Quick guide to flash your RX470/RX480 cards

agent412agent412 Member, Moderator Posts: 293 mod
edited May 2017 in Mining
This is just a quick guide for how to flash you RX470/RX480 cards. I hope it helps.

Download these.
https://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2728/atiflash-2-74
https://github.com/caa82437/PolarisBiosEditor
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

If you want a custom rom (Higher hash, lower power), you can contact Heliox
For example: RX 480 8G Samsung: 32+Mh ETH, RX 470 4G Hynix: 31+Mh ETH

Use GPU-Z to see what kind of memory your card has

1, open atiflash, MUST RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR
2, click on save to save the original bios, save it as RX470ogBIOS.ROM or RX480ogBIOS.ROM (for convenience)
3, open polaris bios editor
4, click open at the top left and open the OG bios you just saved
5, edit the timings according to your cards memory
6, click save, save it as RX470modBIOS.ROM or RX480modBIOS.ROM
7, open atiflash again, MUST RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR
8, at the top select the card you want to flash
9, click load image at the bottom left
10, search for the modded bios you just saved and open it
11, click program
12...wait a minute to finish, when its done it'll say to restart...if you're done click yes, if you have more cards to flash click no and repeat steps 8-12 until you're done.

Also, when selecting cards to flash, it will only show 3 cards, so if you want to flash more than 3 cards, only have 3 cards connected to the motherboard at a time, flash the cards, restart, make sure it worked, shutdown, switch cards and repeat. And then make sure you have the right driver installed.

This is what works for me. I hope it works for you too.
Post edited by Heliox on

Comments

• ethfanethfan Member Posts: 458 ✭✭✭
    A bit more details about step 5 would be more useful.
  • agent412agent412 Member, Moderator Posts: 293 mod
    @ethfan I actually thought about being more detailed about the timings, but there are different settings for different cards and memory types, so to keep it simple I kept it that way and I wanted to leave it to the person to do their own research on what card they have. :)
  • charliebridge82charliebridge82 Member Posts: 34
    I would suggest an extra step: Flash every card alone, connected in the main pci-e 16x slot of your mobo...This is to avoid problems if you have different cards in your rig or you don't have much confidence in your risers' quality

I would suggest an extra step: Flash every card alone, connected in the main pci-e 16x slot of your mobo...This is to avoid problems if you have different cards in your rig or you don't have much confidence in your risers' quality

Definitely a good idea if you have different cards. All my cards are the same and have the same memory, so I've never had a problem flashing 3 at a time on risers. I have 32 RX470s...I'd go nuts flashing 1 at time lol
    agent412 said:

Definitely a good idea if you have different cards. All my cards are the same and have the same memory, so I've never had a problem flashing 3 at a time on risers. I have 32 RX470s...I'd go nuts flashing 1 at time lol
    LOL :D Flashing 32 cards "one-at-a-time" must be a pain! hahahahaha well, in my case I just have one test rig and different memory per GPU (elpida/hynix).
  • toothalicioustoothalicious Member Posts: 37
    I've flashed my cards but the drivers won't work every time I start up windows :( it seems that you can't disable the driver sig enforcement in win10 anymore without doing an shift + restart -> advanced startup... really Microsoft wtf

I've flashed my cards but the drivers won't work every time I start up windows :( it seems that you can't disable the driver sig enforcement in win10 anymore without doing an shift + restart -> advanced startup... really Microsoft wtf

i'm using win7 64, no problems with driver sig
  • toothalicioustoothalicious Member Posts: 37
    @charliebridge82 don't you need to hack some windows files to allow for >4 gpu mining though? the only reason i chose win10 over win7 is because of how easy it was to immediately get 5 gpus up and running

@charliebridge82 don't you need to hack some windows files to allow for >4 gpu mining though? the only reason i chose win10 over win7 is because of how easy it was to immediately get 5 gpus up and running

Yeah, sadly... That's the only problem with win7, if you have more than 4 gpu's then win10 is the only choice (or linux, but I don't have the time to learn it)
  • Ehab_wahbaEhab_wahba Member Posts: 47
    That's for BIOS modification I did that steps copied the 1500 starps for all my cards 2*470 8 + 1* 480 4 the total hashrate rose from 63 to 73

I wanted more cause whattomine said these cards should get me 81 MHz

So I used wattman
    The max memory MHz for the 470 is 2100 and I set it to 1950
    And for the 480 is 2250 so i set it at 2000

I don't care about the electricity bill so I don't need to devolte

But what is the other effects of devolte dose it make the card cooler ?
    Or gets me better performance ?
    Cards running 68-75 fans at 35-45℅

How to set the GPU MHz in wattman cuz I see more than one value (about 8) and don't know which one to set

Now running stable at 84 Mhs hashrate my pool ( flypool) reads the reported from the miner perfectly
    But the effective hashrate is very unstable and way lower than the reported
    My avg. Is about 70 MHS only ( less than 5℅ stale and invalid shares)
    How to fix that

Thanks in advance
  • B4nDiTB4nDiT Member Posts: 17
    Witch modbios for mining xmr or zcash with 6x480 rx nitro oc 8 gb. ? Low power consumption please
  • ursul0ursul0 Member Posts: 54
    This is the stand for a single card that I use:

• xhanziixhanzii Member Posts: 11
    how to fllas this Card sapphire nitro rx 470 8GB Memory micron

this is bios original

thank you
    @xhanzii I don't think there is a good bios mod for micron memory at this time.
  • deniscdenisc Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2017
    Please add atiflash for linux to the guide.
    atiflash for linux: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B22_19wYOMYIc01oMG9RVDRnbFE
  • Zikooamalou7Zikooamalou7 Member Posts: 15
    @agent412 Possible to know what the interest of the atiflash
    @Zikooamalou7 I'm sorry, I don't understand your question.
  • Zikooamalou7Zikooamalou7 Member Posts: 15
    I'll wording of the question, "What benefit me flash" Now that you have these steps is what change and what the Motive to do
  • OverconOvercon Member Posts: 37
    Hey guys, gals, what is a good rate for the XFX RX 480 (RX480M8BFA6)? I haven't tried to flash the bios or do any other modifications yet. I have 5 of them running with 2 more on the way but I am getting around 111MH/s to 121MH/s.

