Modded Bios Thread / RX4xx and RX 5xx / 4 & 8GB Models

Comments

• KinoseiKinosei Member Posts: 3
    Hey @eonezzz, Like everyone else, I'm trying to get my MSI Rx 480 4gb cards working faster. Currently getting 23Mh stock. I'm using ethOS, but can move a card over to a Win10 computer to configure and move it back if needed. If you have time, send me a message over skype: gary85lockwood
  • xiTzTHATGaMeRxxiTzTHATGaMeRx Member Posts: 34
    Anyone able to get the Asus Strix 4gb 470's above 27 MH/s? my Elpida is running almost exactly 27MH/s and my 2 Hynix are running 26.65 MH/s
  • Hytech2kHytech2k Member Posts: 130 ✭✭

Anyone able to get the Asus Strix 4gb 470's above 27 MH/s? my Elpida is running almost exactly 27MH/s and my 2 Hynix are running 26.65 MH/s

I have 2 of them doing 28.9. Not bad cards especially for the money, MSI's are crazy high right now...
  • Wolf0Wolf0 Member Posts: 329 ✭✭✭
    Kinosei said:

Hey @eonezzz, Like everyone else, I'm trying to get my MSI Rx 480 4gb cards working faster. Currently getting 23Mh stock. I'm using ethOS, but can move a card over to a Win10 computer to configure and move it back if needed. If you have time, send me a message over skype: gary85lockwood

My MSI 480 4G Gaming X I can get to 30 - 31MH/s on Linux.
  • moirainemoiraine Member Posts: 11
    edited April 2017
    @listman @narba88 any luck? I've also got the armor 4gb 480 hynix and it wont do more than 26/27. Im running 1275/1900 with 1500 strap. Mem can't go higher without errors, and I can push core but no point afaik. Also, the bios for these cards don't support undervolting :(, so the only way to get it lower is to force it with wattman in windows :disappointed:

@eonezzz Are you doing anything other than mem straps?

@Heliox I get that it may be impossible to exactly tell us how, but could you give us a hint as to how you're coming up with your custom mem timings? I'm hoping that I could just plop your timings from any hynix roms you've released into mine, but I have a feeling it wont be anywhere near that easy...

I'm so mad about not being able to undervolttttttt

Any help is appreciated!

EDIT: After a bit of research it seems the key is to increase the memv to ~1.1v, and accept that SOME small number of memory errors in hwmon is acceptable. Since I can't undervolt via bios and I'm (probably) not going to switch to windows the undervolting is probably out, but I'll flash em up to 1950 where I was getting some mem errors and report back...
    Post edited by moiraine on
    moiraine said:

@listman @narba88 any luck? I've also got the armor 4gb 480 hynix and it wont do more than 26/27. Im running 1275/1900 with 1500 strap. Mem can't go higher without errors, and I can push core but no point afaik. Also, the bios for these cards don't support undervolting :(, so the only way to get it lower is to force it with wattman in windows :disappointed:

@Heliox I get that it may be impossible to exactly tell us how, but could you give us a hint as to how you're coming up with your custom mem timings? I'm hoping that I could just plop your timings from any hynix roms you've released into mine, but I have a feeling it wont be anywhere near that easy...

Any help is appreciated!

EDIT: After a bit of research it seems the key is to increase the memv to ~1.1v, and accept that SOME small number of memory errors in hwmon is acceptable. Since I can't undervolt via bios and I'm (probably) not going to switch to windows the undervolting is probably out, but I'll flash em up to 1950 where I was getting some mem errors and report back...

You can undervolt most cards, but it requires some VBIOS work.
    @Wolf0 Yup I tried followed the steps in the video guide to a T, and set the 8D reg to 00 00 (after doing all the table offset stuff), but it wouldn't mine, but windows detected it and everything. I'm guessing the steps aren't exactly the same for polaris :/

also @listman I've sent my bios, but I know I can hit the 27.5~ you mentioned, but I get memerrors occasionally, which results in rejected shares.
    moiraine said:

@Wolf0 Yup I tried followed the steps in the video guide to a T, and set the 8D reg to 00 00 (after doing all the table offset stuff), but it wouldn't mine, but windows detected it and everything. I'm guessing the steps aren't exactly the same for polaris :/

also @listman I've sent my bios, but I know I can hit the 27.5~ you mentioned, but I get memerrors occasionally, which results in rejected shares.

I've done it flawlessly for Polaris, so I know it can be done (unless it's one of those shit XFX ones using a strange voltage controller.)
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    moiraine said:

Any help is appreciated!

