I have a number of questions about ethOS.

bthitmanbthitman Member Posts: 5
Hi. Been running ethOS for a little bit now. Kinda like it (coming from Windows mining and self-configured Linux mining) it's nice that ethOS is simple to get up and running! However, I have a number of questions that I just can't seem to find answers to.

Specs: ASRock H110 BTC, PowerColor Red Devil Golden Sample 8GB, ethOS 1.2.9.

Maybe @kotarius from this thread: https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/4298/ethos-linux-ethereum-mining-platform/p1 could shed some light.

- How do we see rejected shares?
- It appears that Claymore miner will show this, but using the default ethminer, how do we see them?

- How do we see Watts on our dashboard?
- i've seen some dashboards that show it. so is it the cards in use? some setting that was missed?

- Minestop / minestart doesn’t work. Sends the cards into limp mode (300mv) and they won't start mining again
- Not sure if, again, it's the cards in use, or if there is something bigger that is wrong. I am using 'minestop && sleep 5 && r' to get the rig back up and running.

- Undervolting RX580s, doesn’t have an effect
- I haven't done a voltage mod in the BIOS, but according to the changelog, setting the vlt parameter in the local.conf will impact the voltage on the card. It doesn't appear that way. The 'show stats' will report it as the same value we set in the local.conf, but the watts at the wall are not any different (and in some cases, higher!)

- Where is the ethminer binary?
- This is connected to my next question as well. But I am trying to find the ethminer binary on the filesystem. I thought my Linux skillz were good enough, but alas, i can't find it!

- How to update to the latest miner? It's stuck on 0.13.0rc1
- Is the miner.version file a list of the current version of the installed miners? Or is it where the version to update to is specified? ie: do I edit that file to reference 0.13.0 and then run update-miners?

Thanks for any help / insight!

Answers

• bthitmanbthitman Member Posts: 5
    Humm.. Can't edit posts? Ok, i'll use a comment to add a couple of questions.

The log output (using default ethminer, and the 'show miner' command. Can someone breakdown the columns for me please?

First column: i see 'm', or 'l', and 'cl'. What's this for?
    Second column: | (obvious...)
    Third column: Speed in Mh/s But for which card??
    Fourth column: EVERY line in my log file shows 'gpu/0 ' Should this perhaps show the actual gpu number?

The next one is a key question from me (and might answer question 1 from above, i think)
    Fifth Column: [A:xxx+0:Rx+0:Fx] I'm guessing these have to do with the shares? A = Accepted? R = Rejected? F = ??? And the +0?

Sixth column: Time: xx:xx I'm guessing it's total up time of the rig?

Thanks again!

• bthitmanbthitman Member Posts: 5
    Ok. Managed to find a couple of answers, so will put them here to help others.

1) where is the ethminer binary? -> /opt/miners/ethminer but it just proved what i already knew: the version is 0.13.0rc1

2) How to update to the latest miner? -> turns out that 'update-miners' doesn't simply run an apt-get under the hood and fetch the latest! update-miners checks with the ethOS servers to get the latest version of miners that are verified to work with ethOS. So there can be lag between latest (on GitHub for example) and latest as verified from ethOS

Still searching for more answers!
  • CoinsHOSTCoinsHOST Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    bthitman said:

- Undervolting RX580s, doesn’t have an effect

Make sure to set safevolt disabled in your config, here's more info on undervolting AMD GPUs https://sling00.com/?p=66