MSI Z170 7 GPU BIOS Setting step by step

Comments

• jahrastar_ivxxjahrastar_ivxx Member Posts: 9
    anyone got this working with 7 gpus? Windows refuses to boot with 4g encode at my end
  • iamnoobplzhelpiamnoobplzhelp Member Posts: 239 ✭✭

anyone got this working with 7 gpus? Windows refuses to boot with 4g encode at my end

You have to make sure windows is installed in UEFI bios mode (not legacy) and SATA mode is set to AHCI. You will probably need to reinstall Windows.
    ok thanks. So i need to set the bios to enable 4g enc

You have to make sure windows is installed in UEFI bios mode (not legacy) and SATA mode is set to AHCI. You will probably need to reinstall Windows.
    Thx. Do i need to enable 4g encode then do a fresh install?
    Also if i somehow get it tovwork with 7 gpus, will i still be able to mod the vbios?
  • lablettlablett Member Posts: 333 ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Below are the outline steps to install MS Windows 10 Pro with a MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon. If you have already installed MS Windows and cannot get past 4 cards then please see step 4. If you are in a complete mess I would probably recommend you reset the bios and follow the install steps below. The most important thing is to take your time and triple check your riser’s connections; power to PCI riser board, power to card and USB/PCIconnection. I blew up a card when I inserted the PCI car the wrong way round. If you really like the guide then eth donations, to pay for my replacement card, can be sent to :-
    0x1a1dce08ca6b217f11918a14a568f4bc9870aa16

Install Guide – V1.2 – Issue back
    1. After reboot I lose a card – could be a riser issue

Known Issues
    None

Steps
    1. Have just one card on the motherboard and plug hdmi/other into graphics card.
    Flash to bios 1.7
    2. BIOS Settings
    a. PCI Subsystem settings PEGO0 & PEGO1 to Gen 1
    b. Above 4G Decoding – Disabled
    c. Ensure the bios is in UEFI mode check in BIOS under settings/bios and Boot mode select should say 'UEFI'. This is very important!!!!!
    3. Install MS Windows
    4. Check you are indeed running in UEFI mode. Open the System Information Utility (Win Key + "R" > "msinfo32" > OK). In system summary, look for "BIOS MODE".
    5. Now move the GPU from the graphics into a riser and plug the hdmi/other cable into the graphics card. This is just to ensure you get video and riser is working.
    6. Now attach all your cards one at a time to ensure you can see them in device manager. Please note they will not be working at this point.
    7. Reboot and enter bios.
    8. Check you can see all your cards in device manager and they will not be working yet.
    9. Install AMD driver and this will take some time and not all the cards will work. Do not restart after driver install and shutdown.
    10. BIOS Change - PCI Subsystem settings - Above 4G Decoding – Enabled. This is to allow the system to see over 4 cards!!!!!
    11. When you reboot all the cards should be working.
    12. Also remember to changes MS Windows performance settings :-
    a. Open Explorer - right mouse click on 'This PC' and choose properties.
    b. Select Advacned System settings on the left hand side.
    c. Click on the button 'Settings' in the performance group.
    Select 'Adjust for best performance'
    d. Reboot and retry.- Advanced system Settings - Performance - set Adjust for best performance.
    13. Re-sequence cards – Got into control panel and uninstall all the card but do not remove the driver. After are short period the cards start to add back in and in the correct order.
    Mining
    1. I get better results on Claymore’s miner on my new 580x.
    a. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1433925.0
    2. Older cards(280x) use genoil-1.1.7
    3. Remember to put a timeout of 20 seconds before you start mining as I have seen some odd issues with MS Windows removing one card.

Bios
    1. You can mod the bios over the risers but ATIFlash UI get confused over 2/3 cards. Tune with one card or another rig before you build your rig. I have a test PC where I test bios mods.

Issues
    1. There seems to be a bug/memory leak with AMD driver 17.4.3 and can cause a crash and one of your cards to be disabled. Reboot first and see if it comes back. Don’t panic!!! Run DDU to remove the driver and re-install. For now I am going to reboot every six hours as there is not enough time in the day. This could be related to Mining – point 3. I have just switched to 17.4.4 user driver steps below.

Changing Driver
    1. DDU uninstall and shutdown
    2. Reboot and go into bios and disable ‘Above 4G Decoding’.
    3. Reboot into windows and install AMD driver. Please note this may take some time and only some of the cards will initialise correctly. Do no restart after install.
    4. Shutdown
    5. Reboot and go into bios and enable ‘Above 4G Decoding’.

Resolved Issues
    1. I keep losing a card after a reboot/time but I am currently testing newer driver/setting changes.
    a. When the driver installs the order of the cards is wrong as they cannot all be initialised. This seems to be important for AMD drivers/motherboard and I have added step 13 to resolve.

Post edited by lablett on

Install Windows correctly first, then set 4G encode to true.

yes
    lablett said:

yes
    Yep all 7 cards are now up and running. I'll leave it as is for now as I'm not sure if modding the bios brakes it. Does it?

lablett said:

yes
    Yep all 7 cards are now up and running. I'll leave it as is for now as I'm not sure if modding the bios brakes it. Does it?
    No, You will just have to unplug most of the cards, you can leave three in and leave the master that is supplying the monitor. It just means you have unplug the risers, power, etc. What cards are you running ?
    lablett said:

lablett said:

yes
    No, You will just have to unplug most of the cards, you can leave three in and leave the master that is supplying the monitor. It just means you have unplug the risers, power, etc. What cards are you running ?
    Hi mate, running 3 470, asus strix, and 4 480, asus dual. I'm now having a problem that when I restarted one of the 470s is not showing up. Trying to get things stable before playing around with modding. Cheers
    Also if I disable a few things in the bios, will it free up resources?

