Electricity consumption and safe limit

RobcisRobcis Member Posts: 23
Hi there. I'm not an electrician and therefore I would like to reach out to figure what is the maximum load that my flat can handle in terms of electricity consumption. Let's just say that a rig with 6 GTX1060 GPUs consumes 1kw. How many rigs could I run safely at the same time?

I've attached an image with my electricity box that has some figures on it.

Best Answer

• jaminbenjaminben Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2017 Accepted Answer
    Robcis said:

jaminben said:

Assuming your in the UK and that your voltage is 230V then each rig will require 4.3Amps (1000W)... looking at your screenshot you have two ring final circuits each capable of 32Amps @ maximum load. Your ring final circuits are probably split, one upstairs and one downstairs or kitchen and rest of house. You don't really want to max out each ring final circuit as you maybe using other items (cooker, immersion heater etc.) and you'll then be reaching your maximum current for one side of your split load consumer unit (distribution board). You'll also want to consider that both ring final circuits are protected by a 30mA RCD which may trip due to the leakage created by multiple PSU's. If it were me I would probably go no more than 3 1000W rigs on each ring final circuit (maximum of 6 rigs).

Such a detailed answer! Thanks a lot for taking your time to explain this to me. Based on what you're saying, I need to figure out which sockets belong to which circuits. Is there any way to test it besides maxing out a circuit and tripping a circuit breaker?
    No don't do that... turn off one of the MCB's that is labelled sockets and go round with something you can plugin like a lamp or fan and see if it works (if you don't have a socket tester).

EDIT: Actually looking at your photo again it does say kitchen sockets so I would assume the other MCB is going to be the rest of the house so that'll actually limit the amount of rigs you can have... unless you stick some in the kitchen.

Answers

• jaminbenjaminben Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2017
    Assuming your in the UK and that your voltage is 230V then each rig will require 4.3Amps (1000W)... looking at your screenshot you have two ring final circuits each capable of 32Amps @ maximum load. Your ring final circuits are probably split, one upstairs and one downstairs or kitchen and rest of house. You don't really want to max out each ring final circuit as you maybe using other items (cooker, immersion heater etc.) and you'll then be reaching your maximum current for one side of your split load consumer unit (distribution board). You'll also want to consider that both ring final circuits are protected by a 30mA RCD which may trip due to the leakage created by multiple PSU's. If it were me I would probably go no more than 3 1000W rigs on each ring final circuit (maximum of 6 rigs).
  • rmhrmh Member Posts: 410 ✭✭✭
    If you have 230V, then a 1kW rig eats 4.35Amps (1000/230)

Your circuit breakers are labeled how many amps they bearing.
    Your main switch is insane with the 100A :) but doesn't indicate your real input supply from the electricity provider.

• RobcisRobcis Member Posts: 23
    jaminben said:

Such a detailed answer! Thanks a lot for taking your time to explain this to me. Based on what you're saying, I need to figure out which sockets belong to which circuits. Is there any way to test it besides maxing out a circuit and tripping a circuit breaker?
  • RobcisRobcis Member Posts: 23
    jaminben said:

Robcis said:

jaminben said:

No don't do that... turn off one of the MCB's that is labelled sockets and go round with something you can plugin like a lamp or fan and see if it works (if you don't have a socket tester).

EDIT: Actually looking at your photo again it does say kitchen sockets so I would assume the other MCB is going to be the rest of the house so that'll actually limit the amount of rigs you can have... unless you stick some in the kitchen.
    Of course, that makes perfect sense. Thanks a ton!