Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC 8GB (11260-01-20G) modded BIOS 29+MH + downvolt

JukeboxJukebox Member Posts: 640 ✭✭✭
BIOS originally dumped with AtiWinFlash 2.74 on "silent" BIOS jumper position.
Modified with PBE (polaris bios editor) 1.4
Clocks 1125/2080 tuned to keep GPU and mem controller load maxxed.

Cooler profile - unmodified

Flashing and installing procedure can be found in Boysie thread.

It's strongly recommended to flash your card, when BIOS jumper is on "silent" position - when jumper moved to DVI/HDMI connectors side.

You can also use Sapphire trixx, wattman or something else you want - to modify voltage (in most cases it can be lowered), clocks and cooler profile.

BIOS seems to be stable, but use it on your own risk and make backup of your original BIOS before any change/flashing.
If you forgot to do it, you can find it here.

Joke! Even if you do something wrong and catch some troubles - simply boot your system with "default" BIOS jumper position. You can switch it on the fly after booting your OS and flash your original unmodified BIOS.

Comments

• JukeboxJukebox Member Posts: 640 ✭✭✭
    Forgot to say, I'm not patched my AMD drivers yet, running on unmodified crimson 16.9.1
  • goengoen Member Posts: 8
    nice work,
    thanks for sharing the rom.
    i will try it later.
  • BlueManBlueMan Member Posts: 16
    edited September 2016
    @Jukebox That's great work, may I ask how noisy the GPU(s) at this power?
  • luthorluthor Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    I wonder if using the 1625 strap is stable with 2150 on memory
    BlueMan said:

@Jukebox That's great work, may I ask how noisy the GPU(s) at this power?

Open stand, two cards placed directly on mo-bo, two free slots distance. No additional cooling.
    56 C one and 63 C other card. Room temp is 24 C.
    57% or 2100 RPM and 63% or 2450 RPM. Noise is present but not disturbing at all.
    edited September 2016
    luthor said:

I wonder if using the 1625 strap is stable with 2150 on memory

You can feel free to adjust clocks and voltage with this BIOS, but I'm not sure that is possible to find other clock combination with higher hashrate.

If you find it, post here pls.

My cards become unstable when I try to OC memory over 2175 MHZ with this BIOS.
    When I overstep 2080 MHZ memclock - hashrate is dropping.
    I'm still tuning clocks and BIOS.
    If I find some better combination about hashrate/power, I'll post it here.

FYI: I'm still running on unpatched Crimson 16.9.1 drivers, so I don't know how it affects to hashrate.
  • LogicaluserLogicaluser Member Posts: 214 ✭✭
    @Jukebox there are reports that the new 16.9.1 drivers have disabled the signature checking entirely, making the patched drivers & signature checking issues a thing of the past.

Oh are these using Samsung VRAM?

@Jukebox there are reports that the new 16.9.1 drivers have disabled the signature checking entirely, making the patched drivers & signature checking issues a thing of the past.

Thanks for info.

Oh are these using Samsung VRAM?
    According to info in PBE about timings and VRAM - yes.
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    Jukebox said:

I'm still tuning clocks and BIOS.
    If I find some better combination about hashrate/power, I'll post it here.

FYI: I'm still running on unpatched Crimson 16.9.1 drivers, so I don't know how it affects to hashrate.

If it boots, they must have disabled the signature check. Otherwise you wouldn't get any display in windows with a modified BIOS. Great news for easier 480 modding YAY!
    edited September 2016
    work said:

If it boots, they must have disabled the signature check. Otherwise you wouldn't get any display in windows with a modified BIOS. Great news for easier 480 modding YAY!

It is definitely boots =)

Problems only with clean driver installation or update with modified BIOS. Anyway - dual BIOS switch deals with this problem/
  • pkanpkan Member Posts: 22
    Have you tried lowering mem voltage in wattman after applying bios or do you leave it at 1000?
    edited September 2016
    pkan said:

Have you tried lowering mem voltage in wattman after applying bios or do you leave it at 1000?

Not using wattman, cuz it's too buggy and unstable now.

Lowering memvoltage have no big sense, as for me, at least now. Maybe I'm wrong, but let me test.

I'm trying to deal with GPU voltage now.
    I didn't find a way yet to set needed voltage in BIOS. Sapphire uses different voltage control schema, as far as I understand, and voltages set in BIOS not apply in real usage.

I tried to lower VDDC to 925 mV in BIOS, but it still 1000 mV when mining.

Anyway, now I'm testing another BIOS build, and tune GPU voltage with strixx.
    You can see on screenshot.
    29.3 Mh, 1125/2080 clock, 0.8875 V GPU (tuned with strixx), very low temps, power and RPM. 4+ hours stable.

You can compare it with startpost pic.

v2.png 27.7K
    Thanks Jukebox. I confirmed this does work, I'm getting 29.X eth + 3XX sia. For some reason after flashing this rom, I haven't been able to open amd settings/wattman but that's ok.
    pkan said:

Thanks Jukebox. I confirmed this does work, I'm getting 29.X eth + 3XX sia. For some reason after flashing this rom, I haven't been able to open amd settings/wattman but that's ok.

