Vega Performance

Comments

• SIRacer09SIRacer09 Member Posts: 246 ✭✭
    So with these power limits, will they be drastically different in the RX Vega 56 and 64? Do we think they will be efficient with some undervolting and overclocking? Trying to decide if I should stay up and nab a few tonight...
  • boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    the vega 64 drive pack has a hidden beta for the FE version, its not amazing but does allow for the clocks to be controlled now, bad news though is no mem speed control :( lol amd you suck

so playing with the low end and actually this is quite good.

Dual mining : No
    Power: 135w
    Hash speed: 32Mh

Dual mining: Yes
    Power: 200w
    Hash speed: 30Mh/1600MH DCR
    DCRI 53

both using core 900/800 Mem default (cant change) 945
    temps I've set at 55c in a cool room with fans holding around 75%

EDIT:

Dual mining: Yes
    Power: 215w
    Hash speed: 32Mh/2000MH DCR
    DCRI 62

using core 1100/800 Mem default (cant change) 945
    temps I've set at 55c in a cool room with fans holding around 85%

Post edited by boysie on
    edited August 2017
    also just for giggles and a poke at the NVidia crew
    my 1080ti doing 725hs on zcash earning £2.30 a day using 350Watts (ouch)
    my FE doing the above speeds at 215w earning £2.40 a day
    That's what awesome miner shows for both cards mining
    Post edited by boysie on
  • jsanzspjsanzsp Member Posts: 195 ✭✭
    Vega is the best absolute fail of AMD in years

edited August 2017
    jsanzsp said:

Vega is the best absolute fail of AMD in years

so if my fe = the same if not better than a 1080ti on its best coin how do you figure that, this cards been out 4 weeks and already it = the same income as a 1080ti. for less power
    I think in a few more weeks that will be quite a lot higher.

ppl need to experiment, think outside the normal rx 480/580 box. try some thing different. let me know how you get on.

even if I get a 1080ti to squeeze out 40MH it would not be as much income as a card doing 40MH and 2kDCR with less power. cant wait to see once I can get that clock up with extra power and better cooling I'm sure there is way more than 40/2k in in

Boysie

• lablettlablett Member Posts: 333 ✭✭
    I can see AMD shares taking a dive....'latest AMD graphics does not live up to hashing expectations...' If you are watching this thread AMD through your social media monitoring tools then you better move fast!
    edited August 2017
    just noticed a beta tab has appeared on the FE driver download page

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/frontier?os=Windows+10+-+64

So this has the same issue of no mem speed control.

But found a nice little speed upgrade.

Enable HBCC support in Applications/Global settings.

kill the miner first

mine went from 30-31/2250dcr to 34-35MH/2500dcr
    Same power same settings
    c1200/m945 (don't think power settings are working so they are default right now)

Boysie
    Post edited by boysie on
    Update: Now with 6x Vega 64
    Not using the blockchain driver, its quite poor, esp with 6 cards. sure it can hit 40+ but its not stable and the power usage is through the roof so is the heat

so using the release beta driver

I getting 33.3MH/2.5GH Dcr @ 275watt
    With 6 cards that's £17 income each day at current prices.

So rig power total is 1850, idle by is 250w

temps holding around 65c @ 75% fan

settings used:

Core s1401/p800 (this is a magic number on this driver, it matches the state before the 2 you can change any thing else and power shoots up)

Mem s1080/p800

Power limit 0%

PS; using claymore to set every thing and it works perfectly. if you see me speed drop to 800 its power related, increase powerlimit after setting back to 945 as it seems to get stuck down at 800 some times.

HBCC wont enable on this driver where as the blockchain driver it wont turn off or is missing altogether...don't like that driver so buggy.

so quite happy.

Boysie
  • fredeqfredeq Member Posts: 42
    @boysie Have you checked equihash performance on blockchain driver?

I am quite surprised by your values of [email protected]
    That power usage is really nice, as compared to low-wattage [email protected] of 1080ti.
  • matriceamatricea Member Posts: 23
    boysie said:

also just for giggles and a poke at the NVidia crew
    my 1080ti doing 725hs on zcash earning £2.30 a day using 350Watts (ouch)
    my FE doing the above speeds at 215w earning £2.40 a day
    That's what awesome miner shows for both cards mining

I'm getting 740 sol/s with 85% tdp; on the wall 220watt usage
    1100 sol/s in total with another 1070-> total: 340 watt
    fredeq said:

@boysie Have you checked equihash performance on blockchain driver?

I am quite surprised by your values of [email protected]
    That power usage is really nice, as compared to low-wattage [email protected] of 1080ti.

maybe you miss read that. My 1080ti does [email protected] :(
    The Vega FE I said was doing the speeds above that post at 215w unrelated to the 1080ti
  • fredeqfredeq Member Posts: 42
    edited August 2017
    @boysie No, I actually think I got you perfectly.
    I admired your vega values of [email protected] and comapred it to my low-power 1080ti settings of [email protected]

Edit: Argh ok, by above speeds you meant ethereum...
    Have you checked what vega can do on zcash at all?

