Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC 8GB (11260-01-20G) modded BIOS 29+MH + downvolt

Comments

• JukeboxJukebox Member Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

My only problem with this bios are Memory Errors.

If you have a lot of memory errors, you need to downclock memory on that card.
    -20 MHz can fix the problem.
  • m00nspeellm00nspeell Member Posts: 11
    Jukebox said:

My only problem with this bios are Memory Errors.

If you have a lot of memory errors, you need to downclock memory on that card.
    -20 MHz can fix the problem.
    Still a lot of errors. Please can you help me with another bios or can i try Boysie's RX480 (REF) BIOS or another bios? It will work? Thank's.

• akaloithakaloith Member Posts: 14
    is there a bios available for the 4gb model? how much mhash ? gpu-z watt?
    edited October 2016
    akaloith said:

is there a bios available for the 4gb model? how much mhash ? gpu-z watt?

4 GB models use Hynix and elpida memory. This ROM is not compatible with them

or can i try Boysie's RX480 (REF) BIOS or another bios?

99 % that you brick your card.
    Still a lot of errors.

So this card is not very lucky, dovnclock memory little bit more till you find stable clock settings
  • draxydraxy Member Posts: 6
    Hi all,

I was trying to flash this rom vdrop+.rom but the system crashed almost every time I start claymore miner - with device driver stopped. Sometimes it works few minutes/hours with 1 or 2 gpus out of 4 gpus then crashes again with same error - device driver stopped.

The system has:
    - motherboard asrock h97 anniversary
    - 4x Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC 8GB (11260-01-20G)
    - 4 powered risers x1 to x16

Maybe I am doing something wrong in the installation phase. Please can someone can correct me if the steps I followed are not ok:
    - install windows 10 pro 64
    - check jumpers on video cards are on bios switch side
    - clean drivers with ddu
    - install crimson drivers 16.9.1 or 16.9.2 or 16.10.1
    - reboot
    - check cards are ok in device driver
    - move jumpers on video card to silent mode
    - flash this rom vdrop+.rom
    - reboot
    - check cards are ok in device driver
    - use strixx to set fans at 40% or 50%
    - use strixx to lower gpu voltage to -100mv or -80 or -70; lately I also lowered memclock to 2060, 2050, 2055
    - start claymore 7.1 or 7.2beta
    - some device drivers stopped claymore restart, everything freezes

Thanks
  • HavaneHavane Member Posts: 12
    Try without these steps :
    - use strixx to set fans at 40% or 50%
    - use strixx to lower gpu voltage to -100mv or -80 or -70; lately I also lowered memclock to 2060, 2050, 2055
    @draxy try to run on default voltage, without -100 mV drop.
    Post results here.
  • draxydraxy Member Posts: 6
    @Jukebox

- reinstalled drivers crimson 16.10.1
    - ran claymore 7.2beta without voltage drop
    - again 1 gpu was working, one failed and 2 showed 0 mhs
    - crash

screenshots:

• drizzt_do_urdendrizzt_do_urden Member Posts: 181 ✭✭✭
    try to install only drivers. don't install wattman. use wattTool for tweaking.
    edited October 2016
    @draxy don't forgate to enable 16gb of virtual memory. This will help you.

Also add in .bat file:

setx GPU_FORCE_64BIT_PTR 0
    setx GPU_MAX_HEAP_SIZE 100
    setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
    setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
    setx GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT 100

Also freezes are from undervoltage. On all my sapphire the best voltage are 0.8812-0900. Average consumption on wall with dual mining ~1000W, ~194Mh/s EHT + 2600 SIA, 6 gpu.
    @draxy set memclock to 2000 and test again.

Also do not forget to increase pagefile to at least 8 GB or 16 GB if possible. Claymore sometimes needs it.
  • atorrenteatorrente Member Posts: 47

On all my sapphire the best voltage are 0.8812-0900. Average consumption on wall with dual mining ~1000W, ~194Mh/s EHT + 2600 SIA, 6 gpu.

that means 32.3 mhs for each card. Can you explain me how did you reach these values on sapphire? (they are very good)
    Rom? Core and mem clock ?

thank you for your help ;)
    A.
    atorrente said:

On all my sapphire the best voltage are 0.8812-0900. Average consumption on wall with dual mining ~1000W, ~194Mh/s EHT + 2600 SIA, 6 gpu.

that means 32.3 mhs for each card. Can you explain me how did you reach these values on sapphire? (they are very good)
    Rom? Core and mem clock ?

thank you for your help ;)
    A.
    i made a keyboard mistake, it's 174 Mh/s:) I using same bios from @Jukebox . Maybe he will try to add another modify bios more "potent horsepower".
    As I said before, to squeeze more MH - it needs an individual tuning for each card. Some cards are lucky, some - not. Some people have problems even with comparatively safe clock settings in my published ROM.

Each card need long testing to find stable strap and clock settings and all you can reach is 1.5 MH additionally. It's not worth it, as for me.

Here is my another ROM with 1150/2150 clock settings, that does 29.8 MH. It used on my most unlucky card, so there is a big chance (but no any warranty) that almost any card can run stable with it. Use it on your own risk.

If you VERY lucky, you can try to clock up to 1225/2300 MHz and reach 31.5-32 Mh with this ROM, but test it yourself.
    @Jukebox you are a genius! This bios is rock! 184-188 Mh/s ETH (850-870W wall, 1225/2240, -75mv) or 179-180 Mhs Eth + 2600 SIA(1040-1060W).If you will came in Romania i will take you to the best restaurant in town!:)

If you will came in Romania i will take you to the best restaurant in town!:)

I'm not so far away.
    :)
    I'm from Ukraine.