Just try again and again. This is a Battman. :D
    My hashrate dropped after a few minutes of dual mining, so i upped the max power and max fan rpm.
    pkan said:

My hashrate dropped after a few minutes of dual mining, so i upped the max power and max fan rpm.

I'm focused on single ETH mining with highest ETH hasrate/power ratio.

Target is stable 65-70W on GPU-Z "GPU only" power on 29+ MH ETH mining.

• MarlynNevesMarlynNeves Member Posts: 55
    Jukebox said:

Forgot to say, I'm not patched my AMD drivers yet, running on unmodified crimson 16.9.1

Where can I find a tutorial to flash BIOS and change the clocks and make undervolt?
    Sorry for the question, I am newbie it yet ...: /
  • zorvalthzorvalth Member Posts: 174
    pretty much in every thread here.
    edited September 2016
    Due to some hidden reasons our card ignores any voltage settings in BIOS, when they less than 1.000 V.
    Exception is only for P0 state (voltage for 300 mhz GPU clock). This voltage can be modified and it really works.

When card is under load (mining, gaming, etc) BIOS just sets 1 V on GPU - can be checked with GPU-Z.

Sapphire trixx 6.1 can set lower voltage, but it affects to all P-states, and P0 too - and cards become unstable, when P0 less than 725 mV.

According to these facts, I made new BIOS build, to let the cards stay stable. P0 state is 850mV now.

HOW TO USE.

1. Flash
    2. Reboot.
    3. Use strixx to setup fans ang GPU voltage.
    4. GPU voltage set to "-100 mV" for each card.
    5. Start mining.
    6. If some freezes or hangs or "driver restored" messages, rise GPU voltage a bit (from "-100 mV") and check again till you find stable voltage.

Notes
    You can try to lower GPU voltage with Strixx even more. Both my cards become unstable on this, but maybe you'll be more lucky.

Main changes
    1. Clocks 1125/2080 tuned to keep GPU and mem controller load maxxed.
    2. Cooler profile - unmodified
    3. P0 state changed from 800 to 850 mV to make card undervoltable.

Finally I got 29.3 Mh stable (dual mining not tested), 0.887 V on GPU, low temps, low RPM, low noise.

• hankzetankhankzetank Sweden Member Posts: 53
    Jukebox said:

does that mean you dont need to sign the atikmdag.sys ?

does that mean you dont need to sign the atikmdag.sys ?

Yes. As I said before, problem only with clean driver installation or update with modified BIOS. But you can switch BIOS jumper to unmodified for driver installation and switch back after it.
  • stevie_8368stevie_8368 Member Posts: 22
    Hi Jukebox have flashed your bios rom to my sapphire nitro 8g oc cards and mining at 29.360 with 5 cards for last 4 hours with no problems so wanted to say thanks very much for your hard work and for sharing,i have 4 xfx GTR rx480 8G and 1 xfx GTR black edition rx480 8G essentially same xfx card with higher clock speeds,is it possible to use your modded sapphire bios rom on these cards?
    @Jukebox your bios worked great. Get 29.3Mh/s 77W on gpu-z 0.9125V.
    Flashed the same settings with 850mV on idle my rx480 8GB MSI Gaming X get the same speed but high power 118W and 1.0375V on gpuz. Looks like the msi also have some kind of voltage lock :-/
    Gave the same clocks to my rx 470 4GB ref and got 28.3 Mh/s :)
    Hi hankzetank can u tell me if you just copied settings from sapphire rom to your msi gaming x rom or did you flash sapphire rom to your msi gaming x? i am new to flashing gpu bios so needing some advice thanks

Hi hankzetank can u tell me if you just copied settings from sapphire rom to your msi gaming x rom or did you flash sapphire rom to your msi gaming x? i am new to flashing gpu bios so needing some advice thanks

Hi
    I copied them by having 2 polaris editor open, if you flash sapphire bios to a msi you will brick your gpu.

i have 4 xfx GTR rx480 8G and 1 xfx GTR black edition rx480 8G essentially same xfx card with higher clock speeds,is it possible to use your modded sapphire bios rom on these cards?

Don't do it, 99% that you brick your XFX.

@Jukebox your bios worked great. Get 29.3Mh/s 77W on gpu-z 0.9125V.
    Flashed the same settings with 850mV on idle my rx480 8GB MSI Gaming X get the same speed but high power 118W and 1.0375V on gpuz. Looks like the msi also have some kind of voltage lock :-/
    Gave the same clocks to my rx 470 4GB ref and got 28.3 Mh/s :)

Try to tune voltage with MSI AB or Sapphire Trixx tools.
    Possible voltage drop depends on ASIC quality of each card.

Trying to squeeze a bit more.

V3.png 42.7K
    ok thanks guys i will wait for a suitable bios rom for xfx GTR cards
    Great work jukebox