Quick guide to flash your RX470/RX480 cards

Comments

• CameronSCameronS Member Posts: 46
    I flashed both of my Sapphire Nitro+ RX470's and for some reason when I check one of the cards using GPU-Z one of them says 0 GPU Clock and 0 memory? But the other mines fine. The one with the messed up gpuclock and memory keeps rejecting shares. Any help? I have flashed them a second time again, etc.
  • GauravastarGauravastar Member Posts: 17
    Did you check the memory before flashing the cards ?
  • GauravastarGauravastar Member Posts: 17
    Check out video, it explains the easy way to overclock Rx 470 cards

• proaffproaff Member Posts: 21
    Hi,

I am currently running 6x Sapphire nitro RX 480 8gb OC. They are currently running at ~25Mh/s each. Unfortunately I just found out they have micron memory which seems to be hard to flash. Has anyone been able to flash micron memory? Is it possible? Or did I just spend 1350€ on wrong GPUs? :cold_sweat:

• jackboxjackbox Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2017
    I have an MSI RX 470 8GB OC with Samsung memory. Can I just copy the 1500 timing strap to all higher straps and reflash the ROM to get better results? And then change speeds with MSI Afterburner (I have no power reading in Afterburner and voltage is locked and I cannot unlock no matter what I do). So far I have one card and it is also used for video out and stock it is getting around 21 to MH/s and dual mining Pacal Coin and getting just under 300 MH/s. Using Claymore dual miner.

• EtherealmsEtherealms Member Posts: 60
    Yes 1500 timing to all above is pretty much the go to way of doing it for the 470. I did the same for mine then overclocked with Afterburner. I sit stable at 27-28Mh/s.
  • geonika777geonika777 Member Posts: 8
  • Mikesco3Mikesco3 Member Posts: 10
    I have to say that I was getting better results before this BIOS, on either of the two variants of MSI RX480 8GB cards that I own.

What I mean by better results is that, before the BIOS mod and just by tweaking around with wattman (I can post the exact numbers later if someone is interested), I was averaging 95MH on four cards consuming about a total of 550W for all of the cards, Mobo, hard drive, etc..

After BIOS mod I could get 29MH per card averaging 110 to 120 MH for the full rig with 4 cards but consuming about 850W and even after undervolting with the MSI utility didn't get power down to about 550W without bringing MH below my previous numbers with wattman.

But I was also using the driver version 16.12 or something like that and that could have something to do with it also.
  • Dunny007Dunny007 Member Posts: 14
    Hi guys have got my 6 gpu rig running today am using z97 extreme 4 mb and 6 x asus dual rx480 8gb cards. Dual mining eth and decred 28mh eth and 850 mh per gpu currently after flashing anyone using these cards or give me any pointer as to if thats good? Any help pointer much appreciated
  • ciprianptciprianpt Member Posts: 219 ✭✭
    Dunny007 said:

Hi guys have got my 6 gpu rig running today am using z97 extreme 4 mb and 6 x asus dual rx480 8gb cards. Dual mining eth and decred 28mh eth and 850 mh per gpu currently after flashing anyone using these cards or give me any pointer as to if thats good? Any help pointer much appreciated

Hey @Dunny007 , yes you hashrate is good, but you can get a bit more with ethereum like 29.5 or even more try to play with dcri, note that this will lower dcr to 800-810, what is the power usage?
    ciprianpt said:

Dunny007 said:

Hey @Dunny007 , yes you hashrate is good, but you can get a bit more with ethereum like 29.5 or even more try to play with dcri, note that this will lower dcr to 800-810, what is the power usage?
    I would try to monitor the watt usage, because even though your MH could be good, you might be consuming too many Watts to where if you had a slightly lower setting you would come out making more profit.
    I suggest using:
    https://cryptocompare.com/mining/calculator/eth

and plug in your actual numbers on the left (find out how much is the electrical company charging you per KW/h and plug the rig into a usage meter such as the Kill A Watt P3 or something like it.

Then your profit ratio percentage will be the number to consider on the link
    Here are my WattMan Settings if anyone wants them...
    They are currently producing average 23.8 MH/s on 4 RX 480 8Gb Cards consuming a total of 550W average.. (including Mobo, HD, PSU, RAM, CPU)
    Cards running at average 60 C average... with fans just right above 1100RPM
    Best MH per Watt performance I've been able to achieve so far...
    GPU      State 0  State 1  State 2  State 3  State 4  State 5  State 6   State 7
      Freq MHz       N/A  610 910  1075  1145  1190  1235  900 
       Volt Crtl mV  N/A  818 825  950  1012  1062  1112  800 

MEMORY                    
       Freq MHz  =  N/A  2000  N/A N/A  N/A  N/A  N/A  N/A 
       Volt Crtl mV  N/A 800   N/A  N/A  N/A  N/A  N/A N/A 

FAN                    
       Speed RPM  2000 2000            
       Min Acc Limit MHz  910              

TEMPERATURE                    
       Temp C  =  90 72             
       Powr Limt %  -30              
  • Dunny007Dunny007 Member Posts: 14
    Many thanks still having some teething problems w ith dual running as its stopped again today when im at work so will investigate later going to get a power plug so i can monitor them tho will prob drop and focus single mining as 2 cards are consistantly running high 70 degrees. Doesnt seem to much about on the cards i have though. Asus dual rx480 8gb cards. As always any help advice welcome cheers
  • EtherionEtherion Member Posts: 95
    edited April 2017
    I need some help with moding. I can do the flash as the guid say but moding the bios is where I have a problem.

