Blockchain resets and client

TechnologovTechnologov Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
Due to Etherchain resets once every while, it is important to note we now have 2 forks of chains.
One has about ~4000 blocks, the other 10,000+ blocks.

On my PC and on http://etherchain.org/ I see the longer chain.
But if the dev team wants to flush and really reset the chain, here is the procedure:
1. announce it in advance (transparency is important!)
2. release team (core developers) must generate a new genesis block
3. hard code the new genesis block hash into a new client, such as new BETA/POC or an actual release.

This way, the older (longer) chain will no longer over-ride the short chain.

-Technologov

Comments

• obscurenobscuren Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Before anything I'd like to make very clear that the current state of Ethereum is Proof of Concept. We are still in a development phase and not even alpha. If anything we are alpha alpha :-) The sole purpose of the binaries is so that you (and others) can play with the current state of the network and can get a taste of what is to come.

You have to understand from our perspective; creating a new genesis block and announcing it every time we change something would involve a lot of work and we're already terribly swamped with work. It'd be counterproductive and only delay the development process.

This isn't testnet; this is Proof Of Concept net so block chain reset are imminent unfortunately. We try our every effort in to making it as painful as possible but please bear with us :-)
  • obscurenobscuren Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    Obviously that should have been "painless" instead of "painful" :-)