rx 470 modding

lukaisailoviclukaisailovic Member Posts: 43
edited January 2017 in Mining
Just tried to flash my brand new RX470 with atiwinflash and it shows me adapter not found error for some reason. It's in my 6th pcie slot so I put 5 after -p (but I only have 3 cards).Something I'm doing wrong ?

Comments

• agent412agent412 Member, Moderator Posts: 293 mod
    @lukaisailovic

Download these.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2728/atiflash-2-74
    https://github.com/caa82437/PolarisBiosEditor

Here are the step you would take if you didn't flash your card already. I hope you saved your original bios, if you didn't use gpuz https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/ to see what kind of memory your cards have. If it's hynix i can send it to you.

1, open atiflash, MUST RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR
    2, click on save to save the original bios, save it as RX470ogBIOS.ROM (for convenience)
    3, open polaris bios editor
    4, open the OG bios you just saved
    5, edit the timings according to your cards memory
    6, click save, save it as RX470modBIOS.ROM
    7, open atiflash again, MUST RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR
    8, at the top select the card you want to flash
    9.click load image at the bottom left
    10, search for the modded bios you just saved
    11, click program
    12...wait a minute to finish, when its done it'll say to restart...if you're done click yes, if you have more cards to flash click no and repeat steps 8-12 until you're done.

Also, when selecting cards to flash, it will only show 3 cards, so only have 3 cards connected to the motherboard at a time, flash the cards, restart, make sure it worked, shutdown, switch cards and repeat. And then make sure you have the right driver installed

• lukaisailoviclukaisailovic Member Posts: 43
    edited January 2017
    @agent412 I did what exactly what you told me but now it looks like i bricked card (win wont boot, black screen) so i switched to other bios since I couldnt get card to be recognized by windows to flash original bios back. No idea what i did wong. Btw card is sapphire nitro+ with samsung memory
  • lukaisailoviclukaisailovic Member Posts: 43
  • agent412agent412 Member, Moderator Posts: 293 mod
    edited January 2017
    @lukaisailovic what did you set the timings at? You should only have to copy the 1750 timing down to 2000, and when you saved the original, you should keep the bios switch to the side that says V Bios Switch (Gaming Mode), save the original bios, shutdown, switch the bios switch back to the silent mode and turn on the rig, now save that bios too. You'll want to edit the Gaming mode bios and flash it to your card now that its set to the silent mode.
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    You can flash over the bad BIOS by booting with the good BIOS, flip BIOS switch while hot, flash original BIOS, and reboot.

Sounds odd the BIOS you made didn't work. You copied the 1750 strap to 2000 and didn't change anything else?
  • cidmocidmo Member Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    u should almost never use atiwinflash unless u absolutely trust it, so many things can happen on a windows system while ur flashing even with cmd
    i always use atiflash from admin cmd prompt in windows tho, call me daring
    when there u just do
    atiflash -i
    that gives info on cards
    compare order with something like gpu-z or afterburner
    and when i flash i always use
    atiflash -p -f adapter# rom.name
    -f is for forcing the flash, this shouldnt make a huge diff but wont hurt, think its for when something like UAC is on

atiflash -h
    gives all commands i think
    i also only ever flash 1 card at a time
    make sure gpu-z and afterburner and radeon settings are not open
    pretty much anything showing info from gpu sensors
    and if possible sometimes its best to flash while only 1 card is in the system but totally not a req ofc
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    @cidmo I always use atiwinflash from cmdline... don't think it really makes any difference.
  • cidmocidmo Member Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    like i said id only do it if u trust it
    all the litecoin miners who taught me wouldnt even flash in windows
    they would boot up a USB dos just to flash
    so many things can happen in windows u have no control over especially win 10
    other than gpu-z or afterburner open during flashing, every person ive talked to who "bricked" their cards was using the atiwinflash GUI
    atiwinflash is the same thing as atiflash from command line
    atiwinflash is the GUI version of atiflash
  • Ehab_wahbaEhab_wahba Member Posts: 47
    After moding
    How to set the core MHz to 1145 cuz in wattman there is alot of values for the core MHz not only one

And why would a card hangs up in open CL
    While another one with the same values working nicely?