The correct way of powering the risers for the 470/480

adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
Unfortunately the PCIe Slot power is at least 5Amps or so for the 470/480. Some of the 6 pin 480 even use much more than 5 Amps. You can't power too many of them with the daisy chain Molex and especially the SATA connectors. Even the 8 pin 470s draw around 5 Amps from the slot.

If you have the space, best would be to install NO MORE THAN 1 of your 470/480 directly onto the motherboard.

I would avoid using any SATA connectors to power any of the 470/480 GPUs. They draw at least 60 watts and those SATA connectors are generally used for hard drives which draw about 5 watts on average.

I wouldn't use any more than 1 of the Molex connectors to power any 470/480. Usually a PSU has 2 sets of these (6 molex in total) so you can power 2 GPUS from each seperate chain.

The best method would be as follows. Usually most PSUs have 2x 6+2pin on each chain such as follows.

You would plug in one of those to your 470/480 #1 connection and the other would always be unused. Since the length wouldn't reach the next card. So you would buy a PCIe extension cable such as below

Plug in the unused PCIe #2 connector to this extension and splice the other end +12V and GND directly onto your Risers power.

This way you could run any number of high power 480s and overclock them to the max and you would never have any melt since the PCIe has plenty of power and is a higher gauge.

Comments

• SashSash Member Posts: 56
    In the end with a decent PSU it all comes down to the wire connecting to a single 12 Volt rail that can deliver 100+ Amps.

Connecting it via the Sata to molex still goes back to the same 12v rail.

However someone else made a post about the flimsy sata connector compared to the molex.

• adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    The rails aren't the problem. Its that the molex, sata connections can't handle that much power in series.
  • madtummadtum Member Posts: 10
    You're right, I was looking for an adapter like that. Did you find them on ebay?
  • MARETH2MARETH2 Member Posts: 35
    What about RX480 Nitro, which has 8-pin power connector. Should I still avoid using sata connectors for powering my USB risers?
  • CalivetCalivet Member Posts: 194 ✭✭
    @adaseb have you personally tried this? If so for how long?
    Calivet said:

@adaseb have you personally tried this? If so for how long?

Since litecoin mining days pretty much... Except I didn't use the PCIe connector but the CPU EPS connector... just had to re-pin. Its the same except the +12V and GND is reversed.
    MARETH2 said:

What about RX480 Nitro, which has 8-pin power connector. Should I still avoid using sata connectors for powering my USB risers?

I don't have that card but the way that these cards are designed I think the power for the memory controller is taken from the PCIe slot not the 8 pin, so they all draw too much power whether 6 pin or 8 pin.

You should NEVER use the SATA connectors in my opinion. Use the MOLEX instead or plug it in directly into the motherboard.

madtum said:

You're right, I was looking for an adapter like that. Did you find them on ebay?

You can pretty much buy them anywhere search for " 6 pin PCIe extension" or visit your local microcenter.

Or if you have any of those KNC Jupiter miners, take it from them.

You can also easily build on yourself.
    adaseb said:

MARETH2 said:

I don't have that card but the way that these cards are designed I think the power for the memory controller is taken from the PCIe slot not the 8 pin, so they all draw too much power whether 6 pin or 8 pin.

You should NEVER use the SATA connectors in my opinion. Use the MOLEX instead or plug it in directly into the motherboard.

Hm, I have 6x RX480 Nitro cards and an EVGA G2 1300W PSU, which has only 5x 4pin-molex connectors.
    http://www.evga.com/products/Specs/PSU.aspx?pn=cca25c36-4310-421d-bff9-be6a5b7ac541

So how do you suggest that I should plug all 6 usb risers? I'm using these:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Best-quality-PCI-E-PCI-E-Express-1X-to-16X-Riser-Card-USB-3-0-Extender/32623069793.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.56.fWLKjs

I tried to look up for that 6-pin female to 4-pin molex adapter that you've posted the picture in the first post, but I can't seem to find them anywhere.
    MARETH2 said:

adaseb said:

MARETH2 said:

Hm, I have 6x RX480 Nitro cards and an EVGA G2 1300W PSU, which has only 5x 4pin-molex connectors.
    http://www.evga.com/products/Specs/PSU.aspx?pn=cca25c36-4310-421d-bff9-be6a5b7ac541

So how do you suggest that I should plug all 6 usb risers? I'm using these:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Best-quality-PCI-E-PCI-E-Express-1X-to-16X-Riser-Card-USB-3-0-Extender/32623069793.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.56.fWLKjs

I tried to look up for that 6-pin female to 4-pin molex adapter that you've posted the picture in the first post, but I can't seem to find them anywhere.
    If it has 5x molex connectors are all of those 5 in series? If so don't plug in any more than 1 Riser that way.

You can't buy that adapter that I drew above with paint, you need to custom make it youreself.

It has 2 cables - 3x molex on one and 2x molex on the other one.
    Building that custom adapter is not an option.

What about if I use standard unpowred ribbon risers?

MARETH2 said:

It has 2 cables - 3x molex on one and 2x molex on the other one.
    Building that custom adapter is not an option.

What about if I use standard unpowred ribbon risers?

If its 2 cables then you can use those to power 2 of them.

You can use unpowered but you can't use more than 1 per motherboard. Since the power will come from the motherboards +12V connection.
  • Zorg33Zorg33 Member Posts: 220 ✭✭
    Nice tutorial.
    More advanced version is to split one 6pin to 3 molex 12v line.
    So you can take the 12v from one 6pin connector to feed 3 molexs and not only one.
    Zorg33 said:

Nice tutorial.
    More advanced version is to split one 6pin to 3 molex 12v line.
    So you can take the 12v from one 6pin connector to feed 3 molexs and not only one.

