GPU Fans Are 'Pulsing'

Rigboy786Rigboy786 Member Posts: 45
I thought this was a problem with the OS, I've tried them all (smOS, Hive, Ubuntu + now Windows 10). The problem persists.
The miner runs, I get great hashes but the GPU's overheat and the fans fail to kick in at high enough speeds... the GPU's will overheat and the fans will struggle to make 45%.

I used AMDGPU Pro to test each fan individually (6 GPUs)...

One by one I tried turning each GPU fan to 100% and they fail to reach the 6000rpm, they get to 4600rpm and then bounce back to around 1500-1700rpm... then after 5-6 seconds they try again.

Any ideas?

Comments

• JukeboxJukebox Member Posts: 640 ✭✭✭
  • Rigboy786Rigboy786 Member Posts: 45
    Jukebox said:

Legend! Thank you.
    I ditched AMD Radeon Global Settings controller and tried MSI Afterburner and my fans happily run at 80% - 100% without pulsing!!

BUT - Soon as I start mining on Claymore V10 it seems Claymore takes control of the fans. Is there a way to stop this so I can control through MSI Afterburner when mining?
    Update:
    I've added -tt 1 to the config and the start_eth.bat file and it seems to have worked. I will continue to monitor it but thanks a lot!!! :D
    -mode 0 -dcoin pasc -dcri 11 -esm 0 -etha 0 -ethi 8 -tstop 80 -tstart 50 -r 1 -logsmaxsize 200 -retrydelay 8

That's only options I use in claymore.

And use Claymore 11.0 - it have reduced developer fee.
    Jukebox said:

-mode 0 -dcoin pasc -dcri 11 -esm 0 -etha 0 -ethi 8 -tstop 80 -tstart 50 -r 1 -logsmaxsize 200 -retrydelay 8

I couldn't find Claymore 11.0, it linked to github with 10.0 at the top. I thought maybe 11.0 maybe just for linux?
    Rigboy786 said:

Jukebox said:

I couldn't find Claymore 11.0, it linked to github with 10.0 at the top. I thought maybe 11.0 maybe just for linux?
    https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1433925.0
  • iamnoobplzhelpiamnoobplzhelp Member Posts: 239 ✭✭
    You can also use -tt -70 to keep your fans running at 70% for example.
    yeah I prefer using msi afterburner for fan control though and i can adjust my fan curve etc how i want and monitor gpu on the scope :smile:

I've set the config to -tt 1 and it's working perfectly. I was also noticing interference from AMD Overdrive. I've disabled that from windows start up (via task manager) and after a reboot confirmed it didn't come on and hasn't interfered so far.

I'm still having a GPU hanging issue when there are multiple gpus connected (not always same gpu hanging) but I'll open another discussion for that.

CONCLUSION: My GPU Fans were pulsing due to conflicts between different fan controllers. Claymore likes to control fans and so does the AMD Overdrive that comes with the AMD display drivers.

Disable claymore fan controls:
    Open the config file or the start.bat file (where you would place your wallet key etc) and type:
    -tt 1 (this will disable fan control)

Disable AMD controls (Windows):
    Right-Click Taskbar and select 'Task Manager' and then from the start-up tab disable the AMD program. I also went ahead and disabled Windows Defender and One Drive and anything else I wasn't using. The less processes the better.

After disabling the two, you should have full control over fans/temps/mem/clocks etc through MSI Afterburner or your chosen controller.
  • mchu3599mchu3599 Member Posts: 29
    Do a search, you will find there is a consensus that you should not use MSI AB to control multiple GPUs, this causes system instability and crashing (with optimized GPUs). I have 8 580s all running 52-55 C with 45-50% fan 24/7 and it is regulated by Claymore settings.
    mchu3599 said:

Do a search, you will find there is a consensus that you should not use MSI AB to control multiple GPUs, this causes system instability and crashing (with optimized GPUs). I have 8 580s all running 52-55 C with 45-50% fan 24/7 and it is regulated by Claymore settings.

Hmm... that is a real shame as I love the ability to monitor all my settings live in scope mode. If I continue to experience hanging problems I will test with/without MSI AB as I go along and if it does cause issues I'll leave it alone. Thank you for your input.