Are older motherboards fine for mining?

remek4x4remek4x4 Republic of PolandMember Posts: 76
Hi there guys, I was wondering if there is anything against building a rig with older hardware, I mean Core2Duo 2,3GHz on a P35 chipset motherboard.
What should I worry about? Have you ever had any problems with dated mobos?

Comments

• CryptoManiacCryptoManiac Member Posts: 49
    I got couple rigs on very old mb. They mining just the same like H81 pro btc.
  • storpstorp Member Posts: 23
    Should work fine, I use an ancient Dell Dimension w core2duo (from 2006 I believe) as a test rig but are limited by it's 3 pci-e slots.
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    I would actually say some of the older boards and chipsets are more stable then a lot of the modern mainstream stuff.
  • remek4x4remek4x4 Republic of PolandMember Posts: 76
    Thanks for input guys :)
  • HelloWorldHelloWorld Member Posts: 8
    My test MBs Asus P5B Deluxe wifi (P965) and Asus P5K (P35) :) with Xeons 5420L work slightly faster, then H97,H81 with G1840 :)
  • ThehodThehod Member Posts: 2
    @HelloWorld Hi, i know this was last year but I'm struggling with my p5k deluxe: i cant get it to recognise the third GPU in pcie x 16 slot 2, code 12 not enough resources. Did you have this trouble and is there a way round by disabling things that share the same IRQ? Thanks for any hints!
  • BUTUZBUTUZ Member Posts: 139 ✭✭
    They work but can be awful at electricity usage. That core2duo probably uses 50+watts at idle. A more modern board and low end cpu use 20-25w at idle.
  • remek4x4remek4x4 Republic of PolandMember Posts: 76
    Thehod said:

@HelloWorld Hi, i know this was last year but I'm struggling with my p5k deluxe: i cant get it to recognise the third GPU in pcie x 16 slot 2, code 12 not enough resources. Did you have this trouble and is there a way round by disabling things that share the same IRQ? Thanks for any hints!

AFAIK the second PCIe slot shares line with all the x1's, the manual says you can either use the second x16 or all of the x1's. I do not know of any workaround to make it work.
  • ThehodThehod Member Posts: 2
    remek4x4 said:

Thehod said:

AFAIK the second PCIe slot shares line with all the x1's, the manual says you can either use the second x16 or all of the x1's. I do not know of any workaround to make it work.
    Thanks Bro, I used both PCIE x1 and the first PCIE x16 slot in the end, apparently no conflicts as the manual states the first two slots don't share lanes. Appreciate the reply :)
  • im_greenieim_greenie Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2017
    Hello everyone, I tried making a new thread but it isn't getting approved\spamfiltered

Hopefully someone will be able to help me:

I'm a relatively new miner to ethereum

I dabbled in mining back when bitcoin wasn't profitable, but alas these many years later i now see i could have been rich hadn't i formatted that hard disk a million times since then. But I digress

Today I'm here asking desperately for help. I've tried every online resource available to no avail

My miner crashes after OpenCL - this leads me to believe it's a driver issue

However, when I first hooked up the rig and got all the startup problems resolved, the Win7 that was on the hard drive did a test run and even mined a lucky share, without any crash.

After hooking up the other cards, I flashed the bios on one of the XFXs (I already have a rig running so I'm pretty sure i did it correctly) and it crashed but i tried again on the default bios, too - crashed again. I tried Win10 then since people online reported less issues with it, same thing.
    Disabled any overclocking in Afterburner - same crash, I tried Win7 again, same crash.

SPECS:

Gigabyte EP45-DS4 with latest bios
    E5400 Dual Core 2.7
    2x 1GB DDR2 Kingston (667) RAM
    RealPower 650W > mobo + 1 card + SSD
    Corsair TX750 > 4 cards
    -hooked in series? with a psu connector from ebay, i power them both on at the same time
    5x XFX RX480 8GB
    -three on 1x risers 1 directly on second PCIE 16x on the motherboard and one on 16x risers from the last 16x PCIE slot
    SSD Samsung 60GB
    Win10 Pro Pre-activated [gen2]

MSI RX470 (inactive)

So. Why does my miner crash after OpenCL, and what can I do about it?

I have 16GB Virtual memory set. I tried a wide range of drivers, each one safely removed and reinstalled with DDU in safe mode.
    Before I go into any purchases, I'd like to get some more experienced advice
    Additionally, Win10 also reads only 2 cards, while on Win7 I had all 5 cards detected, but couldn't manage the 5th (options were greyed out)
    I found online that this motherboard's 16x slot shares the lane with 1x (post above) so this might be part of the problem, but then again some russian forum that I translated mentioned a guy plugging in 1 card, having everything work, and then plugging the remaining 5 at once after that and everything worked for him right then and there

I tried to give as much information as possible. I know my way around computers more than the average Joe, but I'm by no means expert! I don't know much about the inner workings of the motherboards, and I have to admit the electricity part of it i don't perfectly understand so I might have done something wrong (I'm a civil engineer :p )
    Please offer any sage advice or roasts, as preferred.

I have a pic of the build if it helps