5 x sapphire rx 470 nitro 8gb temp

amd1361amd1361 Member Posts: 26
hi
I have just started mining with 5 x sapphire rx 470 nitro 8gb in windows 10.
here is the info of the cards:
gpu 1 : temp 74 c fan speed 38% , 109watt
gpu 2 : temp 74 c fan speed 40% , 106 watt
gpu 3 : temp 74 c fan speed 36% , 99 watt
gpu 4 : temp 74 c fan speed 38% , 106 watt
gpu 5 : temp 74 c fan speed 43% , 110 watt
my average hashrate is 128mh
Is the temp ,fan speed ,hashrate and the power consumption of the gpus ok ,or do i have to tweak(fan speed,voltage,...)
Thanks

Comments

• drizzt_do_urdendrizzt_do_urden Member Posts: 181 ✭✭✭
    on hashrate you can do better if cards have good asic quality. around 27 mhs per card. power consumption is in GPU-Z or at the wall. If GPU-Z then it is very high. If at the wall then it is good. fan speed and temp looks fine. but if you don't mind the noise then you can go lower on temp.
  • jsanzspjsanzsp Member Posts: 195 ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    for me your temps are too high, increase fan speeds.

at voltages can not help you, my rigs 470 4gb nitro run at 1870/870 1060/870- 50,58 degrees
  • HasLuxHasLux Member Posts: 48
    I apologize for seeing this so late but here is your answer... No, these are horrible results. My custom BIOS achieves 27.1MH/s and only uses 75 watts per GPU from the wall. The card temps never get above 50C and these things with the right bios modifications run stable. I've never had a driver crash or anything. In fact some times once a month I ssh into my rigs to restart the miner and do other maintenance(I'm running linux tho). I do not do voltage modifications. For ETHASH the core clock frequency on these cards are way higher than they need to be but there is some room to boost the memory clocks on the 8GB version you have because they have higher quality samsung memory. With an adjustment in memory timing, a slight boost(from the bios) of the memory clock, and dropping the core clock down to about 1090 you can achieve these results as well. I run my fans at 100%. Fans are cheap to replace... GPU's are not.
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    @HasLux I disagree completely about fans btw. I never run mine at 100%, instead targeting below 75 degrees (since it's the winter now and the heat is welcome, I'm using a curve targeting 85 degrees).

I've had GPUs running for over 3 years like this without a single GPU failure. I have had to replace a few tri-x fans tho, and I definitely wouldn't say that was cheap.
  • oberober Member Posts: 18
    You can always mount directly on your card cheap 3USD no PWM fans with zip ties. That works with my 7950 :)
  • wonderfullifewonderfullife Member Posts: 103
    edited December 2016
    HasLux said:

My custom BIOS achieves 27.1MH/s and only uses 75 watts per GPU from the wall.

Please dont tell me you measured those 75 W AT THE WALL with gpu-z or msi ab or any other thing that shows only the chips power consumption.

Hey guys my are Rx 480s are doing 80W at THE WALL and 30.2 Mhs/s .. yeah sure they do.

• HasLuxHasLux Member Posts: 48

HasLux said:

My custom BIOS achieves 27.1MH/s and only uses 75 watts per GPU from the wall.

Please dont tell me you measured those 75 W AT THE WALL with gpu-z or msi ab or any other thing that shows only the chips power consumption.

Hey guys my are Rx 480s are doing 80W at THE WALL and 30.2 Mhs/s .. yeah sure they do.

Yes this is measured from the wall taking into account system overhead and the -6% power loss from the 94% platinum power supply. It took a lot of trial and error to achieve. And each card in my system as a customized vbios because as we all know there are no two asics alike and no two memory modules alike. The 75 W is calculated as follows...
    SYSTEM WATTAGE(From Wall) * 0.94 - SYSTEM OVERHEAD(Control reading from wall) * 0.94 = GPU WATTAGE USE

Achieving this is very easy. You simply need to do some memory timing optimizations (With a hex editor and not just copying memory straps). Then a slight overclock on the memory on the memory from within the VBIOS itself. And most importantly ETH is memory heavy and not computationally heavy so you can under-clock the CORE drastically with 0 performance issues(This is where you see you major wattage savings). There is no need to mess with voltages. Anyone can achieve this. I can't wait to get 30 RX 480's to start playing around with them. This is also where the trial and error comes into place. Getting the memory clock as high as that card will allow while still being stable and then slowly reducing your core clock as low as you can until you reach the perfect mathematical balance for profitability between wattage and hashrate. On a typical card I may go through 30 VBIOS revisions to find this golden ratio because it is different for every card. There is no such thing as a "One Bios Fits All" solution. However, @wonderfullife I am not going to get in a troll conversation with you about my performances. When my RX 480's come in i'll do a custom rom for them and send it over to you and you can see for yourself (You mentioned you have RX 480's so that's why I said that model). Once I send it to you I sincerely hope it helps you increase profitability and have a "greener" mining operation.

@work I agree with you on the fan speeds, I have since updated my software AMDGPU-PRO-FANS which is available on github for linux users with an auto adjusting algorithm that uses wilder smoothing techniques to filter out random noise in the data so the speeds aren't constantly jumping around. After I've tested it for a bit I'll upload it to my github... With the auto algo it seems to like the fans at about 35% given the current temperatures outside. Thanks for the advice, it motivated me to work on my project some more that i had put on the back burner for a while. I look forward to pushing the commit to github for anyone using Linux and amdgpu-pro drivers. The current version is just the script that set's all the fan speeds to a fixed speed for all of your AMD cards. This new version has many more features so I think anyone who uses it will like it a lot. I wrote it in pure BASH so it is cross compatible across all versions of Linux.

@ober that's one heck of an idea!!! As miners we have to keep ourselves budgeted dont we ;)
    Some times the most redneck solution ends up being the best. I.E. I've seen people spend a lot of time building fancy rigs and i've seen rigs where cards are litterally hanging from zip ties on a $20 rack shelf from sams club. Post your funniest rig pictures below. I am an engineer so I dont have any "ghetto rigs" but perhaps i'll throw one together later today just for fun. I have 6 unopened rx 470, MB, memory, processor, hd, and platinium power supply sitting in a box upstairs so i'll have fun with this.
  • wonderfullifewonderfullife Member Posts: 103
    edited December 2016
    You could just post some voltage and freq numbers along with a screenshot to shut me up. Ok sorry about my tone, but it's a legitimate question. Also what do memory timings have to do with power consumption.
    If you send me a better bios I'll certainly be gratefull.
    Post edited by wonderfullife on
    ober said:

You can always mount directly on your card cheap 3USD no PWM fans with zip ties. That works with my 7950 :)

For sure, I have a few ghetto-cooled cards (remove tri-x plastics and zap strap some 80mm fans on) But, they have pretty much no resale value, and that matter to most miners.

Never had a reference blower fan die in me - those things are workhorses that never quit!
  • oberober Member Posts: 18
    @work For sure you loose resale value. But to be honest if you still keep 3+ years old card you don't have real intention to sell it.
    I was thinking about selling all my Tahiti cards before warranty expires, then this ZEC pump came and I decided to keep mining with them. Pure profit from already ROId hardware :)
    @ober very true. However, people that keep GPUs around during mining luls seem to be the exception, not the rule. I did, mind you, sell off most of my non-reference R9 290s after litecoin and then vertcoin mining; but, the reference blower style I'll probably keep around forever.
  • hvalentinohvalentino Member Posts: 105
    @HasLux

Hi Haslux, can you guide me on setting up rig with Linux? thanks!