Hey @moiraine ,

Very good, i've been able to get all my 100+ cards near 31Mh while an entire rig (6x480) consumes less than 800 watt :)

So i can't complain :)

Just to be clear (again), you cannot modify memory voltage, you can however modify the voltage given to the controller, aka vddci.
    Wolf0 said:

moiraine said:

I've done it flawlessly for Polaris, so I know it can be done (unless it's one of those shit XFX ones using a strange voltage controller.)
    Yeah, you're welcome for that..

True, XFX is one of the few that doesn't take VDDC offset very well, but there is an alternative solution for that :)

Greetings!
    Thanks @listman ! You were right, they CAN do 28mh @1100/1950, but with random mem errs. It's pretty odd, when I first flashed it, they all ran without any errors for ~5hrs. Then I restart, a bunch of em start spewing hwerrs. I'll keep lowering them mem till there's less than <100k in an hour if possible, but your straps definitely seem to have helped!

@Wolf0 Is there some step missing in the video for fury cards( I may have just done something wrong, although the steps seemed somewhat straightforward to me. (I'd be more than willing to re-attempt it, but I just have no clue what I messed up.)

I was able to undervolt by setting all the higher (4 and up iirc) power states to a lower clock, and fixing them to 1000mv. I've read around that the mv fields in PBE do nothing, but it strangely seems to be working, or it may be just because of the lower clocks...I wish I knew, but at least it works! :sweat_smile:

@Heliox it *sounds* like you're hinting that I should be adjusting the vddci to get stable(r) higher memclocks, although it's not in PBE(unless the memory vdcc field actually does something) so it sounds like more hex fun. I'll look around and see what I can dig up and report back.

Also 6x480 @ 800w is insane.. I have 4x @ 600w at the wall so I'll take it. It also has a 4770k because I'm dumb...

I still have no idea how you get hynix cards to 2100 TT.
    Well from https://forum.z.cash/t/miner-optiminer-zcash-gpu-miner-v1-7/8109/604 he says you need to add an 8E entry to VoltageInfo Table, and then do all the offset fixing stuff that I failed to do from the video... I'll give it another shot in the morning; where is he getting the entry info I wonder(the "8E")....

• listmanlistman Member Posts: 51
    moiraine said:

Thanks @listman ! You were right, they CAN do 28mh @1100/1950, but with random mem errs. It's pretty odd, when I first flashed it, they all ran without any errors for ~5hrs. Then I restart, a bunch of em start spewing hwerrs. I'll keep lowering them mem till there's less than

No worries, copying straps is no secret and no reason not to share that info. People who want to charge for moving some straps around and change a few settings with wattman or afterburner are a bunch of freaking aholes ;-P good luck.
    @Heliox I know you're a linux miner, what driver do you use for 480s? I'm currently using amdgpu-pro, but no tools seem to work (atiflash, amdmeminfo...) I'd like to not have to use my windows partition if possible, but I always have to go back to flash and it's annoying >.<
  • narba88narba88 Member Posts: 85
    @moiraine Currently, I have my 480 4GB Gaming X @ 26.9 however. I have gotten them at 27. I have the Armor OC running at 27.7 constant for hours. Ive played with it fairly little. Not enough yet. @listman and I talk often about this stuff but hes more knowledgeable than I. I do play with the core/mem a little. I see increments of only .5 from it though
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    moiraine said:

@Heliox I know you're a linux miner, what driver do you use for 480s? I'm currently using amdgpu-pro, but no tools seem to work (atiflash, amdmeminfo...) I'd like to not have to use my windows partition if possible, but I always have to go back to flash and it's annoying >.<</p>

Amdgpupro 16.6 will do just fine.

Atiflash is publicly available for linux if you search hard enough.

But i'll save you the pain.

Greetings!
  • eonezzzeonezzz Member Posts: 34
    Kinosei said:

added, talk on skype!

thanks,
    edited April 2017
    @Heliox thanks! Finally a binary that works...
    In other news I tried and failed to add vdcc and vdcii to a rom again, except this time it wouldn't even boot windows w/it flashed. Would anyone mind taking a look and hinting me in the right direction? (hopefully @Wolf0 )

I've attached the original and the (bad) vdcc+vdcci (8D and 8E added) versions.

If anything, could you compare the output of your offset adding tool to at least tell me if I got it right? At least then I could give up knowing they just can't do it.

