Dedicate X# of GPUs to mining, and another dedicated to running everyday computer usage in 1 rig?

renaldoaoarenaldoaoa Member Posts: 8
I highly doubt this is possible, but I'd rather ask a dumb question than find out later down the road it was possible.

I just realized that my desktop that I build a few years back has a board that'll run 4 GPUs (Asus p8Z77-V LK).

I have to stop mining when i want to use my PC, but I was wondering if there was a way that I could mine with say 3 GPU's 24/7 and use the 4th to run things for everyday internet/Youtube usage? Maybe even switch that one GPU back and forth between mining and everyday usage when I'm done?

Just curious..

Comments

• ecs87ecs87 Dekalb, ILMember Posts: 339 ✭✭✭
    Just run integrated graphics if it has it. I mine off my Radeon GPUs and use my integrated to drive both of my monitors (then I switch to Displayport on one of my Radeons whenever I want to game or do something graphics intensive).
  • AuroraPoolAuroraPool Aurora, CO USMember Posts: 11
    Most mining software has a configuration or command line arguments to specify which devices to mine with. For example ethminer uses --opencl-devices followed by a comma separated list of gpu numbers starting at 0
  • renaldoaoarenaldoaoa Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the replies!

Most mining software has a configuration or command line arguments to specify which devices to mine with. For example ethminer uses --opencl-devices followed by a comma separated list of gpu numbers starting at 0

I'll look into that. I am currently using CLaymore, so maybe there is something in there I can set.
    ecs87 said:

Just run integrated graphics if it has it. I mine off my Radeon GPUs and use my integrated to drive both of my monitors (then I switch to Displayport on one of my Radeons whenever I want to game or do something graphics intensive).

I went into my BIOS and switched it on. I only have one monitor, so I had to setup "on board" to be primary. What I planned to do is just swap my plug between "on board", and my GPU depending on what I was doing.

The only issue I found is when I unplug my "on board", and switch over the my GPU, when I switch it back to "on board", it automatically makes that the second screen. So, everything is just a background of the second screen.

I was curious if you happen to know a work around for this when using only one monitor?

I'm going to do some research tonight to try to figure it out, but I thought I would ask just in case your, or anyone happens to know.
  • ecs87ecs87 Dekalb, ILMember Posts: 339 ✭✭✭
    If you have a "fancy" monitor you should be able to just use HDMI or DVI for your onboard and use the Displayport cable for the PCIe GPU (this way you don't need to swap cables, but rather change the input through the monitor buttons).

Weird that it's still detecting that something is plugged into your onboard...you should be able to remedy this by going through the settings and changing the default monitor in Windows.