I have moded my MSI Gaming RX480 4Gb by copying the timing from 1500 up to 2000 and running 1303/1950 core/mem. I get 28.2MHs

but my new Asus Dual RX480 4Gb aren't so happy when I do that. I have dropped the memory speed to 1800 and still get gpu errors. is it the timing?
    Post edited by Etherion on
  • EtherionEtherion Member Posts: 95
    Ok looks like I got this working. copyed 1625 up and memory set to 1900. The Asus has Samsung memory
  • Beefcake9000Beefcake9000 Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2017
    @Everyone, I've had a pretty rough time with Memory Strapping and getting the AMD driver(s) to be recognized afterwards(ie strapping 1500 mem value up to 2000). I have the following 3 rigs:
    1. HP z620 running one MSI 'blower style' rx480 4gb (modded successfully on win 10 pro x64).
    2. One MSI X99S SLI with 3xMSI 'blower style' rx480 4gb GPUs on win 10 64x--> Fails to load AMD driver from 16.1 - 17.4.3 after bios mod.
    3. One Gigabyte X99P rev 1.0 MB with one MSI 'blower style' rx480 4gb running on win 7 pro 64x--> Fails to load AMD driver from 16.1 - 17.4.3 after bios mod.
    Guys I've wasted several weekends trouble shooting with no luck on understanding why the drivers fail to load after the mod (uninstall/reinstall still nothing)... Pls help, note that I've tried the shift+restart and disabled driver sign but to no avail.. :'(
    Post edited by Beefcake9000 on
  • changechange Member Posts: 40
    Hi guys, I have just flashed my RX470 4GB and it has gone from ~20 Mh/s to ~23 Mh/s

Very happy as its my first proper mod! Seems to be running OK and the temp is a very stable ~50c

thanks for the guide!
  • iamnoobplzhelpiamnoobplzhelp Member Posts: 239 ✭✭

@Everyone, I've had a pretty rough time with Memory Strapping and getting the AMD driver(s) to be recognized afterwards(ie strapping 1500 mem value up to 2000). I have the following 3 rigs:

1. HP z620 running one MSI 'blower style' rx480 4gb (modded successfully on win 10 pro x64).
    2. One MSI X99S SLI with 3xMSI 'blower style' rx480 4gb GPUs on win 10 64x--> Fails to load AMD driver from 16.1 - 17.4.3 after bios mod.
    3. One Gigabyte X99P rev 1.0 MB with one MSI 'blower style' rx480 4gb running on win 7 pro 64x--> Fails to load AMD driver from 16.1 - 17.4.3 after bios mod.
    Guys I've wasted several weekends trouble shooting with no luck on understanding why the drivers fail to load after the mod (uninstall/reinstall still nothing)... Pls help, note that I've tried the shift+restart and disabled driver sign but to no avail.. :'(
    Have you tried using the driver patcher? Google search for atikmdag-patcher. Run it, then restart.
  • King_MKing_M Member Posts: 22
    Hello, anyone has tested Asus rx480 4gb oc bios settings with samsung memory, at stock card has 25mhz
  • someotherminersomeotherminer Member Posts: 1
    Hello Everyone, I am new to this forum but not to mining, I would like to ask if anyone has a stable bios mod for the sapphire nitro+ 8GB, I used to mine on Ubuntu when I had R9 cards, but then I sold them because they draw to much power, I started building rigs with RX480 but the fglrx driver doesn't support them, I went and tried the new AMD GPU driver and modified the bios of my RX480 by coping the 1750 strap to the 2000, I got about 27.5 MH but had to install windows in order to be able to overclock and get to 30 MH, in my opinion my rigs were more stable when in Linux and would like to go back, I have recently purchased the new Spahire RX 580 8 GB and right now I am building, but I am still forced to use windows until I can get a 30 Mh bios....

Have you tried using the driver patcher? Google search for atikmdag-patcher. Run it, then restart.
    I really appreciate the reply, and yes I found the atikmdag-patcher a few days ago, however my issue with it is once I run it my OS only sees one GPU out of the 3. I must be doing something wrong. I hate to keep taking an earning rig down to experiment.. But the benefit of going from 22.5MH/s to 28 is worth it. Also, I noticed that Samsung memory model cards stock run 24.5MH/s unfortunately most of my cards are Hynix @22.5 stock.