EDIT: Also tried messing around with OhGodATool with no luck. No voltage changes I make there have any impact, just like PBE(which I guess is to be expected), but at least I'm able to do it all on linux now! :smile:
    Post edited by moiraine on
    Ok after hours and hours, I got it to work. Turns out I also needed the vmax register too to get it to work at all. Either that or I got lucky on the 5th try. VDCCI seemed to have took aswell, but now to see if that will help with mem clocks at all...
  • ndavisjndavisj Member Posts: 1
    I was running EthOS with 5 sapphire 480 nitro+ OC 4gb 21mh/s out of the box. EthOS would not let me go above 1750 mem. When I'd set them in config they wouldn't mine and would default to the minimum of 300. However I threw one in my windows machine and got it easily to 26mh/s just with afterburner at 1240 core and 1950mem. Any idea why it won't accept the higher mem on EthOS? I looked into flashing my 4gb to 8gb but couldn't find a match to my bios. Also when I tried editing my Bios the Timing section was completely blank.

I will give wattman a try now.
  • DutchmultiDutchmulti Member Posts: 6
    Whats the best hash rate possible on the radeon rx480 8 gig gaming? could not get them better then 27 mh/s. The radeon 470 4 gig gaming i got at 29,6 mh/s i can not find the right bios settings for the 480s most on youtube is about rx480 nitro...
    moiraine said:

Ok after hours and hours, I got it to work. Turns out I also needed the vmax register too to get it to work at all. Either that or I got lucky on the 5th try. VDCCI seemed to have took aswell, but now to see if that will help with mem clocks at all...

0x8E is not actually VDDCI, nor is it specifically MVDDC. It is Loop 2 of the voltage controller chip - whatever may be on it.
    @Wolf0 yup, I was looking at the google doc for the register values: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WKZDKJlBvmRXwIKE5P-Shzu4iJ6YpuLRqYJr00gdeR0
    and realized that...

Anyway, any changes to 8E seem to have no impact whatsoever to the card, even power usage is the same. So I'm guessing it's either hooked up to nothing(or more likely, something else), or something's limiting it. I was considering messing with the other ones (0x93/0x94 mainly) but now I'm away and can't boot windows to check for mem errors anyway sooooo yup.

It's pretty odd.. my stock bios had none of these values at all until I added them. I'll dig around of the bioses of other cards and see what registers/values are (somewhat)safe to add, but it might be a crapshoot since they could be connected to different things on different cards ><.

I still hate my shit hynix w/its 1900 clocks though.
  • mayhemvladmayhemvlad Member Posts: 5
    Hey guys. This is my first post. Been reading through everything. You guys are awesome, so i am hoping someone can help me.

So i recently built a GPU mining rig. I have 4(Soon to be 6) MSI RX 480 Armor 4G OCs (Hynix), running on Windows 10. With Claymore on single mining mode i am getting no more than 22 MH/s per card which is pretty low in my opinion for a RX 480. I have watched a bunch of tutorials on Flashing the bios with ATIFlash and copying and pasting the 1500 timing over the bigger timing numbers. Unfortunately, whenever I flash the bios and reboot, my system does not recognize my GPUs no matter what I do. I also can't get any performance increase by increasing the Mem clock in MSI Afterburner. My driver is Crimson 16.6 Anyone have any idea what might be wrong or have a ROM for MSI RX 480 Armor 4G OCs (Hynix)?

you need the patch for the drivers,or use an older driver, search for atikmdag-patcher
  • iamnoobplzhelpiamnoobplzhelp Member Posts: 239 ✭✭
    This ROM helped me with the MSI RX 480 4GB. I was able to get it running at 28mh/s stable.
    edited April 2017

This ROM helped me with the MSI RX 480 4GB. I was able to get it running at 28mh/s stable.

Which ROM is that? I don't see a ROM linked. Am I missing something?
    Post edited by mayhemvlad on
    listman said:

you need the patch for the drivers,or use an older driver, search for atikmdag-patcher

Can you please elaborate a little bit? Which old drivers do i need to switch to? If not...this patcher will let me modify the bios with the new drivers?
    ok, the current amd driver does not allow you to use a card with a modified bios, new driver has an unsigned bios check, i dont know the last driver that doesnt have this so I just use the patch. All the patch does is allow you to bypass the signature check allowing your card to be recognized by windows again. So, install any amd driver, mod your bios and before you restart run the patch, all done.
    listman said:

ok, the current amd driver does not allow you to use a card with a modified bios, new driver has an unsigned bios check, i dont know the last driver that doesnt have this so I just use the patch. All the patch does is allow you to bypass the signature check allowing your card to be recognized by windows again. So, install any amd driver, mod your bios and before you restart run the patch, all done.

Thank you. Now hopefully I can sort out a ROM from somewhere and i should be good to go. If I am successful i will post screen shots of the difference.
    edited April 2017

Thank you so much guys! Went from ~22 to ~29. Basically added am extra RX 480 via efficiency. Running at 665 Watts. Will update when i get two more cards.

<3