!
    21. Boot and wait, can take some time, for Windows to see 5th card.

So what kind of powersupply to you have, and how many watts is it?
    I have 2 x Corsair 860i and use a add2psu to link the 2. From the plug 6 cards pull 900 so I have room for bigger cards in the future ;-)
    CameronS said:

I have followed all of these steps and no cards are being picked up. Anyone have any ideas?

Come on...provide more information on which step things went wrong. Make an effort to explain the problem ;-)
  • artart Member Posts: 3
    @lablett I am able to see all the cards with 4g enabled, but since they are all modified when I use the atikmdag-patcher-bios.exe and restart. I get the black Screen. How can I modify the drivers to use my flash cards when 4g won't recognized the modified drivers?
    1. Use DDU to remove installed drivers.
    2. Attempt to Install the driver 16.9.2 and the driver will be installed un c:\AMD
    3. Install the AMD driver 17.4.3 but cancel install.
    4. Copy and replace all content from
    a. "C:\AMD\Non-WHQL-Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Crimson-16.9.2-Sep21\Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF\B307117"
    to
    b. "C:\AMD\WHQL-Win7-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Crimson-ReLive-17.4.3-Apr17\Packages\Drivers\Display\W76A_INF\B313057" (Basically you copy the old driver over the new)
    5. Install the VGA cards manually from Device manager in Windows pointing path to the new driver 17.4.3 in this case.
  • artart Member Posts: 3
    @lablett , So install 16.9.2 drivers. Then download 17.4.3 and run it but then cancel the install. Confused by the word cancel here. Do I run 17.4.3 and just close out of it?
    art said:

@lablett , So install 16.9.2 drivers. Then download 17.4.3 and run it but then cancel the install. Confused by the word cancel here. Do I run 17.4.3 and just close out of it?

When you install AMD drivers, from a setup install, there are two stages. The first extracts the drivers under c:/AMD/(version). The second you configure your install options.So when I say cancel I mean at stage 2.
    edited June 2017
    installing drivers in that way it causes for me 2 strange behavior:
    1 can't control clock speeds and voltages by claymore cli options
    2 if system hangs due to bad settings, windows will keep them even if restarted
    so i'm trying with latest drivers patched by atikmdag patcher