Quick guide to flash your RX470/RX480 cards

Comments

• jaitomixjaitomix Member Posts: 4
    nicoguzz said:

Guys, i tried to flash my Sapphire Nitro Rx480 4gb but i failed.
    Can someone share any rom for this card please?

I have the same problem, with a sapphire nitro rx 480 4gb.

Any solution?
  • zonozono Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    Hi guys, need some help pls.
    Ystday received RX480 8gb card ( http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/products/amd-radeon-rx-400-series/rx-480-gtr-8gb-dd-led-rx-480p8dfa6 )

win10 pro / x64
    latest AMD driver
    card has samsung memory

I tried to mod bios, I just copyed values from 1750 strap to 2000 strap.
    After bios flash and restart, my card is "unrecognised" by the system - I get that yellow exclamation in device manager.
    AFAIK that was the issue in win7 but not win10.
    Pls help, what am I missing here?

Thanks!
  • Beefcake9000Beefcake9000 Member Posts: 5
    zono said:

Ystday received RX480 8gb card ( http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/products/amd-radeon-rx-400-series/rx-480-gtr-8gb-dd-led-rx-480p8dfa6 )

win10 pro / x64
    latest AMD driver
    card has samsung memory

After bios flash and restart, my card is "unrecognised" by the system - I get that yellow exclamation in device manager.

Thanks!

You should take some time to read past posts, on Win 10 you can't just ati flash and restart. You need to mod so that it 'appears' to be signed. There is a ton of info out there on this topic, I myself posted a similar issue in this same thread.
  • IT_MasterIT_Master Member Posts: 31
    I have a question:
    Can we use MSI RX 480 8GB? At what hashrate?
  • jaitomixjaitomix Member Posts: 4
    jaitomix said:

nicoguzz said:

Guys, i tried to flash my Sapphire Nitro Rx480 4gb but i failed.
    Can someone share any rom for this card please?

I have the same problem, with a sapphire nitro rx 480 4gb.

Any solution?
    Solved. Look for a rom according to the GPU and then flashing the rom, the problem was that there was an error in the flash, I solve it with a post from here.
  • obso1eteobso1ete Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2017
    Fixed my issue

Post edited by obso1ete on
  • colliewuhcolliewuh Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2017
    Please forgive my ignorance. I flashed an rx480 xfx 8gb to get more hash rate and it got less. I flashed it back. My time is limited so I will pay an eth bounty for help. I have 2 rx 480 8gb with dual bios switch. I have two msi rx480 4gb armor editions. Don't laugh I got an xfx rx 560 hashing 12mh and 2 rx 550s at 8mh each. I need help to up my my rate. Not worried about power. My power is cheap here.
  • hostmaghostmag Member Posts: 32
    edited June 2017
    Hello, I own 2 Sapphire rx470 Nitro (non +) dc OC 4gb and i would like to flash bios.
    After saving the bios and open it with Polaris, at Timings, instead of default values, it shows some garbage values...no 1600, 1700, 1800 or 1900 values...
    Dont know what to do...and ideas ?

Thank you
  • FOX1982FOX1982 Member Posts: 3
    I have 2 rigs running with 6 sapphire rx480 8gb each.
    I'm getting 24 mhs in each card.
    I have two main questions.
    What are the recomended settings to increase mhs without flashing the bios.
    And the other question why any of my cards dont have the V bios switch that i see in most pics and videos.
  • ben264ethben264eth Member Posts: 4
    hello guys
    i have an msi rx 480 gaming x 8gb
    can somone help me with making a rom for my card
    i tryied flashing some of the roms shared here but non of them works
    thanks
  • ben264ethben264eth Member Posts: 4
    zono said:

win10 pro / x64
    latest AMD driver
    card has samsung memory

Thanks!

hey i had the same problem i used a pach that was posted here and it worked
    i attached it here flash the rom and before restart use the patch
  • DeynoxDeynox Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I want to flash my RX480 8GB(Samsung) but when I open PolarisBiosEditor I have something like this
    And now I'm afraid to flash my card. Please help guys ;/
  • hosakahosaka Member Posts: 7
    I've seen similar thing on Asus Strix cards, as long as you re-flash the original bios that you saved and then modified yourself, it should be okay to flash 256KB files.
  • JustCauseJustCause Member Posts: 29
    Does anyone know who to tell that OC settings is "safe"?

I have RX 470 Sapphire Nitro 4G (no+) with Hynix memory and i can go as high as 28.8 without any errors or mining stops.

Here is image:

Temperature is ok, Fan speed is ok, but how to tell that GPU is not "overclocked" or set high values? There is no overheating also.