I think you may be having the same problem as me. When you crash a card, by running too quickly or starving of power, then windows disables it. Luckily you just need to go into device manager and remove and then it will get re-installed.
    I still have one odd problem, when I reboot I lose one card(it has a problem in MS windows). Easy to fix by reinstalling card through device manager. Any ideas ?
    edited May 2017
    lablett said:

I still have one odd problem, when I reboot I lose one card(it has a problem in MS windows). Easy to fix by reinstalling card through device manager. Any ideas ?

Me too same issue. Is gen1 necassary? Has anyone got 7 gpus running stable on gaming carbon? I aslo noticed with 6 cards crashes are less frequent
    lablett said:

I think you may be having the same problem as me. When you crash a card, by running too quickly or starving of power, then windows disables it. Luckily you just need to go into device manager and remove and then it will get re-installed.
    My problem is a little different. I have enough power and running at stock but when I do a reboot, normal or after a crash, a random card gets disabled. With 6 cards crashes are less, much less
    I also get the random card being disabled. I thought I was because I was running too fast. Are all your USB cables the same length and have you tried to increase PCI latency ?
    lablett said:

I also get the random card being disabled. I thought I was because I was running too fast. Are all your USB cables the same length and have you tried to increase PCI latency ?

I had this problem, too. Reinstalling the drivers worked for me. Every time there is an issue and the drivers revert back to 16.6, the cards have issues. I have to do a full driver reinstall to get it working properly again. I use the AMD uninstall tool + DDU to do a full uninstall, then reinstall the 16.10.1 drivers. Those seem to be working best for me so far.

lablett said:

I had this problem, too. Reinstalling the drivers worked for me. Every time there is an issue and the drivers revert back to 16.6, the cards have issues. I have to do a full driver reinstall to get it working properly again. I use the AMD uninstall tool + DDU to do a full uninstall, then reinstall the 16.10.1 drivers. Those seem to be working best for me so far.
    When you have a monitor connected do you use the onboard ?
  • otheregootherego Member Posts: 26
    edited May 2017
    lablett said:

lablett said:

Onboard gpu must be disabled for me. If i use it i've not control on my other gpus
    lablett said:

lablett said:

I do not use onboard. Motherboard that I use doesn't have enough resources for 6GPU + onboard. I use a headless HDMI and log in via TeamViewer.
  • starzenstarzen Member Posts: 7
    hi, I have bought same motherboard, while trying to flash with bios file E7A12IMS.170 in the usb stick, the system shows usb but doesn't show the file inside it. I have extracted file directly to the usb stick. (i even changed usb filesystem to fat33 but didnt work)
    starzen said:

hi, I have bought same motherboard, while trying to flash with bios file E7A12IMS.170 in the usb stick, the system shows usb but doesn't show the file inside it. I have extracted file directly to the usb stick. (i even changed usb filesystem to fat33 but didnt work)

Try the following -

1. Format USB stick in windows with default settings.
    2. Extract ROM to desktop.
    3. Copy ROM to root of USB stick.
    4. Boot into bios and select firmware upgrade and then load ROM from USB stick,
  • ghapnayaghapnaya Member Posts: 26
    edited May 2017
    I have problem with this mobo.
    When I config the bios as 4g decoding after boot I got black screen.
    I am sure that windows is uefi mode.
    I thing the problem is my memory.
    I have Just One 4gb memory on mobo.guys is this problem?
    Please someone help me.
    My config
    CPU g3900
    Ram 4 gb
    Hdd 160gb (it is not ssd)
    7gpu as 5x gigabyte rx470 and 1x asus rx470 and asus doul rx480
    Bios version 181
    Windows 10 creators in ufei mode

Post edited by ghapnaya on
    ghapnaya said:

Please someone help me.
    My config
    CPU g3900
    Ram 4 gb
    Bios version 181

have you confirmed in Windows with step 4 from my guide ?
  • ijazjlm1ijazjlm1 Member Posts: 7
    ghapnaya said:

Please someone help me.
    My config
    CPU g3900
    Ram 4 gb
    Bios version 181

I've got same problem when I restart the rig screen goes black but after little bit windows loads up rig is working fine with 6 gpus but just the black screen at the start. Just wait and see if windows loads.
  • dragonmikedragonmike Member Posts: 17
    lablett, should step 5 be done while the PC is running?
  • ghapnayaghapnaya Member Posts: 26
    Problem solved.
    7 gpu recognized but when I want to mine miner sees one of gpus can't load DAG. And sees open cl error 4.
    Restart miner automatically.some times got blue screen.
    Is 7gpu mining on this mobo stable ?
  • narba88narba88 Member Posts: 85
    Are we comfortable with this running on any of the MSI Z170A boards?
  • narba88narba88 Member Posts: 85
    Alnemer said:

What about MSI Z170A GAMING M5

any one upgarde it?

Were you able to find out? Ive been searching. hit n miss. MSI came out with too many versions
  • maheswaranmaheswaran Member Posts: 12
    I have somehow managed to bring all the six cards alive in my win10 with MSI Z170 Krait Gaming mob but there is a another issue that just popped up in the miner program. Claymore miner crashes during Building Open Cl program for GPU5. Please post solutions. My driver version 16.7.2