ethOS - Linux Ethereum Mining Platform

kotariuskotarius Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭

ethOS is a 64-bit Ubuntu distro that mines Ethereum out-of-the-box. ethOS is for large-scale deployment. #ethereumOS on freenode.

To calculate your Ethereum profitability, visit http://ethereum-mining-calculator.com/

Features

• Boots and mines: IP assignment via DHCP, watchdog cron makes sure that miner works.
  • DAG file management: SSD won't run out of space.
  • Remote pool management possible: just reboot to get new config.
  • Hostname defined by your mac address: ideal for multiple rigs.

Limitations of Scope

The below are common requests from small-scale miners. ethOS is meant for large-scale deployment.

The following will never be possible on ethOS:

• NVIDIA mining (ethOS is AMD only).
  • wireless networking (wireless networking causes packet loss, especially in large deployments).
  • browser-based/GUI-based management (all required management is done through ssh and local scripts).
  • support for other algorithms.

Requirements

• At least 16gb SSD (not USB stick).
  • 64-bit system.

How to Get

• ethOS is released pre-loaded on a 16gb SSD.
  • Buy it at gpuShack.com.
  • gpuShack accepts major Credit Cards, PayPal, Amazon Payments, and Bitcoin.
  • ethOS is scheduled to ship February 15th, but may ship earlier, depending on total order quantity.

Licensing

ethOS is released under the "Small Goat with Red Eyes" license. You should buy one SSD from gpuShack.com, per each rig on which you intend to run ethOS. If you don't, a small goat with red eyes will visit you while you sleep.

Comments

• HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    Pure rip off from PIMP OS, only to sell GPU's at his website. Ask him a serious linux related question and he won't even know what the hell you're talking about.
  • kotariuskotarius Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    ethOS is being developed in a 100% clean room, from a fork of Ubuntu. Pimp is a fork of an earlier release of debian. ethOS does not share any codebase, trademarks, copyrights, intellectual property, or distribution method with pimp.

ethOS is a single-algorithm operating system meant for large-scale deployments, pimp is a multi-algorithm mining platform meant for home miners. Frankly, calling ethOS a ripoff of pimp is an insult to the pimp team's hard work and intelligence.
    edited January 2016
    Will happily answer any linux questions :)
    Post edited by kotarius on
  • dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    kotarius said:

Will happily answer any linux questions :)

Does EthOS have a "trimmed" kernel, without useless support for BT, Wifi, etc.? What version of ethminer/libethereum is being used? Is Geth installed, or do you assume it's on a separate machine or accessing a mining pool? Sorry if my assumption that you are the provider of ethOS is mistaken.

-Best Care
    David

edited January 2016
    dlehenky said:

Does EthOS have a "trimmed" kernel, without useless support for BT, Wifi, etc.? What version of ethminer/libethereum is being used? Is Geth installed, or do you assume it's on a separate machine or accessing a mining pool? Sorry if my assumption that you are the provider of ethOS is mistaken.

-Best Care
    David

No changes have been made to the kernel (3.19.0-25-generic) for this first release. We are attempting to get this out as fast as possible because of ethereum profitability. I manage a farm with 200 GPUs and need to deploy. Future releases will reduce support for useless functions.

With regards to ethereum miner, I would rather not divulge this information at this point. However, we are following GPL and the source is available upon request to all ethOS users.

Geth is not installed and is not required. There is no need to have a dedicated local node, all machines can connect to a predefined pool and submit work.

You are correct in assuming that ethOS is my project, backed by gpuShack's financial support. We are a team of four developers.

Check out this thread for current progress: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1341641.msg13720197#msg13720197
    edited January 2016
    Forgot to mention that the domain for ethOS is ethosdistro.com
  • syaoran99syaoran99 Member Posts: 204
    Hey guys, I just got my ethOS and it's working great! it's so cool that we get to track the rigs while we're not at the site, even when we're on vacation!