• theneogeo1982theneogeo1982 Member Posts: 530 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Overcon said:

Hey guys, gals, what is a good rate for the XFX RX 480 (RX480M8BFA6)? I haven't tried to flash the bios or do any other modifications yet. I have 5 of them running with 2 more on the way but I am getting around 111MH/s to 121MH/s.

You should be getting around 29-31.... thats not that great, almost stock

To answer Zikooamalou7 question, you get anywhere from 20-22 stock out of box, by flashing with tweaking you get around 27 per card with lower power.. so huge benefits
  • OverconOvercon Member Posts: 37

Overcon said:

To answer Zikooamalou7 question, you get anywhere from 20-22 stock out of box, by flashing with tweaking you get around 27 per card with lower power.. so huge benefits
    Can you tell me how you got that 29-31 rate? I'll be modding bios this weekend, just curious how you got the numbers is it the 111 MH/s modified by some number? Thanks,.
  • wiloswilos Member Posts: 6
    Waht timing settings would you suggest for an msi rx 480 gaming x 8gb card?
  • wiloswilos Member Posts: 6

Could you tell us how can you get 29-31?
    How have you modded your bios?
  • rnahlawirnahlawi Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2017
    Hi, I have 4x rx470 8gb on Asrock Pro BTC 2.0 with EVGA1200PS and using risers and windows 10.
    I modded bios by altering 1625,1750,2000 values with 1500.
    Using Claymore 8.0, i'm getting 28MH per card at start and then dropping on 2 cards between 20-24!
    I changed location of rizers on the mobo and same result.
    1- what did I miss?
    2- how to undervolt without using wattman or trixx (modded bios maybe)?

Edit: AMD driver 16.11.5
  • ciprianptciprianpt Member Posts: 219 ✭✭
    rnahlawi said:

Hi, I have 4x rx470 8gb on Asrock Pro BTC 2.0 with EVGA1200PS and using risers and windows 10.
    I modded bios by altering 1625,1750,2000 values with 1500.
    Using Claymore 8.0, i'm getting 28MH per card at start and then dropping on 2 cards between 20-24!
    I changed location of rizers on the mobo and same result.
    1- what did I miss?
    2- how to undervolt without using wattman or trixx (modded bios maybe)?

Edit: AMD driver 16.11.5

Try 16.9.1. what is the memory type of your cards, Samsung, Hynix, Elpida ? Undervolting with trixx is very easy.. set -mV to -100, -120 or even -150.. 1150 or 1130 gpu clock and 2100 memory clock, if it freeze then lower down with memory clock.
  • pazmanpazman Member Posts: 4
    Hello. I have 2x ASUS STRIX RX 470s 4GB. Elpida memory. I modded by altering the 1625,1750,2000 timing values with the 1500 values. I did a restart but the driver showed a problem and windows 10 wants me to fix it. I've done some of the fixes suggested like swapping in sys file, rebooting with driver signature verifcation off but no matter what I do Windows 10 always shows a problem with the driver. I also have not had any luck installing anything but the latest drivers as Windows always updates it. I've changed the setting in windows to have me update the drivers manually but it still overwrites? Is there any suggestions? Thank you very much.
  • EtherionEtherion Member Posts: 95
    You need to add that drivers that do not check bios signatures is 16.11.x running.

also, you can flash more than 3 cards using the command line.

ATIWinflash.exe -f -p 0 RX4808.rom
    ATIWinflash.exe -f -p 1 RX4808.rom
    ATIWinflash.exe -f -p 2 RX4808.rom
    ATIWinflash.exe -f -p 3 RX4808.rom
    ATIWinflash.exe -f -p 4 RX4808.rom
    ATIWinflash.exe -f -p 5 RX4808.rom
    shutdown /r /f

the cmd.exe should be run as admin and RX4808.rom is the modified bios rom. I did this on windows 10.

• listmanlistman Member Posts: 51
    pazman said:

Hello. I have 2x ASUS STRIX RX 470s 4GB. Elpida memory. I modded by altering the 1625,1750,2000 timing values with the 1500 values. I did a restart but the driver showed a problem and windows 10 wants me to fix it. I've done some of the fixes suggested like swapping in sys file, rebooting with driver signature verifcation off but no matter what I do Windows 10 always shows a problem with the driver. I also have not had any luck installing anything but the latest drivers as Windows always updates it. I've changed the setting in windows to have me update the drivers manually but it still overwrites? Is there any suggestions? Thank you very much.

after you flash your bios run atikmdag-patcher-1.4.4 then reboot, no problems.. You will need to run it every time you mod the bios, just run it before reboot or do like everyone else says and use an older driver. I prefer the patch, not sure why most people here seem to want to run an outdated driver?
  • bachita1989bachita1989 Member Posts: 4
    I have flashed but then there was claymore erros some display error and have it can be fixed?
  • chrizzochrizzo GermanyMember Posts: 131 ✭✭
    Hi, i cant flash? Maybe cause on first pcie is an nvidia card and on the second pcie the amd?