@matricea not sure how you managed to get 220W at 85%, I would expect around 260W
  • ShnikesShnikes Member Posts: 22
    Watching. Vega owner. Been playing around with one for a couple of days. @boysie going to try your settings. I also just downgraded to the basic driver over the miner version. I was having too many stability issues but could push the mining driver up to 41.5 mh/s. It'd run stable for a few minutes then fall down to 35ish

I also am trying to get full linux on a key so I can play around with that for a bit.
    @boysie How's your mem clock holding up? I can get it to set around 1050 - 1100 mhz for about an hour or two before failing and resets back to 800 mhz. Increasing power limit and memory voltage seems to help but ultimately I have yet to have an 8 hour run stay stable.

I've also noticed my powerdraw constantly moves - like it is cycling through stages. Total system power will move in a pattern - 280, 310, 319, 280, 310, 319 etc. My hashing may mirror it as well. While I seem to average 31 mh/s over a minutes time. I will hash between 22 - 35 mh/s in that minute depending on when I poll. Makes for a very wavy chart.

Also, curious as to what dcri your set at.

Using your setting I'm getting a max of 35.5 mh/s ETH w/ 2100 mh/s dcr before memory resets.
    yes I'm seeing that also, cant explain why, it seemed at first to be power related but what once worked eventually didn't and now all cards drop to 800 mem, annoying.

I'm switched them to 945 for now as this is stable and only knocks a small amt of the total earned.

I'm using 80dcri to get the 195Mh/15-16GH dcr

What dcri are you getting as its def dual mining that's pushing the mem over what ever it needs to keep its speed up. I'm guessing its power related.

Boysie
    I was set around 60dcri but haven't fiddled with it too much. I may try walking up to 80 and see what kind of drop offs I get. At 60 dcri & 945 mem, I'm getting 33.5 mh/s eth w/ 2000 mh/s dcr.

I will play around some more and report back.
    Can't wait for a driver update - there's just so much not working right now. Makes it real hard to get a grasp on the cards full potential
  • LythimusLythimus Member Posts: 6
    I downloaded the ATIFlash which now supports Vega. It seemed to dump Vega FE fine (256KB file) as opposed to another FE bios I dumped which was 56KB. But I can't open it in Polaris BIO editor. I can't say I'm surprised given the name of the tool. I may experiment with hex editing, since I have some background in disassembly, but would feel more comfortable testing BIOS builds other people have produced.
    Lythimus said:

I downloaded the ATIFlash which now supports Vega. It seemed to dump Vega FE fine (256KB file) as opposed to another FE bios I dumped which was 56KB. But I can't open it in Polaris BIO editor. I can't say I'm surprised given the name of the tool. I may experiment with hex editing, since I have some background in disassembly, but would feel more comfortable testing BIOS builds other people have produced.

my understanding is it has onboard the card a sig check of the bios so wont post with a modded bios. so until we can sig sign the mod bios we cant use a mod bios, or some one works out how to get round a hardware sig check which is not likely
  • Wolf0Wolf0 Member Posts: 329 ✭✭✭
    boysie said:

Lythimus said:

my understanding is it has onboard the card a sig check of the bios so wont post with a modded bios. so until we can sig sign the mod bios we cant use a mod bios, or some one works out how to get round a hardware sig check which is not likely
    Correct. Mostly. :3
    I've found that when using 4 cards the drop to 800 mem speed doesn't seem to happen, so guess this is another driver bug although no idea why that would happen with more than 4 how ever the speed staying at 1100 doesn't seem to result in any perf increase so still pointless.
    I switched over to driver 17.8.1 - Memory clock sits stable at 1000 now.

Dual mining 33.5 mh/s eth w/ 2500 mh/s dcr at 280 watts (max) total power from the wall.
    As discussed, actual speeds are a bit lower. 1 minute avg eth sits around 31 mh/s. I still believe this unstable hash may have to do with power as my watts pulled constantly cycle from 220-280.
    The card runs surprisingly cool. I've yet to hit 70c under load.

For the life of me, I can not get a full version of linux on USB to boot on my miner. Works on all my other computers but can't get past the dang black screen for some reason.

I attempted the softpowerplaytable work around and didn't find much success on my first go. It worked but I only modified state 7 and it never got there. I couldn't get my memory to set either. First time messing with hex to decimal conversions, so I'm sure I did something wrong. I plan on trying it again tonight.
  • LythimusLythimus Member Posts: 6
    Shnikes said:

For the life of me, I can not get a full version of linux on USB to boot on my miner. Works on all my other computers but can't get past the dang black screen for some reason.

I attempted the softpowerplaytable work around and didn't find much success on my first go. It worked but I only modified state 7 and it never got there. I couldn't get my memory to set either. First time messing with hex to decimal conversions, so I'm sure I did something wrong. I plan on trying it again tonight.

I've had trouble with computers which require UEFI boot. You may want to make sure your USB installer is set to support UEFI booting. I had the best results with Rufus. Though honestly, if your computer is trying to boot and hanging, that's probably not the issue.
    @boysie How you doing man?