That said, the system is SO easy to use we just need a press of a button to power it up and it starts mining automatically! I'm already in love with this as even my housemates/mom/dad/sisters could help me keep watch over my mining rigs and set it up to start just anyone :)

here are a few pictures of using the OS.

i'm still waiting on the GPUs I ordered from them. Will post pictures when it arrives in a few days.

**All the way in Australia. Do take note that Customs WILL tax you if your orders are above 1000AUD and it will take a couple of weeks to clear which is a pain.**

• syaoran99syaoran99 Member Posts: 204
    I finally got my cards and I've set them all up :D the packaging was excellent considering it flew all the way from the US to Australia!

Thanks @kotarius for the excellent customer service! I'll definitely recommend more people to you if they're interested in mining. All your cards are working perfectly although their design is basic, it does definitely cater to efficiency solely for mining purposes!

• DPS50DPS50 Member Posts: 79
    Nice goodies !
  • happytreefriendshappytreefriends Member Posts: 537 ✭✭✭
    Is there a trial version or download version of ethOS someone can try before buying it?
  • ethpool.pp.uaethpool.pp.ua UkraineMember Posts: 67
    @happytreefriends Really? If you buy a card, you get it for nothing. If not, it's $40 preinstalled on a 16 GB SSD. If you don't like it, you still have the SSD. That's about as close as you're going to get to a free trial, without it being free, seems to me. For that price, why would the author waste the time trying to rig a download so you can try it, without you being able to just use it without paying (and pass it around on the 'net to all your good buddies)? Give the guy a break. If you're interested, buy it, if not, don't. Just saying; I have no connect to the author/seller.

Is there a trial version or download version of ethOS someone can try before buying it?

Download version is available at http://mining.gpushack.com , it costs the same as the SSD.
    edited February 2016
    syaoran99 said:

I finally got my cards and I've set them all up :D the packaging was excellent considering it flew all the way from the US to Australia!

Thanks very much for the feedback, all international bulk orders are double-boxed!

Yes.. Really..
    I don't need more cards, when I do I buy new as I can get them cheap. I don't like to pay for a distro that has not proven itself TO ME for it's ease of use and reliability with my hardware, just like pretty much everyone else on the planet.
    I think you missed the part about the 'trial' version I was looking for, not a free one. If it were to work, I'd happily pay, otherwise guess I'll stick to my systems. :shrug:
  • MrOkgsMrOkgs Member Posts: 8
    like it! Just ordered two for test in Sweden :)
    @happytreefriends

Do you pay Sapphire on a trial basis? What about Corsair? Do you go on forums and ask them to give you a trial power supply or trial GPU that somehow stops working after the trial expires?

No? Well... you get my point.
  • sony87sony87 Member Posts: 24
    kotarius said:

@happytreefriends

Do you pay Sapphire on a trial basis? What about Corsair? Do you go on forums and ask them to give you a trial power supply or trial GPU that somehow stops working after the trial expires?

You can return any new product in 7 days with full refund. Do you offer such right given by law ? Is the price of 39$ per machine or i can put it on 10 machines ?
    edited February 2016
    @sony87

There are 6 things wrong with what you said:

1. Payment for any product is still collected prior to shipment. Any talk of refunds is another story entirely. It has nothing to do with trail versions.

2. When people buy ethOS, they are paying for the distribution method and for good faith support, not the OS itself. This is common for many enterprise-class linux distributions. So, once the OS is distributed to you, and good faith support is offered and received, our end of the transaction is complete, so there is nothing to refund.

3. There is no such universal law that requires companies to provide 7-day refunds. Most companies provide refunds in good faith to provide good customer support.

4. Furthering point 3, there is definitely no such universal law for digital products.

5. Furthering point 4, a person can pay with a credit card, and is then, therefore, protected by the services offered by his Card Issuer.

6. Furthering point 5, I never said I would not offer refunds. The fact of the matter is that everyone who has bought ethOS has loved it, and has not asked for a refund.