I really appreciate the reply, and yes I found the atikmdag-patcher a few days ago, however my issue with it is once I run it my OS only sees one GPU out of the 3. I must be doing something wrong. I hate to keep taking an earning rig down to experiment.. But the benefit of going from 22.5MH/s to 28 is worth it. Also, I noticed that Samsung memory model cards stock run 24.5MH/s unfortunately most of my cards are Hynix @22.5 stock.
    If anyone else runs into this same issue w/multiple GPUs the way I was able to finally get it to work was to:
    1) Manually mod my own bios's.
    2) Uninstall current driver and reboot with Shift+Reboot > disable signature
    3) Install 16.12 driver w/o reboot
    4) Run atikmdag and reboot..

I found that one of my GPUs didn't like the OC setting I was using with my newer driver so pay close attn to that or your hashrate will suffer. Thanks for the community support!!
  • DavidStantonDavidStanton Member Posts: 5
    Hello all. I am brand new! Yep my first full week of ethereum mining and my projected montly income is now setting at 4.39.

I am seeking a bit of advice. I started with one XFX Radeon 470 4gb gpu. I wanted to work out the bugs. I was hitting 20.00 MH straight out of the box. Then I watched all sorts of youtube videos and read all that I could including these posting here.

BAD RESULTS ! : : : After my changing the entries I uploaded and rebooted only to see my hash rate DROP to "5" I have tried to restore the original bios but still did not work. I used to gpuz and you can see that my GPU Clock is 610 MHZ and Memeory is 875MHZ. This is in fact HALF of what it should be. IF you want to see it https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/details/4yyx9

MY REQUEST..... I would like to restore to original bios settings. I have tried to find it on the net but nothing is working. My GPU is now dead.

Any help or direction would greatly be appreciated.

Best Regards

David
  • thepixelgeekthepixelgeek PhillyMember Posts: 96
    edited May 2017
    What steps did you take, exactly, when updating the bios? What programs? Did you save original bios? If so, what programs did you use?

And provide driver version and system specs.
    edited May 2017
    Sorry, edited this.. If you don't have your original bios, search hard in these forums and see if you can get someone to lend you a copy of theirs. Every online process I have ever seen on bios modding first tells you to backup your original bios. This might be a $180 lesson if you can't find an original. Good luck!

Note: One single google search for me shows this for your card and gives you the option to download/search...
  • hossenhossen Member Posts: 1
    I'm getting an steady average of 66 MH/s from three Sapphire Nitro RX 580's. The system consumes 700W. This doesn't seem optimum. Should I flash 580s with RX 480's resources?
  • ShnikesShnikes Member Posts: 22
    First Post - Very grateful for this community.

Has anyone be able to flash PC Red Devil rx 470 4g? I'm running 4 currently and tried flashing two of them separately and bricked them both. Black screen on start up. PC won't recognize them. I've been over the instructions multiple times and don't think I'm missing a step?
    1. Confirm Memory (Hynix)
    2. Back up OG rom
    3. Tune Rom - Copy 1500 values down
    4. Flash and enjoy?

Thankfully I've followed the advice in here and used my backed up original roms and was able to re-flash the dead cards. Currently running stock around 22mh/s a piece.
  • Swimmer63Swimmer63 Member Posts: 35
    I have a number of rigs with a mish-mash of gpus. But I do have one rig with all Gigabyte RX 480 8gb cards. I am running Claymore, but ETH only right now. Every card gets about 24.8 Mh/s, very steady. Default Clock is 1290 and Memory is 2000, Power draw GPU only is between 97-103 depending on the card.
    So if I were to mod these cards according to the OP's instructions, what kind of improvements do you think I would get on the above number? I'm trying to decide if it's worth messing with it or not.
    Thanks!
  • nicoguzznicoguzz Member Posts: 16
    Guys, i tried to flash my Sapphire Nitro Rx480 4gb but i failed.
    Can someone share any rom for this card please?
  • stefbeaustefbeau Member Posts: 13
    Hello,

My mining rig has 6x Powercolor Red Devil RX 470 4Gb. I am running Claymore on ETH only.
    Every card is about 28.3 Mh/s, so a global reported hashrate of 170 Mh/s. Ethernet connection with fiber optics on the box.
    Pretty stable, very good numbers, custom using MSI Afterburner:
    * Core Voltage -60 mV
    * Core Clock 1130 Mhz
    * Memory Clock 2055 Mhz
    * Fan Speed 75%
    * Global voltage around 962mV

Probably could be more power efficient. But considering the rise of difficulty for mining ETH...

I am mining on ethermine.org, with a current effective hashate between 140 Mh/s and 180Mh/s.
    But the average effective hashrate is ONLY 133 Mh/s.

Do you think this is set up correctly and i should get more hashrate from ethermine? No clear answer on their side.
    Or is it linked to my connection?
    Should i mine on another pool?

ONE thing to mention is that not so long ago (2 weeks?) i would retrieve 1 ETH every 4 days, now it's within 7 days...

Thx!