Announcement of Imminent Hard Fork

agent412agent412 Member, Moderator Posts: 293 mod
edited May 2017 in Mining
https://blog.ethereum.org/2016/10/13/announcement-imminent-hard-fork-eip150-gas-cost-changes/

"During the last couple of weeks, the Ethereum network has been the target of a sustained attack. The attacker(s) have been very crafty in locating vulnerabilities in the client implementations as well as the protocol specification.

While the recent patches have led to an overall increased resiliency in the client implementations, the attacks have also demonstrated that a lower-level change to the EVM pricing model is needed.

For many users, the most visible consequence is probably that they are having difficulties getting transactions included in blocks, and full nodes are facing memory limitations in managing the bloated state.

This is our strategy to address these issues:
  • As a temporary measure to minimize the effects of the most recent attack, we recommend all miners to lower the gaslimit to 500K gas.

• A hard-fork based on EIP 150 version 1c will be put into effect at block 2457000. This will reprice certain operations to correspond better to the underlying computational complexity.

• A second hard-fork will follow shortly after, aimed at reverting the current “state-bloat” introduced by the attacks. This second fork will serve to remove accounts which are empty; lacking code, balance, storage and nonce == 0.
We have implemented the changes required in the clients and are currently extending and adding tests in an effort to prevent the introduction of consensus-breaking vulnerabilities.

And as a reminder, the Ethereum Bug Bounty [2] is open and includes the new hardfork-implementations."
Post edited by Heliox on

Comments

• drizzt_do_urdendrizzt_do_urden Member Posts: 181 ✭✭✭
    https://twitter.com/etherchain_org?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

and then we should just mine as we used to so far? no coins will be lost? profitability?
  • Tasty_PotatoTasty_Potato Member Posts: 4
    What will be required of the miners and the pools to migrate to new eth-coin-state after hard fork (EIP 150)?
  • YogiYogi Member Posts: 147 ✭✭
  • Tbone5660Tbone5660 Member Posts: 75
    Yogi said:

This topic :D

"Imminent Hard" Lmao!
  • TruthchanterTruthchanter Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    Does this mean there may be a 3rd ethereum currency? Like how there is eth and then etc (classic), and now a 3rd etc classic 2??
  • BiodomBiodom Member Posts: 693 ✭✭✭
    i understand the first fork, but NOT the second.
    It is possible to do the second fork, but why?
    Example: i have an account at polo and account at Kraken that are currently empty.
    Are they going to be removed? It would be minor nuisance to make and record new accounts, but i can assure you that SOME people WILL send funds to their preexisting accounts, whether you made blog announcement or not (not everyone reads this).
  • galileogalileo Member Posts: 9
    Just a newbie question about the fork.

I have Ether in my wallet balance, and contracts and tokens of other currency.

What I need to do to mantain this balance?
  • YogiYogi Member Posts: 147 ✭✭
    Biodom said:

i understand the first fork, but NOT the second.
    It is possible to do the second fork, but why?
    Example: i have an account at polo and account at Kraken that are currently empty.
    Are they going to be removed? It would be minor nuisance to make and record new accounts, but i can assure you that SOME people WILL send funds to their preexisting accounts, whether you made blog announcement or not (not everyone reads this).

Yep, This is a very valid point. I'm not sure if there is a way they can say, all 0 balance accounts since 1st OCT are removed.. or use some limiting factor when it comes to removing them.

Still as much of a bother as all of this is, I knew when I embarked on my Ethereum journey that it was going to be rocky.. Bitcoin had plenty of bumps in the road on the way to success right and it's certainly better to get them out of the way earlier rather than later.
  • Jotun70Jotun70 Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    My understanding of the second fork is that accounts that have been used (even if they have zero balance now) would remain. There is code/history attached to them, unlike these spam/bloat accounts which have been randomly created by the attacker(s) and serve no use but to stifle the chain.

I know my terminology is likely completely wrong, but that is my basic understanding.
  • 64dimensions64dimensions Member Posts: 7
    edited October 2016
    It would be helpful if notice is given in the forums that the relevant version of geth has been posted on Github.

They have less than 3 days to post a newer version as it is.
  • agent412agent412 Member, Moderator Posts: 293 mod
    @Yogi @Tbone5660 ...opps lol, i fixed it.
  • blackwolfblackwolf EarthMember Posts: 86
    Smokyish said:

Since people are having a hard time understanding what the "removal" of accounts means in the "state-bloat" fork, here's an analogy on what it does.

