Ethereum Forums to remain open / Call for community moderators

GeorgeHallamGeorgeHallam Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 229 admin
Hello everyone!

As you may know, we recently announced that we were looking to close down the Ethereum Forums.

This decision lead to a great deal of discourse within the community, and it was made clear to us that there exists a vibrant technical group who are very keen to continue using the Ethereum forums as they are, mostly for troubleshooting and technical assistance/discussion around mining.

We were hoping to help consolidate the useful mining information within the Ethereum Stack Exchange so that it can continue to grow to be a one stop solution for Ethereum tech troubleshooting (we’re working very hard to help people access Ethereum documentation). However, we understand that the Stack Exchange is not quite as permissive of discussion as the forums are. It's also not very good for posting pictures of your rigs!

With that in mind, we've decided that it is best to keep the Ethereum Forums open for use.

We’d also like to announce a call for community moderators who are interested in helping us maintain this corner of the Ethereum ecosystem!

This process will likely take a few weeks, and ideally we’d like to assemble a positive, efficient and polite team of upstanding individuals from various places around the world (the more timezones the better!).

If squashing spam, telling off trolls and being neighbourly to noobs is something you’d like to help us with, please leave the following information in a comment below:
  • Username
  • Timezone/geographical location
  • Relevant experience
  • Previous examples of you helping the Ethereum community (links)
Finally, please feel free to nominate others who you feel would be well suited, and if you don’t want to publish your information publicly, feel free to send me a PM.

Comments

• HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    Would just like to say that i'm very glad with this decision.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who are active at the forums who are willing to help out (moderate) and will be mature enough to handle it in such a way that this great forum can and will remain as good as it is.

I'm from Europe, i have enough experience (my own opinion of course :)) and i've helped out plenty where i can.
    Although, i would only be interested if there isn't enough interest from others.

So in short, if there is a need for someone extra and no one "capable" can be found, i'll be here to assist.

Greetings.
  • Marvell9Marvell9 Member Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    good deal and well done
  • rdnkjdirdnkjdi Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Great news!!!! Thank you for reconsidering!

@dlehenky & @work get my vote for mods
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear this, @GeorgeHallam!

I would be willing/interested in helping to moderate.

Username: work (ofc)
    Timezone/geographical location: PST, Canada
    Relevant experience: Have moderated mid-sized forums in the past
    Previous examples of you helping the Ethereum community (links): see post history?
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    work said:

Glad to hear this, @GeorgeHallam!

I would be willing/interested in helping to moderate.

Username: work (ofc)
    Timezone/geographical location: PST, Canada
    Relevant experience: Have moderated mid-sized forums in the past
    Previous examples of you helping the Ethereum community (links): see post history?

Got my vote!
  • dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Ditto: Great news and thank you! I guess I've sort of acted as a quasi-mod, at least at times, here on the forum. However, I have some intense personal stuff unfolding over the next 3 months (house with X finally sold after 4+ years, must build new (modest) place to live, move, etc.). I can certainly contribute, but I can't commit to anything "scheduled". I'm in the Pacific NW of the US. :)
  • o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Member, Moderator Posts: 1,291 mod
    @GeorgeHallam Awesome news! Thanks for reconsidering guys it's truly a worthwhile forum to keep up and running. There's simply no other place to have ongoing involved discussions.

I'm happy to mod but will be effectively offline for August. I've been here since Dec 14, am in Australia at TZ +10
  • ethereumnickethereumnick Member Posts: 49
    woot!

I'd mod if I didn't think the power might go to my head; and if I was here as often as I'd like.
    I say Give @o0ragman0o and @ordoe (but he's changed his name) the keys.

Thanks for keeping the lights on.
    @G416G, the love is not gone. We argued hard our case for them to see the value of this forum and they have. So good on them for responding by keeping it open! There's a lot of good will and good people here and some of those are going to be able to deal with the spammers (not that they're that much of a problem). Can't you see that as a good thing?
  • agent412agent412 Member, Moderator Posts: 293 mod
    I'm very happy to hear this, I'd like to say @work and @dlehenky would be great moderators.
    Also, I wouldn't mind being a moderator.

Username: Agent412
    Timezone: EST, Pennsylvania
    Experience: I've built a few mining rigs
    Helping the Ethereum community: I guess you can check my post history, through private messages I've helped out a handful of people setting up their rigs and step by step instructions to start mining.

And I'm on this site all the time, I'd like dropping the hammer on spammer/trolls.
  • oslakoslak Member Posts: 191
    How many mods will there be?
  • dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    bitcanuck said:

rdnkjdi said:

Great news!!!! Thank you for reconsidering!