Anyway, I'm very careful to post my modifications, because I'm responsible to any thing that I spread to community. So - some sings I can share safely. And other things - just with a lot of warnings.
  • atorrenteatorrente Member Posts: 47
    @Jukebox Always a big thank for sharing your work ;)

I do not know if it can be useful but I found this video on youtube that explains how to make the bios mod on your own and reach, with a few modifications, 30/31 mh/s

this is the link : https://youtube.com/watch?v=Mwb67g4skGM

A.
  • tudor2711tudor2711 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2016
    hi to all, thank you JUKEBOX
    could anyone please reply my request???
    is it possible to flash (with the rom that is available on this topic) a Sapphire rx 480 4gb without to brick the card?

p.s. the 4 gb version is a locked 8 gb version?!? isn´t it?

tudor2711 said:

hi to all, thank you JUKEBOX
    could anyone please reply my request???
    is it possible to flash (with the rom that is available on this topic) a Sapphire rx 480 4gb without to brick the card?

p.s. the 4 gb version is a locked 8 gb version?!? isn´t it?

Wrong. 8 GB cards are based on Samsung memchips.
    4 GB cards are based on Hynix or Elpida memory.
    Didn't saw 4 GB cards with Samsung memory yet.
    ROMs are totally different.
  • RaymanRayman Member Posts: 7
    This new bios. Can it take to -100mv?
    Rayman said:

For some yes for other not. The safest value is 0.900-0.910 mv, but depend's of luck. This is for my case.
    Rayman said:

Even -125 mV if you lucky.
    Base GPU voltage set to 900 mV for 300 MHz
    With this rom, I've got 30 Mh + 375 sia @ default settings in wattman : gpu @1125 memory @2150. When I change the memory @2200 I've got only 25 Mh and @2240 only 20. Why ?
    Havane said:

With this rom, I've got 30 Mh + 375 sia @ default settings in wattman : gpu @1125 memory @2150. When I change the memory @2200 I've got only 25 Mh and @2240 only 20. Why ?

Because after some clock limit memory becomes unstable and generates huge amount of errors. This limit can be found with GPU-Z - just check memory controller load. If it less than 100% - you OC'ed too much.

But even if you find memclock stable to memory controller load - it does not mean that your card now stable on mining. You can still have unpredecent hangs, reboot or clock reset issues and need to downclock even more.

My best card can run 2225 memclk max.
    some feedback on wattmeters : If I change GPU voltage & memory voltage from 1080mv to 950 mv, I save 30 watt (on wall). Nothing more if I go to 900mv
  • RaymanRayman Member Posts: 7
    Jukebox said:

As I said before, to squeeze more MH - it needs an individual tuning for each card. Some cards are lucky, some - not. Some people have problems even with comparatively safe clock settings in my published ROM.

Each card need long testing to find stable strap and clock settings and all you can reach is 1.5 MH additionally. It's not worth it, as for me.

Here is my another ROM with 1150/2150 clock settings, that does 29.8 MH. It used on my most unlucky card, so there is a big chance (but no any warranty) that almost any card can run stable with it. Use it on your own risk.

If you VERY lucky, you can try to clock up to 1225/2300 MHz and reach 31.5-32 Mh with this ROM, but test it yourself.

How I can set the clock to 1225/2300?
    Rayman said:

Jukebox said:

How I can set the clock to 1225/2300?
    MSI AB
  • trotoltrotol Member Posts: 102
    Jukebox said:

I'm not so far away.
    :)
    I'm from Ukraine.

Яка приємна несподіванка! :)

• crazyearnercrazyearner Member Posts: 58
    Just a quick quesiton on buying the sapphires.

I see 2 revisions of this card

11260-01

2304 Stream Processors
    14 nm FinFET
    4th Graphics Core Next (GCN)
    1208 MHz Engine Clock
    1342 MHz Boost Engine Clock

11260-07

2304 Stream Processors
    14 nm FinFET
    4th Graphics Core Next (GCN)
    1208 MHz Engine Clock
    1306 MHz Boost Engine Clock

The only difference between the 2 are the MHz boost engine clocks and price. Would it be just better to grab lower version one and save on cost of card or the first revision better as already overclocked from stock? or this them just turning the clocks up more and making stable run thus costing more?
  • HotmetalHotmetal Member Posts: 13

The only difference between the 2 are the MHz boost engine clocks and price. Would it be just better to grab lower version one and save on cost of card or the first revision better as already overclocked from stock? or this them just turning the clocks up more and making stable run thus costing more?

I went for the faster one.. The difference in price was so minimal that it didn't make much sense..

This is dual mining with 5 x RX480's!

ETH - Total Speed: 146.705 Mh/s, Total Shares: 875, Rejected: 0, Time: 08:29
    ETH: GPU0 29.538 Mh/s, GPU1 29.501 Mh/s, GPU2 28.668 Mh/s, GPU3 29.506 Mh/s, GPU4 29.491 Mh/s
    SC - Total Speed: 2200.567 Mh/s, Total Shares: 1308, Rejected: 0
    SC: GPU0 443.070 Mh/s, GPU1 442.510 Mh/s, GPU2 430.023 Mh/s, GPU3 442.592 Mh/s, GPU4 442.372 Mh/s

I'm not doing any manual undervolting or overclocking yet. That's just with @Jukebox's v4 bios.