In this analogy you are one of the empty accounts that have 0 balance, 0 storage, 0 nonce and 0 code.

You are at work, there's lots of people moving around, talking and doing work. You are an empty husk, just standing there doing nothing at all. There are lots of other empty husks like you standing around taking up space in the office, while doing nothing.

So the accounts won't be removed from existence but instead from the state trie and since they don't have any data in them, they are just cluttering the trie. If an account gets removed from the trie, the person holding the private key can still access and use the account, but then it won't be a 0 balance, 0 storage, 0 nonce and 0 code account, so it gets added back to the state trie.

good analogy
  • techtottechtot Member Posts: 339 ✭✭✭
    Are we going to have to select the new fork when hf happens or will it be automatic? (like last time in Mist). I don't wont to send funds on a pre-fork blockchain that gets lost... Aren't a lot of people going to accidentally do that? Or maybe someone can explain it better for us users that run our own wallet.
  • boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭
    its been moved:

https://blog.ethereum.org/2016/10/13/announcement-imminent-hard-fork-eip150-gas-cost-changes/

EDIT: Fork block has been moved to 2463000 in order to accommodate even more testing.
  • armymanarmyman Member Posts: 23
    Can we keep mining during the hard fork?
    Any difference between solo miners and pool miners?
  • SmokyishSmokyish Member Posts: 203 ✭✭
    @armyman You can keep on mining just like before.
    If you are solo mining, you need to have your geth/parity node updated and ready for the fork, for pool miners, just keep mining, the pool takes care of the node business.
  • kinoblemeisterkinoblemeister Member Posts: 12
    edited October 2016
    Hi guys,

Im using Claymore miner 7.2 and have updated mist to latest client. Do I need to do anything else? I know that geth is inbuilt into Claymore unlike running it in cmd like some miners so not sure if i need or how to update that?

Mining nanopool btw.

Thanks
  • breathesumetherbreathesumether Member Posts: 20
    @Smokey

"Since people are having a hard time understanding what the 'removal' of accounts means in the "state-bloat" fork, here's an analogy on what it does..."

Yes great analogy!

Milton - "Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler"
    boysie said:

its been moved:

EDIT: Fork block has been moved to 2463000 in order to accommodate even more testing.

what day should that fall on? thought it was already moved to tuesday, is it now later in the week? i hope they dont keep moving it as some exchanges have already halted eth trading...
    edited October 2016
    countdown here: https://fork.codetract.io/
    not very far to go. will happen in the next 7 hrs;.
  • drizzt_do_urdendrizzt_do_urden Member Posts: 181 ✭✭✭
    I think it will be today!
    techtot said:

countdown here: https://fork.codetract.io/
    not very far to go. will happen in the next 7 hrs;.

ahh thanks so it will be today
  • HasLuxHasLux Member Posts: 48
    Congratulations! Screen shot of a couple of my nodes I was monitoring with other major network nodes. They are all in synch with the network after the fork :)
  • breathesumetherbreathesumether Member Posts: 20
    This explains why the network hashrate dropped slightly, and ETH went up about a buck. Woohoo we're slightly richer. :p
  • CudaMiner999CudaMiner999 Member Posts: 2
    My miners have stopped working post hard fork on ethermine.org. I use the gpu client ethminer-0.9.41-genoil-1.1.6-pre. How do i get things to start working again? What settings need to change?
  • SmokyishSmokyish Member Posts: 203 ✭✭
    @CudaMiner999 Nothing, the fork has in no way affected the mining, the problem is on your end if it's not working.
    And now the network is under attack again. from reddit:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/589l6b/lol_i_think_its_another_attack_contract_burns/

Also, on Dwarfpool today:

"Another attack on ethereum started today 19th.
    Stats recheck. Payouts paused All payouts to failed contracts will be resend."

Is this an uphill battle that never ends?
  • armymanarmyman Member Posts: 23
    My mining is quite slower since the hard fork, is this happening to someone else? Is it because of the hard fork, or for the recent attack? I am mining on etheremine
  • HasLuxHasLux Member Posts: 48

My miners have stopped working post hard fork on ethermine.org. I use the gpu client ethminer-0.9.41-genoil-1.1.6-pre. How do i get things to start working again? What settings need to change?

Im using genoul 1.1.9 latest 110 releasr and witg ethermine you have to is the -SP flag and set it to 1. I suspect they switched back to legacy statum protcil.