Also, how to use underwolt options correct? When i lower CoreClock power usage goes down. Is that enough or correct option for "underwolt"?
  • corlcorl Member Posts: 3
    Hello can you share your bios ? I have the same card TX
  • Gustavo7777Gustavo7777 Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2017
    Hello i m mining on minergate , i m using claymore i some times give me failover . What is that? What i have to do to fit it ? Attach print screen
  • Gustavo7777Gustavo7777 Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2017
    Hello can anyone tell me how to OC a RX strix 480 8 gb. I m using Gpu Tweak II . What i have to put in GPU clock , GPU voltage , memory clock? Fanspeed? Power target ?
    My ring have
    Motherboard Bios pro TB-250
    8 gb ram
    Power 1300 w gold
    I5 intel prossesor
    Win10 pro . 64 bit
    Rithg now each is 24 mh/s . But i would like to up.

Anyone can tell me please ??
  • DjithBitDjithBit Member Posts: 40
    Why to flash the cards ?
    Is it that huge difference with stock?
    The risk is that you brick the card right? .. im not familiar with changing bios and flashing etc.. guess i have to do it with stock.
  • EMWEEEMWEE Member Posts: 60
    edited July 2017
    The chance you brick you card is very small if u know what you are doing. If u got a card with a bios switch there is zero risk. U can just ask someone to do it for you, its worth the effort.
  • DjithBitDjithBit Member Posts: 40
    Im still waiting for the GPU cards .. ordered MSI geforce gtx 1060 armor 6 CO V1
    But Radeon seems to perform better i read.
  • pau1pau1 Member Posts: 24
    edited July 2017
    DjithBit said:

Why to flash the cards ?
    Is it that huge difference with stock?
    The risk is that you brick the card right? .. im not familiar with changing bios and flashing etc.. guess i have to do it with stock.

It's dead easy to mod the AMD cards.
    1. Download the BIOS
    2. Tweak it in the Polaris editor.
    3. Flash the BIOS (and patch the drivers if in Windows 10).
    Very little risk you're going to mess things up if you're just editing the BIOS you got from the card.
  • speedybspeedyb Member Posts: 57
    hostmag said:

Hello, I own 2 Sapphire rx470 Nitro (non +) dc OC 4gb and i would like to flash bios.
    After saving the bios and open it with Polaris, at Timings, instead of default values, it shows some garbage values...no 1600, 1700, 1800 or 1900 values...
    Dont know what to do...and ideas ?

Thank you

i have this problem to with a saphire nitro 580+ 8gb ram anyone knowwhat to do here as far as copying and repasting the bios strings since its not layed out 1500mhz 1600mhz ect
    ok i figured that out with some other info and flashed. card wworks fine i want to make adjustment to it and i cannot even get the atiflash program open it says error reading from rom? and i havnt selected any rom yet
  • greatauror28greatauror28 Member Posts: 126 ✭✭
    Anyone who has a bios mod + OC that makes Asus rx580 dual oc 8gb hash higher that 29Mh/s?
  • kinnthkinnth Member Posts: 8
    ciprianpt said:

rnahlawi said:

Hi, I have 4x rx470 8gb on Asrock Pro BTC 2.0 with EVGA1200PS and using risers and windows 10.
    I modded bios by altering 1625,1750,2000 values with 1500.
    Using Claymore 8.0, i'm getting 28MH per card at start and then dropping on 2 cards between 20-24!
    I changed location of rizers on the mobo and same result.
    1- what did I miss?
    2- how to undervolt without using wattman or trixx (modded bios maybe)?

Edit: AMD driver 16.11.5

Try 16.9.1. what is the memory type of your cards, Samsung, Hynix, Elpida ? Undervolting with trixx is very easy.. set -mV to -100, -120 or even -150.. 1150 or 1130 gpu clock and 2100 memory clock, if it freeze then lower down with memory clock.
    Just to be really clear, with all of the cards to get the best performance you want to undervolt the whole chip, reduce the core clock slightly but raise the memory frequency as high as possible? I've been doing a normal and full overclock which is to raise all values slight and had poor performance. This is good as I will now focus on the memory overclock
  • EtherminerJayEtherminerJay Member Posts: 157
    @speedyb

@hostmag

Try a different version of Polar BIOS editor - I also had this issue but mine was with 1.2 showing values like you have. After running 1.4 my issue was fixed.

I'd try editor 1.2 and see how you get on
  • kinnthkinnth Member Posts: 8
    Could someone show me how to

"Flash the BIOS (and patch the drivers if in Windows 10)."

I have flashed my cards BIOS but I have done nothing to the drivers in Windows 10. Wasn't aware you needed to patch them in any way?
  • EtherminerJayEtherminerJay Member Posts: 157
    You need pixel patcher. Go to Google type pixel patcher. Click on the first link and download from top comment.

Just simply run once downloaded.
    wait so undervolt to get better memory speed?
  • greatauror28greatauror28 Member Posts: 126 ✭✭
    Went here to find out stuff I don't know yet but saw a massive list of questions from miners that doesn't know squat about BIOS editing nor flashing GPUs.

OP should rename this to "Every questions about BIOS flashing there is in the world wide web; answers not guaranteed"

LOL