I switched back over to the 8/23 beta mining drivers. Current stats -
    ETH Only - +50 power. 1137 core/p900. 1000 mem/p900 - making 39.5 mh/s ETH @ 303 watts - total system power. Avg. 1 minute ETH = 35.5 mh/s

Dual Mine - +50 power. 1137 core/p900. 1000 mem/p900 - making 39 mh/s ETH and 2100 mh/s DCR @ 407 watts - total system power. Avg. 1 minute ETH = 35 mh/s

Memory crashes if I walk past 1000. Still seeing a wide variance in hashrates reported. Still thinking it has something to do with the card cycling power -either through states or what, idk. Currently Eth only mining but will switch back to dual mine tonight. Those dual mine stats were only at dcri 55, so plenty of room to push. The power draw is just nuts though. I'm not sure my undervolts are truly being applied.
  • billbbillb Member Posts: 13
    edited August 2017
    Hi all

Finally got my rig set up and ready to mine running 4 Vegas on the Vega driver for now.

Current eth stats 147mhs(36.5 per card) with unchanged core 1025 mem -10% power and 68 temp target. Oc using Wattman. Changing core doesn't seem to do anything, any higher mem clock and speed drops and any less power causes mem clock to jump between 1025/800. Total system power usage 1100W

Current ethminer stats say average hash rate is only 126mhs after 12 hrs running does this mean im still having some stability issues?

Thinking about trying the blockchain driver again as that was running stable at 82mhs with 2 cards. Same settings as above although I didn't have my power meter at the time to check usage
    Post edited by billb on
    edited August 2017
    When you hit "S" in Claymore what is your 1 minute avg ETH? My 1 minute average is is generally 4-5 mh/s per card lower.

I also get an uneven or cycling in my power draw. I think the cycling of power either through different states or what causes the hash instability.

With your settings on ETH only in beta miner driver I 'm getting 39.8 mh/s with 1 minute avg. of 35 mh/s. Total system power of 297 watts.

It's very interesting that its essentially the same hash as my settings in beta with the same (power draw). I think it tells us that setting clocks/volts isn't truly working yet.

Edit - I do find my hashrate to be very much more stable in 17.8.2. My 1 minute average eth is still lower than in the beta mining drivers
  • ecs87ecs87 Dekalb, ILMember Posts: 339 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Not too sure why anyone pays attention to their current or average hashrate. These are calculated at the pool and can be completely random (meaning you can have good luck and find a ton of shares on a card or you can have a streak where you don't find shares for longer than normal). As long as you're not getting any incorrect shares, your reported hashrate is a pretty good estimate. 24 hours of uninterrupted mining should bring your average hashrate close (unless you're having a streak of good luck/bad luck) to your reported hashrate.
  • CryptoGiraffeCryptoGiraffe Member Posts: 34
    Highest I've been able to get mining XMR on my Vegas are about 1200-1300 h/s with sgminer. Anyone gotten higher?
  • mjmeansmjmeans Member Posts: 65
    ecs87 said:

I've obscured the program so that's most likely why it's detecting it as a virus (nearly every program I've obscured has set off false alarms in Avast, IE: http://elsonsmith.com/RIL). You can find the source for the C# program here: https://github.com/ecs87/AMD-GPU-Tool

In order for it to detect your card you need to hit "Refresh Device List" and it should come up in the dropdown. If it's not detecting your cards make sure that your drivers are installed properly and that you have a display connected to at least one of your cards (even a headless HDMI works).

Any Windows program is suspicious if: 1) Obscured (or obfuscated) and not signed with business Verisign code signing key; or, 2) Not fully open source (as this is). It is highly suspicious if both of these are the case considering this environment. Protect yourself. If you don't trust a software like this (as I don't) make absolutely sure that the PC you are running this on has no wallet or email software or any other software that could reveal you identity or passwords to a key logger and that the PC has no local network access to any other PC. If I ever do decide to try it out, I will use Microsoft Desktop Bridge and Desktop App Converter so that any registry or file system access is kept in a separate overlay space and enable clean uninstall (along with all file system and registry changes).

• greatauror28greatauror28 Member Posts: 126 ✭✭
    ecs87 said:

Not too sure why anyone pays attention to their current or average hashrate. These are calculated at the pool and can be completely random (meaning you can have good luck and find a ton of shares on a card or you can have a streak where you don't find shares for longer than normal). As long as you're not getting any incorrect shares, your reported hashrate is a pretty good estimate. 24 hours of uninterrupted mining should bring your average hashrate close (unless you're having a streak of good luck/bad luck) to your reported hashrate.

I couldn't agree more.

I just look at the current reported and 99% of the time it shows my average hash rate I see in Claymore.
  • darthbunnydarthbunny Member Posts: 1
    boysie said:

Lythimus said:

I know that this may sound complicated but in Linux it is possible to fire up a VM and assign a video card to it by doing GPU passthrough. The catch is that by doing this it is possible to provide the bios in the VM via a file. I know it's a long shot but if anyone is interested in trying it, here's some documentation: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF

Although it runs in a VM you will see no performance drop during mining (already doing it with 2x 1070 on my gaming rig) and you can also use msi afterburner and related tools.