BIOS for Sapphire Nitro+ RX480 4GB Elpida

CMYmpga1MNknu9bL8keGCMYmpga1MNknu9bL8keG Member Posts: 13
edited October 2016 in Mining
Hi all
I recently got some cheap cards for mining - Sapphire Nitro+ with 4GB of Elpida memory which was originally clocked at 1750MHz.

As Polaris Editor doesn't work with Elpida cards, i started fiddling around with the Hexeditor and managed to copy the 1500MHz memory timing straps to the higher ones.
it flashed with no problems - command line:
> atiwinflash -f -p 0 almarley.rom

My test card was first running smoothly @ 29+MH/s while drawing only 77 Watts over the PCIe lines while clocking @ 1145/2050MHz with WattTool.
Funny thing is, that after a few hours it even speeded up to 34MH/s all by itself!! idk how that happened? Any ideas??
Unfortunately Claymore was then also throwing "incorrect shares due to overclocking" messages :(

Feel free to test my BIOS at your own risk.
All modding was done with switch on "silent mode" (towards the connector plate).

My card has PN: 299-2E347-100SA
MD5 of my rom is: 1f9e665e790df58349786a7db641ffb9 for checking
I'm on Win10x64 with Crimson-16.10.1 drivers. No further patching needed.

BIOS download: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhVnWzjB8iG4lXd1uJwBK1TIG1xw

have fun
al

Post edited by CMYmpga1MNknu9bL8keG on

Comments

• ethfanethfan Member Posts: 458 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Is it for the 470 or the 480?

Edit: never mind; googled your card number and see that it is the 480
  • cidmocidmo Member Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    i had this same problem with my sapph 470 8Gb, this was b4 ppl checking memory errors
    underclocking/volting didnt help just figured the 1500 strap timing were too tight and just let it go
    it doesnt do it anymore but that card has also moved around 3 rigs since then so maybe it was hardware incompatibility
  • CMYmpga1MNknu9bL8keGCMYmpga1MNknu9bL8keG Member Posts: 13
    Im doing the clocking and volting now via claymore and using watttool only for voltage offset.
    No more mysterious speedup seen since then.
  • midoprincemidoprince Member Posts: 198 ✭✭
    it will be marvellous if it can hash on 34 MH on 77 Watts with no rejected shares
    keep going on your test lap please :D
    also i would do as u did to my reference sapphire rx 480
    1 eth for u if it sucess with me :D
  • JukeboxJukebox Member Posts: 640 ✭✭✭
    My just arrived RX 480 4 GB Nitro's are with Hynix chips. 28.8 MH/s stable.
  • GunnerHansGunnerHans Member Posts: 5
    Jukebox said:

You flash the video card Hynix memory, firmware Elpida?
  • cscheatcscheat Member Posts: 147 ✭✭
    hynix still the best

i suggest do not use 1500 straps for elpida. start from 1625
    edited October 2016

Jukebox said:

Do the Hynix 480 Nitros also come with only 1750MHz memory clock by default?

In my rom i edited both straps in (what overclock's op say) Elpida and Hynix areas to the 1500 timings but i had no chance of testing it on a Hynix card yet - so be careful!

btw: Nanopool 6hr AVG shows 30,9MH/s in Dual mode - claymore shows only around 29.3 :)
    Please help, need a mod for 11260-02-20G Sapphire Radeon RX480 4GB Nitro + OC, for hynyx memory.

it will be marvellous if it can hash on 34 MH on 77 Watts with no rejected shares
    keep going on your test lap please :D
    also i would do as u did to my reference sapphire rx 480
    1 eth for u if it sucess with me :D

did you read the "incorrect shares due to overclocking" part in my post? ;)
    cscheat said:

hynix still the best

i suggest do not use 1500 straps for elpida. start from 1625

i have also made a rom with the 1625 straps copied upwards
    - feel free to test: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhVnWzjB8iG4lXm8dNi_jLVt36GZ
  • JukeboxJukebox Member Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

No, just made my own mod.

Scary is flashing - (

Be very careful - Polaris Editor 1.4 produces faulty roms for my Elpida RX480.
    I tried once and windows booted into bluescreen.

