How to add yourself to the stats dashboard (it's not automatic)

StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
In order to appear on the georgeous http://stats.ethdev.com monitor (AKA 'netstats'), you need to set yourself - it's a voluntary process. This means the dashboard represents only a small selection of nodes, not the entire network.

You'll need to go through the documentation, there are two documents:

The README.md of the repo: https://github.com/cubedro/eth-net-intelligence-api
And the wiki: https://github.com/ethereum/wiki/wiki/Network-Status

Follow these instructions and the centralized netstats will have access to your info.

Note there is also a secret key to input and be accepted by netstat at the moment, called WS_SECRET. We're thinking of a public version, but right now, we're keeping the number of nodes pushing data to the monitoring server reasonnable - if you want to give it a shot and get the key, join the skype channel for netstats.

Note: The monitor was build by @cubedro (Marian Oancea) - I think it's fair to say he's done an amazing job! :)

Updates
15/05/2015 - updated screenshot
23/05/2015 - minor update
28/07/2015 - updated to reflect the new key distribution process
3/07/2015 - updated for Frontier
Post edited by StephanTual on

Comments

• CanaryInTheMineCanaryInTheMine Member Posts: 41
    Anyone have a guide on how to run this on win?
  • pompomJuicepompomJuice Member Posts: 13
    The windows version does not seem to be working.

It keeps on spawning a node cmd line and then it quits and then it pops up again for another minute or so.

I am planning to run that part on my ubuntu vm now. Only ethminer needs to run on windows and getting your hands on that is easy.

Wrong port, it actually just works.

Follow the instructions on the wiki.

so you got it to run on win? i read through wiki, but didn't see win instructions

so you got it to run on win? i read through wiki, but didn't see win instructions
    The instructions are the same.

The instructions are the same.
    i don't think so... I've followed whats written up on a win system and it's not working. maybe someone can post about how to get this going on a windows system at some point...

• ConradJohnsonConradJohnson Member Posts: 130 ✭✭
    @CanaryInTheMine - you get this going yet? What guide are you following (link) and how far did you get?

@CanaryInTheMine - you get this going yet? What guide are you following (link) and how far did you get?

no, i gave up on it. was following whats in the OP: https://github.com/ethereum/wiki/wiki/Network-Status
    If anyone got it working on windows, please share what and how you did it...
  • mrwhitemrwhite Member Posts: 2
    I'm trying this on ubuntu and all i get is [eth] =✘= Web3 connection attempt #14 failed
    Any advice i'm running latest geth with rpc and ipc on and ethminer can communicate fine
  • linageelinagee Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    mrwhite said:

I'm trying this on ubuntu and all i get is [eth] =✘= Web3 connection attempt #14 failed
    Any advice i'm running latest geth with rpc and ipc on and ethminer can communicate fine

Sounds like a config problem. Are you sure the rpc address and rpc port are set correctly? Can you telnet to them as a test? Can you verify things really are running what you think they are running on with the netstat command?
  • StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    Note that when Frontier goes live, the key will be changed, and you'll need to re-request it. To make it a bit simpler, you'll be able to request the key from a - skype channel that anyone can join.
  • blackout24blackout24 Member Posts: 5
    Anyone had any luck joining the skype channel with the Linux Skype client? I end up in a conversation that's called "\" and when I send a message I get notified that is hasn't been delivered.
  • tiCeRtiCeR Member Posts: 15
    me also cant click that skype channel on linux why does that not owrk ?
  • blackout24blackout24 Member Posts: 5
    Because Skype is Microsoft crap.
  • jingtyingjingtying Johor, MalaysiaMember Posts: 3
    Hi, i also can't join the skype chat!! @StephanTual can i pm you to get that secret key?
  • RichAyotteRichAyotte CanadaMember Posts: 7
    Skype? ... it just feels so wrong to make Skype, the proprietary and centrally controlled application, the guardian of the secret. It's just so counter to the culture of decentralized and open.
  • HeisenTradeHeisenTrade Member Posts: 51

Skype? ... it just feels so wrong to make Skype, the proprietary and centrally controlled application, the guardian of the secret. It's just so counter to the culture of decentralized and open.

this stats page IS a centralized service, you can also start your own statspage. its up on github.
    @RichAyotte We're also on IRC, the land of the netsplit. Freenode #ethereum-dev.