To answer your question, if you had read the sales page, you would know the licensing terms.
  • sony87sony87 Member Posts: 24
    take my money and shut up - nothing more to say....
    edited February 2016
    kotarius said:

@happytreefriends

Actually I get 30-45days money back if I chose to do so from pretty much any US based company.
    So yeah. If I don't like it, it goes back. And ps.. I don't use sapphire as they are utter JUNK.

I guess your product could be used as a trial, buy it and if someone doesn't like it, start a chargeback. Since it's paid for through the web, credit cards side with the buyer 100% of the time (In the USA at least). B)

edited February 2016

Actually I get 30-45days money back if I chose to do so from pretty much any US based company.

This is not relevant. First of all, it has nothing to do with trial basis. Instead, you are talking about refunds.

But, I can address your refund question, as well. Since ethOS is a pay-for linux distribution, we can follow examples of policies from other pay-for linux distributions:

https://www.redhat.com/apps/store/return.html
    Red Hat's policy is to not provide refunds or accept returns. This applies for purchases of physical media, subscriptions with physical media, and subscriptions without physical media (electronic download only).
    https://login.ubuntu.com/terms/
    Canonical does not provide refunds for any previous billing periods or partial billing periods.
    kotarius said:

This is not relevant. First of all, it has nothing to do with trial basis. Instead, you are talking about refunds.

But, I can address your refund question, as well. Since ethOS is a pay-for linux distribution, we can follow examples of policies from other pay-for linux distributions:

https://www.redhat.com/apps/store/return.html
    Red Hat's policy is to not provide refunds or accept returns. This applies for purchases of physical media, subscriptions with physical media, and subscriptions without physical media (electronic download only).
    https://login.ubuntu.com/terms/
    Canonical does not provide refunds for any previous billing periods or partial billing periods.
    Look, I don't want to keep going with this back and forth, but I was answering your shot back at me asking if I get refunds. I answered yes, so that makes it relevant.

As for refunds, it doesn't matter if you buy a piece of paper dipped in pig's blood, if the buyer disputes it with their ccard they WILL get refunded if they are in the US. Simple as that.

All of this has nothing to do with Red Hat Policies as we're not dealing with Red Hat, we're dealing with a 3rd party (you) who modified a distro. Just as in a Court of Law, virtual policies can not be upheld. It's just an old wife's tale. So talking about irrelevant, that's pretty much it.

Either way, I'm sticking to the simple Windows path so no matter to me, but as a business person, you could have handled the curiosity/questions much better and professional . :shrug:.
  • niromnirom CanadaMember Posts: 4
    I'm curious how you get around the limitations of the GPL license. Aren't you supposed to provided access to the source code of all GPL-licensed components?
    @nirom You're assuming he's made changes to GPL code. Most of what ethOS is is packaging. Init scripts, cron jobs, maintenance and monitoring scripts, pre-installed (unmodified) software, etc. that has been tested as a system and requires very little of the user to install and run it.
    edited March 2016
    nirom said:

I'm curious how you get around the limitations of the GPL license. Aren't you supposed to provided access to the source code of all GPL-licensed components?

There are many misconceptions regarding the GPL. I urge anyone worried about ethOS compliance with GPL to actually read the contents of its license.

Edit, link added for convenience: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.en.html
  • MurzMurz Member Posts: 18
    Been using this since release, works flawlessly so far.
  • anonymous95anonymous95 Member Posts: 248
    syaoran99 said:

Hey guys, I just got my ethOS and it's working great! it's so cool that we get to track the rigs while we're not at the site, even when we're on vacation!

That said, the system is SO easy to use we just need a press of a button to power it up and it starts mining automatically! I'm already in love with this as even my housemates/mom/dad/sisters could help me keep watch over my mining rigs and set it up to start just anyone :)

here are a few pictures of using the OS.

i'm still waiting on the GPUs I ordered from them. Will post pictures when it arrives in a few days.

**All the way in Australia. Do take note that Customs WILL tax you if your orders are above 1000AUD and it will take a couple of weeks to clear which is a pain.**

Is this online mining? And how much it cost you for your 200+ mhs?
  • cminercminer Member Posts: 6
    Solid product, thanks!