BitCongress - BLOCKCHAIN BASED VOTING SYSTEM

2»

Comments

• BitcoinKineticsBitcoinKinetics Member Posts: 8
    The Borda count is a single-winner election method in which voters rank options or candidates in order of preference. The Borda count, BC, determines the outcome of a debate or the winner of an election by giving each option or candidate a certain number of points corresponding to the position in which it, or he or she, is ranked by each voter. Once all votes have been counted the option or candidate with the most points is the winner. Because it sometimes elects broadly acceptable options or candidates, rather than those preferred by the majority, the Borda count is often described as a consensus-based voting system, rather than a majoritarian one. The BC, or rather the Modified Borda Count, MBC, is ideally suited for decision-making; for elections, and especially when proportional representation is important, the appropriate methodology is the Quota Borda System, QBS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borda_count
    "They use a Borda error correcting protocol that checks the integrity of the data and trips the VGL system." - John Titor

http://www.cs.ut.ee/~lipmaa/papers/voting4hb.pdf

http://books.google.com/books?id=Lyte2yl1SPAC&dq=borda+error+correcting+protocol&source=gbs_navlinks_s

• StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    Morgan, thanks for the update, let us know how you get on with the Sybil attack problem (I'm afraid common to all electronic voting systems).
    ill be working on it
  • vruzvruz Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys,

I realise this is a months-old thread, maybe not many people are tracking it anymore, but

I thought I'd answer to @Jack‌:

If Ethereum is similar to Bitcoin under the hood (which I haven't looked into yet) I assume you can probably have something akin to BTC's satoshis, there are 10^8 satoshis in one bitcoin.
    In Bitcoin-world, you can take BTC$ 1 and issue 100,000,000 satoshis to 100,000,000 people, which is enough for most state-level elections in most of the world.
    You issue the satoshis to every and you create a number of accounts, one per party, or electable option. People send this satoshi to the account they want to vote.
    The balance of each account is the total votes, simple as that.
    Of course some checks must be developed to discard satoshis which weren't issued by you, moving them to a different account.

I would like to test this concept using Ethereum, but first I need to mine some Ethereum coins, or at least E$ 1 to get started with.
    I'm currently researching various options and various techniques using different altcoins, I thought I'd give Ethereum a try.
    I would like to have a working prototype, say in the next 1-2 months.

Anyone who would like to get a prototype working, I would love to collaborate/learn/help/work with to get this proof-of-concept done.

I'm starting with the obvious, reading the FAQ, the papers, wikis, and everything that is here in the forum.
    Any pointers you would like to suggest?

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • TuskTusk Member Posts: 33
    Hi Vruz, Have you looked at bitvote?
    I think it offers some very interesting possibilities.
  • harveybastidasharveybastidas Member Posts: 20
    edited June 2014
    Ok, i think voting is not a good Democracy implementation, it is like a popularity contest, if you consider Democracy as a control of the people over the gubernamental machinery to make this machine work as efficiently as possible, in a ideal situation, a real Democracy would be implemented somehow as a way of descentraliced verification of the eficiency of each public server in its ideal well defined work functions and behaviour, not voting for a candidate but voting to obtain a measure of a public worker efficiency and escalating jerarquical job positions based on that, not based in a vote system that i consider obsolete and stupid because it is exploitable by media control since it was created, and is a popularity contest, not an efficiency contest as it should.

I know this does not help much in the discussion, but i point that the vote as we know it has NO large impact in a real Democracy (control of the people), and this has been exploited by populists and corrupts since the beginning of it's existence.

So a change of paradigm in the democracy instead a new voting system would be other nice idea for a project or a nice addition to this, if i can help i will jejeje , but i am no politician.

Some form of DAO for government and justice should be the answer, but i doubt it will be accepted by any politician.
    Post edited by harveybastidas on
  • gseletkogseletko Member Posts: 1
    @‌harveybastidas:

What you seem to be describing is a representative democracy vs a participatory democracy.

A crypto-based voting system, if/when it's created and implemented would firstly be adopted by the representative democracy that we're in now, but once accepted it would also allow for an easy transition into a participatory democracy model which I think is the goal here.

It wouldn't be all that difficult for the general populace to be in on the decision making that usually takes place in running a country with a secure and open voting system as described above, but first we'd have to get it developed/implemented and adopted by the current system.
  • andrewcstewartandrewcstewart Member Posts: 1
    @gselekto

I imagine there's a use for having both representative and participatory models. In fact one area of interest in all of this is the idea that different classes of decision require different decision models. This also applies to issues of scale and locality. Built-in federalism would be interesting.
  • BitCongressBitCongress Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2014
    BitCongress Whitepaper is now online