@dlehenky & @work get my vote for mods

While dlehenky is often calm, rational, and objective, we need moderators behave that way all the time and aren't concerned with whether people's feelings get hurt. This is a technical forum, and if one member feels attacked when another says, "No, you're wrong. A r9 280x does not get 25MH/s mining on the current epoch dag.", then tough shit.
    That's a criticism I'm happy to receive. There are many ways to disagree with someone without being judgmental and confrontational. But that's just me, Mr. Too Emotional. :)
  • GeorgeHallamGeorgeHallam Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 229 admin
    Thank you for all the responses so far! It's great to see people are interested in joining the mod team.

Ideally, I'd like to bring around 5 new mods on board.
  • lverdaslverdas Member Posts: 64
    Thank you for keeping the forum open!!!!!! :)
  • meatologistmeatologist Member Posts: 44
  • greenusergreenuser 50.8862°N 4.5537°WMember Posts: 439 ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    @GeorgeHallam it takes a man to say when he is wrong. Thank you.
    It was your puppy. Don't let it mess the new carpet. Delegation is the first bastion of good leadership. You need to be more aware of your surroundings, you wouldn't last long on the battlefield.
    Oh!... and sorry i said you didn't look old enough to shave,
    it will soon pass. Still think your a Rupert though. :)
    Anyhash, I vote work to be a mod.
    @work i voted you, remember, i voted you ;)

But... I also think forum mod should be a paid position! Without good moderation it will all got to hell and you will want to shut it down again.
    You get what you pay for. Step up!
    Post edited by greenuser on

Thank you for all the responses so far! It's great to see people are interested in joining the mod team.

Ideally, I'd like to bring around 5 new mods on board.

@GeorgeHallam 5eth per month sounds perfect, nice offer.
    6 month contract?
    Contracts can go out to tender twice a year and any hat can bid.
    You could give them a badge even.

You are clever, how lucky we are to have a Boss with your incite. Ethereum will be massive. I am humbled.

• agent412agent412 Member, Moderator Posts: 293 mod
    Any news on moderators?
  • dittoditto Member Posts: 139 ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Can help if needed.

Great change of mind!
    edited May 2016
    Hello all! I'm going to reach out to a few of you this week via personal message - would love to have a quick catch-up, then we can move forwards from there.

Have already connected briefly with @Work, but would like to organise a call none the less. Also, we'll setup a mod chatroom so we can start getting things done.

Thank you everyone for your comments so far.
    @GeorgeHallam, Good job. Lets start pulling in the same direction and get this show on the road but... please please remunerate. It sends the right signals.

These types of forums are strange places with odd characters. That's the nature of fringe science, it attracts those on the edge of lunacy and genius.
    Often miners feel isolated from the the project as they don't enjoy the interactions that other team members can take for granted. Communication is key and bottom up thinking an invaluable asset in this changing world we live. As asset classes go, "bottom up" is about to have its day. Be ahead of the curve.

Good luck @GeorgeHallam, good luck @work .I hope others will soon follow and we can get on with promoting Ethereum.
    Hi all! Little update from my end :)

I've been speaking with a group of rather excellent individuals over the last week or so in regard to building the new mod team!

We're essentially almost ready, and I'd just like to properly induct the last 2 of the 4 guys. Once everyone is up to speed, I'll introduce them all to you in a formal post, though you can probably make an educated guess of who they are already.

I've also been looking at how we can tidy the forum up over the next few weeks, things like making it more efficient/pleasurable to use, creating a new rule set and the like.

It's going to be an iterative process, so expect some small changes in look/design over time.

Most importantly, send over your feedback as we move fowards! :)
    @G416G Why Bother? It's mostly miners here and mining will finish at PoS...i.e. before the year out. Think how serene it will be then? Get it? Serenity? :)
  • juliasmainjuliasmain Member Posts: 21
    Very glad the decision was made to keep the forums. I'm a longtime Bitcoin user (around since 2012), and after some research in Ethereum I recently put a large percentage of my holdings in Ethereum. Look forward to being part of this community for long time to come!

• ethtrader1ethtrader1 Member Posts: 2
    I am fairly new here, but I would like to be involved and come on as a mod.
    e) Don't laugh at you because they're ahead of your timezone and got the joke yesterday before you even tried to be funny....
    edited June 2016

e) Don't laugh at you because they're ahead of your timezone........................

Yes we see things before they happen over here ;)

• ethereumfanaticethereumfanatic Member Posts: 27
    Thanks for keeping the forums open!
  • JakeRJakeR Member Posts: 9
    Glad the forums are staying! B)