@HeisenTrade : We have a slightly less centralized version running at https://eth-status.org/ (it's community hosted)
  • Amble_GreeneAmble_Greene Vancouver, CanadaMember Posts: 7
    when I click on the skype group link I get a "you can't join this conversation" banner.
  • Marvell9Marvell9 Member Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    why the F would i add myself to this just so the DDOssers have a yet another target ?

if yo are mining do yourself a favor and do not add yourself to this dashboard until it implements a way to mask/scramble/hide the node IP's

• bcolbbcolb Seattle, WAMember Posts: 9
    @Marvell9 is there really that much DDOSing going on right now? I know EthPool is down but that's a pretty big target. I can't imagine using a botnet just to take down individual miners. Has anyone actually been DDOSed after listing on here?
    I've spoken to a couple of node operators that had over 100mh/s and they claim they got ddosed or at least the action on their network connection was affected like a DDOS.

The only good thing about the price drop on ether is that seems to have stopped the attacks since I guess its not as profitable anymore.

But I guarantee you if the price does go up these bad actors will start it all over again.
  • trotoltrotol Member Posts: 102
    edited August 2015
    Where can I get the latest list of working ethereum nodes? I want to admin.addPeer them.
    @Marvell9 - the ips have now been removed from the panel.

@trotol - you can't - even if someone made a list, how could you trust it? If your client has 15-25 peers that's plenty.
    @StephanTual Sweet time to add myself to the dashboard .. thanks for doing this
  • ZUIJftyihuYTZUIJftyihuYT Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2015
    The windows www.ourcase.co.uk version does not seem to be www.casesam.co.uk working.
    Post edited by ZUIJftyihuYT on
  • AmazingAmazing Member Posts: 12
    I've been trying to add my node to this list. I'm runing OSX and having problems npm install. I get this error message:
    xcode-select: error: tool 'xcodebuild' requires Xcode, but active developer directory '/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools' is a command line tools instance xcode-select: error: tool 'xcodebuild' requires Xcode, but active developer directory '/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools' is a command line tools instance CXX(target) Release/obj.target/bufferutil/src/bufferutil.o SOLINK_MODULE(target) Release/bufferutil.node > [email protected] install /Users/matthewmcilhenny/eth-net-intelligence-api/node_modules/utf-8-validate > node-gyp rebuild xcode-select: error: tool 'xcodebuild' requires Xcode, but active developer directory '/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools' is a command line tools instance xcode-select: error: tool 'xcodebuild' requires Xcode, but active developer directory '/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools' is a command line tools instance CXX(target) Release/obj.target/validation/src/validation.o SOLINK_MODULE(target) Release/validation.node
    It's confusing because I updated and am running the latest version of xcode.

Then when I try to run pm2 start app.json I get
    [PM2] Spawning PM2 daemon [PM2] PM2 Successfully daemonized evalmachine.<anonymous>:17 "INSTANCE_NAME" : “Amazing”, ^ SyntaxError: Unexpected token ILLEGAL at Object.exports.runInThisContext (vm.js:53:16) at parseConfig (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/pm2/lib/CLI.js:2488:15) at Object.CLI._startJson (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/pm2/lib/CLI.js:295:15) at Object.CLI.start (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/pm2/lib/CLI.js:99:9) at Command.<anonymous> (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/pm2/bin/pm2:207:11) at Command.listener (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/pm2/node_modules/commander/index.js:301:8) at emitTwo (events.js:87:13) at Command.emit (events.js:172:7) at Command.parseArgs (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/pm2/node_modules/commander/index.js:615:12) at Command.parse (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/pm2/node_modules/commander/index.js:458:21)

I guess a side question is I don't really know how to check if the geth client is synced to all the blocks. When I run it lists the most recent blocks. Is there any way to check if its synced with command line?
    I could never get listed using OSX. I have successfully been listed using Ubuntu install. I have questions though, specifically my node seems to be lagging behind 25 blocks, and has 9 min last block time versus the 4s last block time I see for many of the other nodes.

Does anyone have any idea how to catch up? Could it be because I am also running qtminer on the same machine and thats slowing it up?
    It seems I can restart using pm2 gracefulReload node-app, and get up to the current block, but then what I dont understand is how quickly (within a minute or so) the node I have listed starts lagging behind and not having the current block.