Free your stuff - decentralized video store

timtim Member Posts: 1
edited October 2014 in Projects
Let us assume that the term of "possession" can be applied to a DAO (in the sense that a DAO owns an object) and that it is possible to donate something to a DAO permanently.
Let us further assume that there is such a DAO that has no controlling entity and no restrictions on who can be a "member" of the DAO. Then it is reasonable to call this DAO "the society", or at least some sub-society of "the society".
While in the pre-Ethereum world it is only possible to donate something to a specific state, donations to society as a whole would be possible in Ethereum.

Let me give a less abstract example of such donations:

Imagine there is a Dapp that manages a set of DVDs that are stored at distributed locations. Everyone can "donate" their DVDs to this system, not by sending them anywhere but merely by registering them and stating the intent of donating the DVDs to the system. From this point on, the DAO owns the DVD and the original owner just stores it for the DAO. The persons taking part are able to search for and "rent" DVDs. If someone wants to rent a DVD, it is sent by the person currently storing the DVD (person A) to the person who wants to rent it (person B). Note that since the DVD is owned by the DAO and just stored by person A, B does not have to return it to A but will rather store the DVD for the DAO and send it to the next person who wants to rent it.

I know that the times of the DVD and sending movies by parcel are over and using Ethereum for this is probably overkill, but I still like the idea. How often did you watch your DVDs in your collection? How many people would like to watch one of the movies you have at home but are unable to find them online or in the video store? How would such a system evolve if we add personal recommendations?

Comments

• JasperJasper Eindhoven, the NetherlandsMember Posts: 514 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    However, anyone borrowing can run away with it. I think the issue is how to figure out how to exclude people that actually do so. I think in essence, you need a sort-of reputation system. You would loan to friends because you trust them, but you dont ask friends who they trust. A reputation system could do all that and try figure out for who else trust is implied. (trust networks are a big topic) As you go out and use that, you and implied-trust guy gauge the interactions, and more information goes into the trust system. Eventually, trust would reach further than it would otherwise. However, reputation/trust systems are by no means easy.. I am trying to figure them out here, but as you see, it is messy.

Now i think about it, lets say each person has a "wall", a list of discussion threads, and they cannot take stuff off their wall. When you interact with someone you put a little thing on the wall about it, how it went. Of course, people could spam their own wall, with fake accounts, adding nice things about themselves. However the trick to stop this, is that you only see the threads from people you have implied trust for. So spamming doesn't work, people won't see it anyway.(each thread has comments, so people can respond to it)

This "wall" as seen by you, would itself be reputation, it takes long to absorb, because you have to read stuff off the wall to figure out what is what. But that is also an advantage, because it basically uses "human information", it can handle complex stuff, because humans do a lot of the "computation". (the "what you see" thing is still tricky. I.e say you see stuff from your friends and friends-friends, then people have incentive to not add friends, because that thins out the messages they see)

All this stuff about trust.. If the problem about renting/loaning away is not trust, but simply finding out who is offering, or the idea that you could do so, your idea could help by itself.
  • shopnhowlershopnhowler Member Posts: 4
    @tim, why is DAO ownership necessary? Is there some part of the "videos" analogy that I'm missing? Otherwise, it seems like the DAO video marketplace would still hold by tracking DVD possession (the actual, physical object).

@jasper sure reputation is important. But if you have a minimum buy-in to transfer the DVD, selling or keeping/"running away with" the DVD would be sustainable.
  • JasperJasper Eindhoven, the NetherlandsMember Posts: 514 ✭✭✭
    @shopnhowler I think we need to look at some specific setup. Generally, if it goes wrong, you don't know which side is to blame. You have to take into account potential behavior from all participants.

In the case of "simultanious pass-over", like in a shop,(or a gangster drugs-money transfer scene) neither side can easily walk away with the money or the goods. You could see lending as potentially two of those, back and forth. With a deposit going back and forth, and potentially a small rent payment.

But both sides can choose not to participate in the second one. Any deposit on lending could be seen as buying/selling, and the deposit value makes that attractive/unattractive for either side, depending on the seen value of the item. This makes the deposit contentious. In the best case, the lender didnt want it anymore, it had a much lower value to him than market value. In that case, the recipient is just stuck with the item, and can sell it again. In worse cases, the deposit was lower/higher than the price one of the parties would have sold/bought it from, and basically a lend turned into a bad buy.

One way to get around it is to just have a second deposit that can be destroyed if the parties dont like the outcome. Grudge escrow sort-of does this, but not at all aimed at lending items.

Again want to remind that people always have a reputation/trust system of sorts, in their mind. And again, that might be good enough by itself in many cases.