Casper...Too Late To Mine?

hemlockhemlock Member Posts: 8
When Casper is implemented, will all of my mining gear go to waste? What will be the requirements in order to get up become a bonded validator for Casper?

Comments

• vgmvgm Member Posts: 56
    edited March 2017
    Mining gear will never go to waste, since there will always be another coin to mine. Some ETH alternatives include ETC, ZEC, and XMR.

So the real question is: do you want to be an ETH validator or do you want to mine other coins? Because you definitely won't accumulate as much ETH by mining it than you would by buying it outright. If you're mainly bullish on ETH, then buy ETH and wait for POS. If you like crypto in general and would rather not put all your eggs in one basket, then build a mining rig.

As far as requirements for Casper are concerned, they have yet to be finalized. Casper will likely be delayed until early 2018.
  • OverconOvercon Member Posts: 37
    I'd look at mining ZEC (ZCASH) and then using that to purchase ETH (as it is currently twice as much as ETH). But if you wanted you could CPU mine ZEC and GPU mine ETH on the same PC. Not saying the rewards are great but it does put the CPU to use instead of just sitting there, especially if it is a rather robust one cause you had it lying around when you built your miner, like me.
  • hemlockhemlock Member Posts: 8
    Overcon said:

I'd look at mining ZEC (ZCASH) and then using that to purchase ETH (as it is currently twice as much as ETH). But if you wanted you could CPU mine ZEC and GPU mine ETH on the same PC. Not saying the rewards are great but it does put the CPU to use instead of just sitting there, especially if it is a rather robust one cause you had it lying around when you built your miner, like me.

That is an awesome idea and a configuration I didn't realize was possible. I do have powerful CPU in my rig going to waste... it's an i7-4790k. I have about 7 or 8 lying around since I basically get them for nothing where I work.

I bought EthOS because I wanted to give it a go and see how it compared to my Ubuntu setup and I actually like it. How can I go about setting up the same system to CPU mine at the same time?
    vgm said:

Mining gear will never go to waste, since there will always be another coin to mine. Some ETH alternatives include ETC, ZEC, and XMR.

So the real question is: do you want to be an ETH validator or do you want to mine other coins? Because you definitely won't accumulate as much ETH by mining it than you would by buying it outright. If you're mainly bullish on ETH, then buy ETH and wait for POS. If you like crypto in general and would rather not put all your eggs in one basket, then build a mining rig.

As far as requirements for Casper are concerned, they have yet to be finalized. Casper will likely be delayed until early 2018.

Thanks for the info. I have been buying ETH here and there. I just got into mining so I'm kind of working out how I will go about it. ZCASH looks to be a good alternative so I will likely mine that. Can I use the same wallet address for ZEC that I use for ETH?
  • josechudmjosechudm Member Posts: 63
    Im joining the thread cause i got like 3 machines with 5 radeon rx470 4 gb version running just fine, and i recovered the investment, im planning on buying another one, what do you guys recommend? the time to recover my investment is gonna be longer this time, so im not sure on what to do
    edited March 2017
    josechudm said:

Im joining the thread cause i got like 3 machines with 5 radeon rx470 4 gb version running just fine, and i recovered the investment, im planning on buying another one, what do you guys recommend? the time to recover my investment is gonna be longer this time, so im not sure on what to do

What OS do you use and what are you mining currently? I am just barely getting into mining. I have a pretty small rig (two RX 480 4GB), but I want to expand. What's your average hashrate per system and how long did it take you to get a return on investment?
  • josechudmjosechudm Member Posts: 63
    hemlock said:

josechudm said:

What OS do you use and what are you mining currently? I am just barely getting into mining. I have a pretty small rig (two RX 480 4GB), but I want to expand. What's your average hashrate per system and how long did it take you to get a return on investment?
    Im using w10, minning eth right now, last year the profit was greater than this year probably because of the increased difficulty, but with 5 rx470 modded i got around 135 mh/s per gig, and i got 2, so im getting like 0.6 eth daily right now