Windows update WILL kill claymore

josh5901josh5901 Member Posts: 38
So i started mining 9 months ago. 8 card rig, all of em 1060 6 GB cards. Things ran relatively smooth. I took the steps necessary and advised to block any and all windows updates. Well, at some point Windows overpowered.......windows lol. It went from 1709 to the latest 1803 build. This foooked everything up.
Happened like 2 days ago. Anyway, after 4 hours of messing with -eres 1 or -litag 0,1,2,3 etc etc and trying new and old claymore versions; not to mention hours of googling, i finally just did a restore build. You can rapidly and VERY simply roll back windows builds. Zero issues.
Everything is up n humming at my normal 193.7 Mh/s!!!!

This is just an FYI for anyone who gets an update on accident. I did have my updates completely shut off. I have no clue how it updated but when i saw my miner offline the other night i went downstairs to check on it and saw it in action, doing an update.
Happy mining!

Comments

• asusrigasusrig Member Posts: 141
    One of my rigs appears to be affected by this. It started to BSOD out of the blue. I ended up formatting the computer and reinstalling Windows 10 and ran all the updates. It is now back to 1803 but at least it is not crashing anymore. However it appears the Asus Mining Expert chipset drivers cannot be installed and DDU Uninstaller also does not run. Nothing happens when you click on the program to run it.

I spoke with Asus and they told me their entire product line is affected by the Windows update and they are trying to play catch up to update all their drivers. Nice BS from Microsoft with this! I also had updates disabled including the update service but it still came through. 1803 did make my I9 Windows Workstation with a 1080ti more stable though. Computer is more stable now than it was a few months ago.
  • asusrigasusrig Member Posts: 141
    Yep a second rig was updated to 1803 and same BSOD BS all over again. This time I restored it back to 1709 instead of reinstalling Windows and made sure Windows Update is disabled (I thought it was but seems to have been enabled again)!
  • Ericjh801Ericjh801 Utah, USAMember Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    Updated one of my rigs today that I was just finishing and new version killed my drivers, it wouldn't respond after. Reverted and good to go. Love updates. I've disabled it on all machines now. Will stick with what works.
  • bibsbibs Member Posts: 24
    What method did you use for reverting? I booted in safe mode and uninstalled the 1803 update from the "programs and features" tab. But after it was done and I rebooted, the drivers were still the slow ones. Maybe I did something wrong.
  • josh5901josh5901 Member Posts: 38
    bibs said:

What method did you use for reverting? I booted in safe mode and uninstalled the 1803 update from the "programs and features" tab. But after it was done and I rebooted, the drivers were still the slow ones. Maybe I did something wrong.

The way i did it was Settings, Security/update, Recovery. Under Recovery there should be something that allows you to "roll back" or "undo" update. It literally took 10 minutes or less (ssd) and it was back up n running fine. 1803 is a fn nightmare for mining rigs aparently, lol.
  • mrleeds6mrleeds6 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks josh, dunno why i dint think of rolling back.. followed your instructions and back up and running. Updated amd settings and getting a bit extra too, not checked watt meter yet tho...
  • RedHouseRedHouse Member Posts: 104
    It is happening to me but I am using ethminer-0.14.0.dev3-windows on windows 10 pro.
    Windows updates were shut off when I first setup the rig.

My rigs have been shut off for over a week now due to a lack of mining profitability because of high electric cost.

The other day, I noticed that the rig with 6 sapphire nitro cards was on and only one of the sapphire cards lit up. It should not have been on. I shut it off.

Today, I decided to check on it and turned it on. At first, all of the saphire cards lit up and then 5 of them went out with only the one with the monitor plug into it staying on. It uses a dvi to vga adaptor and the monitor appeared to inactive. I then connected a dvi monitor to it and got a windows screen. A browser window appeared saying that an update for April or some such had been done. Then, trying to start ethminer it failed.