• zmajnszmajns Member Posts: 7
    The first bios is ok - thanks for that - 6 cards - 840W from wall on corsair rm1000x - 176 mhs. I will see if it is stable and post some more
  • freemilesfreemiles Member Posts: 8
    Having a hard time trying to flash with ATIWinFlash. It says "VBIOS image not found". I wondering if this is happening because it is a 256kb file. Everything I've ever flashed to it was 512kb? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • hambahamba Member Posts: 19
    edited October 2016
    freemiles said:

Having a hard time trying to flash with ATIWinFlash. It says "VBIOS image not found". I wondering if this is happening because it is a 256kb file. Everything I've ever flashed to it was 512kb? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I think it is cause the checksum doesn't fit the new change - so either fix the checksum or apply "force".

Open windows cmd and type while being in the atiwinflash folder : atiwinflash -f -p 0 bios.rom (-f = force / -p 0 = gpu0)
  • Lex_RLex_R Member Posts: 4
    Dear friends, set BIOS firmware, but after a while gives an error Claymore, and sometimes blue screen, is there a solution to this problem?
  • Wolf0Wolf0 Member Posts: 329 ✭✭✭
    Lex_R said:

Dear friends, set BIOS firmware, but after a while gives an error Claymore, and sometimes blue screen, is there a solution to this problem?

Yes, stop using Polaris BIOS Editor.
    After a day of work, the card was burned, is not defined either as what to do now, I Do not Know
  • Zorg33Zorg33 Member Posts: 220 ✭✭
    @Lex_R
    1. you can learn from that
    2. you can share some photos and more experienced members will tell you the reason and everybody can learn from that.

All the warnings, guides and formulas (for power calculations) are written in this forum for a reason, they can save you some money and help to avoid damage to your hw, etc.
    Get cured, many times to switch between the operating system and BIOS mode, and it was working well, is being tested again, the results will immediately write
    Hi all

reporting back after a few days:
    Card is running stable in dual mode 29MH/s with the 1500 bios from the first post.
    Clocking is now at 1145/2000.
    Some incorrect ETH shares are occurring - about 3 in an hour - is that normal?

Although I never experienced the funny 34MH/s glitch again - too bad - i'd love to do some experiments with that.

It seems that this card has some sort of internal tampering protection - if you fiddle around too much with Watttool, it suddenly stops responding to all new settings.
    Funny thing is, all software tools showing the new values as if they were there, but on hashrate and electrical measuring no more changes can be noticed. It's obvious that parameter changes are no longer executed in the hardware.

Im pretty satisfied with the performance of this 200 bucks card and starting to build my new rig with 6 of them.

greetings al
    Here's how to fix your cards: Try booting into Windows WITHOUT any AMD drivers installed, and flashing it. Use DDU to clean out the drivers if you must, they must not run. Also, the card shouldn't be the primary, but a secondary.
  • blackwolfblackwolf EarthMember Posts: 86
    edited October 2016
    Wolf0 said:

Here's how to fix your cards: Try booting into Windows WITHOUT any AMD drivers installed, and flashing it. Use DDU to clean out the drivers if you must, they must not run. Also, the card shouldn't be the primary, but a secondary.

H0ly Sh1t! the big dog is out to play

You going to be working on a ZCash GPU miner?

blackwolf said:

Wolf0 said:

H0ly Sh1t! the big dog is out to play

You going to be working on a ZCash GPU miner?

Already am, for a company.
    edited October 2016
    Wolf0 said:

Already am, for a company.

the one with ampy or a different company?.. well that kinds sucks for the rest of us, people are upset all the talent is being bought out... though lucky enough there are some still working for the masses

I suppose shorting XMR now is a good idea
    Post edited by blackwolf on
    Different. And LOL, maybe if there's no hope of good tech making it. ZCash relies on trust at its core (trusted setup), XMR does not.
    edited October 2016
    Wolf0 said:

Different. And LOL, maybe if there's no hope of good tech making it. ZCash relies on trust at its core (trusted setup), XMR does not.

goodluck with the miner, cant blame you for taking money

and yeah I just think if ZCash can out anonymitize monero, the days for monero could be very limited

people think its a good buy now cause its low... but heh... it could go a lot lower soon
  • Zorg33Zorg33 Member Posts: 220 ✭✭

Some incorrect ETH shares are occurring - about 3 in an hour - is that normal?

That's quiet a lot. It's like ~5-10% of shares calculated by that card.