That's a pretty good idea also. However it depends on what type of PSU one has. Some like the Corsair 750 have 4 seperate wires for each PCIe 6+2 connector, so for that one it would be beneficial because you could power 3 GPUs and their risers using all 4 of the PCIe connectors. However most modular PSUs usually have the 2x6+2pin connectors on the same plug, and the length isn't long enough to reach the next card so it would get unused.

• TruthchanterTruthchanter Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    This thread is interesting but i don't see a clear easy solution...

How sure are you that 1 sata cable like this pic

can't safely power multiple risers for 480s if the 480s are undervolted?
    I was wondering the same thing, because I saw quite a few rigs on this forum, where people are using powered usb risers with those sata cables. (one sata cable per one riser ofc)
    No it still uses too much power
  • BiodomBiodom Member Posts: 693 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Did you get this data with a clamp, I presume?
    So, what is the power distribution (in watts) for Sapphire 470 Nitro+, OC reference 470 (platinum) or MSI 470 gamingX 4gb?
    edited September 2016
    adaseb said:

No it still uses too much power

So what you're basically saying, is that there is no way to properly build a 6x RX 480 rig without using those PCI-E to molex adapters, which can't be bought anywhere?
  • hasherhasher Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    I use 3 molex strings, powering 2 risers per string. Although I have a Corsair AX1200i PSU which has heaps of power connectors on the back.. Other people may not be able to do this. So far so good.. but i'm still a bit nervous. Although i've heard that non-ref 480s don't have the power problem as badly as the 6 pin ref cards..
  • imperialteximperialtex Member Posts: 100

This thread is interesting but i don't see a clear easy solution...

How sure are you that 1 sata cable like this pic

can't safely power multiple risers for 480s if the 480s are undervolted?

What's happend if i use this cable for usb miner ???
    I'm using 2 rx 480 red devil + 2 rx 480 ref + 2 rx 470 msi
  • LogicaluserLogicaluser Member Posts: 214 ✭✭
    Multiple Polaris cards on a single SATA strand is a disaster waiting to happen.
    Even powering a single Polaris GPU off SATA is exceeding what the SATA connector was designed to handle.

1 GPU per SATA strand with an undervolt will hopefully be safe, (I have some 470 setup this way) but this does mean that many PSUs can't handle more than 4 GPUs.

I've been doing mixed rigs for my +5 GPU rigs. say.... a pair of 280 or 380 with risers on a single SATA strand and then Polaris cards each with their own Molex or SATA strand for risers.

@adaseb where are you sourcing the +5v from for these bootleg adapters?
    I only know what it is for the MSI 4GB 470, I don't have any of the other cards but on Bitcointalk there was an individual who measured and he got around 4-5Amps on the PEG connector. There wasn't much difference between the 6 and 8 pin.

Tomshardware even got similar results from the Mainboard +12V connector.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-470,4703-6.html

You can power these risers anyway you like, however this is just a safety pre-caution.

• YogiYogi Member Posts: 147 ✭✭
    There are many many factors to consider when working with electricity and keeping things safe and I really like the suggestion of using 6pin to Molex! Thanks @adaseb
  • WoolingJumperWoolingJumper Member Posts: 32

Multiple Polaris cards on a single SATA strand is a disaster waiting to happen.
    Even powering a single Polaris GPU off SATA is exceeding what the SATA connector was designed to handle.

1 GPU per SATA strand with an undervolt will hopefully be safe, (I have some 470 setup this way) but this does mean that many PSUs can't handle more than 4 GPUs.

I've been doing mixed rigs for my +5 GPU rigs. say.... a pair of 280 or 380 with risers on a single SATA strand and then Polaris cards each with their own Molex or SATA strand for risers.

@adaseb where are you sourcing the +5v from for these bootleg adapters?

I absolutely agree. 1 riser on a single SATA string gets really hot, what more if you have two or three? I tried 3 risers once and I turned it off in just two minutes. Its a fire waiting to happen, these 480s (refs) are really drawing more power from the risers.
  • madtummadtum Member Posts: 10
    I burned a molex-connector on my psu because I had 3 480's connected. Later burned 4 sata cables. I'm now waiting for another psu to be delivered to spread the load.

Really crappy design by amd, this cannot be good for a logic board with a gaming setup of 2 480's in crossfire..
  • sukleesuklee Member Posts: 34
    What's a safe temperature for the SATA->Molex cables & plugs?

I just set up a rig w/ 4x RX470 Nitro's, each card on its own SATA power cable > Molex. (I have run out of molex-only power cables but will order more)

Flashed to a custom ROM and started monitoring the temps with IR thermometer as I mine. The power plug area (where Molex plugs into the risers) went from:

28.5C (idle) to 37.5C (Eth only)
    28.5C (idle) to 40C (dual mining)
  • Zorg33Zorg33 Member Posts: 220 ✭✭
    it's ok up to about 60C
  • sukleesuklee Member Posts: 34
    While dual mining the SATA > Molex adapter cables are up to 41C, and the SATA connector was 45C, almost hot to the touch. Have disabled dual mining and will see if any cooler. Really need to order more Molex power cables!
  • cvekscveks Member Posts: 62
    can someone post links to these adapters on aliexpress,ebay or amazon, from which we can power PCI-E Molex Extender via PCI-E GPU connector ?