PowerColor Red Devil Radeon™ RX 480 8GB

2»

Comments

• sennevbsennevb Member Posts: 103
    @boysie getting 31MH is pretty easy on the red devils, but getting decent power draw vs good hashrate is more difficult, am curious what you can do with the devils.
  • MarlynNevesMarlynNeves Member Posts: 55
    waiting for boysie rom, Thanks for your work :smile: Thanks to help us
    Hello!
    How can I check exactly how much my 480 is consuming? I heard them say that GPUZ does not show exactly...
  • ozzz169ozzz169 Member Posts: 18
    I have a few of these... I am a total noob and suprised i didnt burn em up... but I get about 30.6 with about 93w on zgpu, seems closer to 140w at the wall though. that is with just modifying the bios to heliox specs on his ref power saving bios, that one worked the best for me... so far anyways, but I think could get power down maybe 10 watts without losing too much but im terrilbe at this stuff still, and was having a bit of stability issues when i got power to low. also i have wide selection of asic qualities, and the higher quality ones i have the most problem with. anyways, i think boysie will do well with the card i am sure it has more potential than i am capable of getting out of it :)
  • boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭
    btw I'm dual mining eth/sc so I'm not going to get near 140w unless I look at a 29MH option for lower power ppl.

boysie
    so I'm finding this data hard to believe

bare in mind there is a ref card in the same system with same settings showing 107w GPU power draw doing the exact same dual mining as the same rate

boysie said:

bare in mind there is a ref card in the same system with same settings showing 107w GPU power draw doing the exact same dual mining as the same rate

@boysie
    What ROM are you using?
    my one, I haven't finished it yet but its a mod of the unlocked one from powercolour

what are others showing on power here...is this just something they have broken on the powercolour rom or fixed/changed compared to ref cards?

does seem to pull into question everyone else's data when using different cards

boysie
    I can also report on power a little more with current settings as above

if I take just the ref card plugged in same settings remember, the system + card uses 268w

with that card removed and replaced with the devil I get system plus card uses just 238w

so there seems to be a saving of 30w just over ref card.

my system I think uses 60w so this makes the devil run around 178w

I'll see if I can bring that down some with out causing instability

Boysie
  • MadpacketMadpacket Member Posts: 25
    edited September 2016
    boysie said:

I can also report on power a little more with current settings as above

if I take just the ref card plugged in same settings remember, the system + card uses 268w

with that card removed and replaced with the devil I get system plus card uses just 238w

so there seems to be a saving of 30w just over ref card.

my system I think uses 60w so this makes the devil run around 178w

I'll see if I can bring that down some with out causing instability

Boysie

Interesting. Are you measuring from the wall? What are the ASIC rating differences between the cards you're comparing? Have you tried your 29Mh BIOS with just Ether mining and compared consumption? Just trying to get a baseline.

Also to confirm, you are testing these Red Devil cards out?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814131697

Also interesting to note that at least with the stock BIOS and default settings the card uses almost the same amount of energy as the reference 480's.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/powercolor_radeon_rx_480_red_devil_review,5.html
    @Madpacket
    ref = 81%
    devil = 71%

its the 1330 version.

boysie

• fredeqfredeq Member Posts: 42
    Any chance that
    PowerColor Red Dragon Radeon™ RX 480 4GB GDDR5
    is a ref card as well?
  • hasherhasher Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    @Boysie, when will you release the rom?
  • MadpacketMadpacket Member Posts: 25
    boysie said:

@Madpacket
    ref = 81%
    devil = 71%

its the 1330 version.

boysie

Thanks. The higher the ASIC rating the more energy they consume (generally) but that still shouldn't account for such a large difference. Tempted to order a few but I'm up to 33 480's and the ROI is looking less likely with the difficulty growing and DDoS issues.
  • sennevbsennevb Member Posts: 103
    boysie said:

nice work mate, my rom does 80W on gpu-Z so i'm waiting for your to be released!
    sennevb said:

boysie said:

nice work mate, my rom does 80W on gpu-Z so i'm waiting for your to be released!
    I don't think its right though, it should be around 100 there is a bug some where I expect, but my point was it seems to call in to question this metric all together as massively unreliable.
    I also know this means not much for the over all watt of the card but you would expect it to be in line right not wildly different from card to card.

anyway let me go sort out this rom and you can all play some.

I tried to get the watt down but I saw just unreliability kick in really quickly and so I left it at 950/950 on both mem and core.

card seems to be around 170w at the wall using gold psu @ 230v you can do the rest of the math

Boysie
    @boysie
    I do not understand how you can have 30mhs ETH and 340mhs SC with 950v and 55W consumption .... here I get this with consumption 113W

Why I use lower voltage and consumption is higher?

@boysie
    I do not understand how you can have 30mhs ETH and 340mhs SC with 950v and 55W consumption .... here I get this with consumption 113W

Why I use lower voltage and consumption is higher?

I agree, hence why I said there is a bug and I don't believe the data. I'm guessing its the driver, I'm using 16.9.2
  • leonlacourtleonlacourt Member Posts: 9
    Hi guys can you guide please. I recevied my red devils a week ago and they are very unstable. Coulda you please share the bios mod @boysie and setting that your using?
  • leonlacourtleonlacourt Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2017
    well i found the bios, i flashed, all got messy... and now i dont know wich bios is really installed in my card.... could someone please assit me... @boysie

Im back and running but without the bios. Now i learned that the drivers of the cards, im using 17.2.1, dosent allow for custom bios. Is there a way around keeping this drivers?

Thanks you guys....
    Post edited by leonlacourt on
  • intimacygelintimacygel Member Posts: 3

well i found the bios, i flashed, all got messy... and now i dont know wich bios is really installed in my card.... could someone please assit me... @boysie

Im back and running but without the bios. Now i learned that the drivers of the cards, im using 17.2.1, dosent allow for custom bios. Is there a way around keeping this drivers?

Thanks you guys....

Yeah I bought 14 red devils and only about 5 will out of the box flash to 31MH rom and run stable. maybe 7 will run the 29MH low power stable. Just like CPU overclocking its all a dice roll of the quality of chips you get. Basically, you will have to tinker with wattman on your cards after you flash to whatever bios you want and increase power while underclocking at small amounts and then run tests to see if stable with no memory errors (use HWinfo to see mem errors).
  • LotzoLotzo Member Posts: 4
    Is there a similar Bios for the PC Rx480 8GB Red Dragon? tried @boysie 's bios on it, brougth me 29,3 MH/s for 5 mins, than it crashed!