Does transaction without value cost any transaction fee?

Hi, if I send a transaction to the contract without any money transfer, does it cost any transaction fee when being minded. I am looking at micro payment, and found this article posted in Ethereum blog. https://blog.ethereum.org/2014/09/17/scalability-part-1-building-top/. And I raised this question when I read the code given in the section micro payment section. Thanks.

Comments

• GeorgeHallamGeorgeHallam Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 229 admin
    edited July 2015
    While you could conceivably pay 0 gas price and hope that altruistic miners might mine it for "free", there generally is an intrinsic minimum gas required for non-contract value transfers.

In case of micropayments, you rely on batching them together in large amounts, meaning the relative gas cost for each individual transaction is hopefully minuscule.
  • pinoyyidpinoyyid Member Posts: 17

While you could conceivably pay 0 gas price and hope that altruistic miners might mine it for "free",.

But the miners still get the block reward right, which last time I looked, appeared significantly higher than the expected gas revenue?
  • linageelinagee Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    @sherry_nicta why would some malicious person not exploit any ability you give them to send bytes for free as a way to flood the network?
    As far as I understand, there is no way to do as you proposed. All bytes cost something.