Bricked your RX 480 due to bad flash?

Comments

• cscheatcscheat Member Posts: 147 ✭✭
    edited November 2016
  • AbcedarianAbcedarian Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
    Crap. I have bricked a MSI RX470 4g and there seems to not be an option to boot from IPGU on TB85.

Any way around that?
  • MegaDeivsMegaDeivs Member Posts: 2
    damacna said:

Hi everyone, I need help identifying pins 1 and 8 of my graphics card and it is a RADEON RX 470 4G GDDR5 PCI-E. I tried using the post example but it did not work. Thanks!!!

At first, You need to check your bios chip pinout. For example PM25lq020 it is 1 and 5 pins based to picture...
  • dddrgonzooodddrgonzooo Member Posts: 145 ✭✭
    @CALIGVLA Thanks - this thread saved my butt! I almost always flash one card at a time but got lazy and brick. Followed your instructions and I'm back in business.
  • Zek247Zek247 Las vegas NVMember Posts: 28
    Hi i bricked my rx 480 i did the 1-8 but windows get stuck on logo... win 7 btw, help pls
  • gmzombiegmzombie Member Posts: 21
    edited May 2017
    I'm also stuck
    Hans said:

Guys im stuck in fail mode, please help.

I'm also stuck here. I removed the clip and it still gives the can't read from error. I have a xfx radeon 470 4gb Samsung card.
  • MegaDeivsMegaDeivs Member Posts: 2
    gmzombie said:

I'm also stuck

Try flash With ATiWinFlash.exe (GUi based) (atiflash_274_WIN.zip)

Paperclip must be removed.
  • minero290fullminero290full Member Posts: 3
    @CALIGVLA Genius Genius Genius Genius of the life!!
    THX man! send me you ethereum wallet please!
  • papi92papi92 Member Posts: 2
    It works on Sapphire Pulse RX580 4GB! Thank you!

Pins are 1 and 5.
  • jaitomixjaitomix Member Posts: 4
    Thank you

It worked perfectly on a Sapphire Rx 480 4gb (Samsung)
  • mbeh4shmbeh4sh Member Posts: 15
    An Rx 470 inserted in PCI-E x16 slot giving me a black screen if PEG is set in BIOS.
    If I select IPG, then windows boots and I can see Rx 470 in device manager. I've tried to atiflash back to stock. If then change it back to PEG windows don't boot. It's the same with riser (PCI set to GEN1).

I have 5 working cards on my rig at the moment, if I connect the last Rx 470 windows don't boot.
    Could I connect the last Rx 470 and use 8 + 1 pin on boot while the other cards are connected with risers ? I don't want to move or disconnect riser or change settings in bios for now.....I've been struggling getting all to work so don't want to mess things up again.

I don't know if my cards is bricked ?

• Hytech2kHytech2k Member Posts: 130 ✭✭
    mbeh4sh said:

An Rx 470 inserted in PCI-E x16 slot giving me a black screen if PEG is set in BIOS.
    If I select IPG, then windows boots and I can see Rx 470 in device manager. I've tried to atiflash back to stock. If then change it back to PEG windows don't boot. It's the same with riser (PCI set to GEN1).

I have 5 working cards on my rig at the moment, if I connect the last Rx 470 windows don't boot.
    Could I connect the last Rx 470 and use 8 + 1 pin on boot while the other cards are connected with risers ? I don't want to move or disconnect riser or change settings in bios for now.....I've been struggling getting all to work so don't want to mess things up again.

I don't know if my cards is bricked ?

Install it in a separate PC and see if it boots up and shows the screen properly... Just a thought..

Hytech2k
  • dragonmikedragonmike Member Posts: 17
    One of my Asus RX 570 Expedition OC is properly bricked it seems. Windows won't boot if the card's plugged in. Tried 1+8 but no luck... Any ideas?
  • JustCauseJustCause Member Posts: 29
    gmzombie said:

I'm also stuck

Hans said:

Guys im stuck in fail mode, please help.

I'm also stuck here. I removed the clip and it still gives the can't read from error. I have a xfx radeon 470 4gb Samsung card.
    Hi there,

i had same issue as you guys, and trick was that i removed only one side of paper clip :D Be sure to remove both sides od paperclip, then run atiflash and you should be able to flash it with new bios.
  • HammereditorHammereditor Member Posts: 19
    Thank you so much OP and Muzzy, you saved my ass tonight! I thought my Sapphire RX480 Nitro 4GB was dead, a card which sells for $350+ right now.

Instead of using a paperclip I used a pair of forceps.
  • wakaflockasywakaflockasy Member Posts: 4
    I literally just made this account to verify that this works. I am new to mining and thought I bricked my RX 470 4 GB yesterday and was freaking out. I tried this (I was very weary at first, I thought I was going to get electrocuted or start a fire and die), and it worked. Have your stock rom ready to go.

I used masking tape and bent a paper clip in order to touch the two metal parts on the chip together.

I have a H81 BTC motherboard and booted into BIOS (press F2). I booted from the on-board graphics (Under CHIPSET or something like that) with the bricked GPU attached, flashed the stock rom successfully (thank God), rebooted into BIOS, switched over to boot from PCI and voila!

Seriously I was freaking the f**k out and looking for resources for many hours. If you have any questions feel free to shoot it over.
  • brianale96brianale96 Member Posts: 4
    I need help, try to make BIOS MOD to my RX 480 8GB ASUS STRIX, and after trying several Bios MOD to lower the temperature, I stop working. He does not recognize it on any motherboard and I'm already worried. It's new bought by Amazon.com, only use it for about 20 days
  • TjiuZTjiuZ Member Posts: 6
    edited July 2017
    where the pin for 580 pulse ?

This my pcb

Post edited by TjiuZ on
  • gnukleusgnukleus Member Posts: 1
    cscheat said:

Hi @damacna

see this

That setup saved my GPU yesterday. Thanks
  • vilgusvilgus Member Posts: 2
    If you have "failed to read ROM" error when trying to flash your GPU BIOS the solution may be as follows. Try to start a miner (to create some load on GPU) and check if you can flash you GPU while it is mining. At least one guy reported it worked and the error had gone in this thread:

https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/10152/bricked-my-480-cards-with-atiflash-error-0fl01

The reason you cant flash your GPU BIOS (failed to read ROM error) can be in the following. If you have more than one GPU card installed (or even only one) - the ones not used at the moment may go into a power save state. This is called ULPS - ultra low power state and can be disabled in the Windows registry (probably some utilities can do it as well). Just check Google for disabling ULPS. Once you make appropriate changes in the Windows registry - reboot your PC and try to flash GPU BIOS again.
  • lotfiwholotfiwho Member Posts: 1
    hello friends how it works with 7950 vappor x 3gb - - bad flash and no addapter found any help guys
  • robert95robert95 Member Posts: 1
    Hello guys, sadly i bricked my rx 580 (specific model is Gigabyte rx 580 gaming 8g), i wanted to confirm that the bios chip is the one that has a 3 painted on it in this picture: Would the 1 and 8 pin be the same as the OP?

• djidourdjidour Member Posts: 1
    plz i have 1060 gigabyte where do i find her؟
  • pass75pass75 Member Posts: 1
    Thank you guy! You saved my butt. I confirm it worked with my Sapphire RX 550 Pulse 2GB. I just want to notice I had to remove the electrical bridge 1-8 after the postscreen and before Windows boot because I could flash the backup rom successfully.
  • BeNkA16BeNkA16 Member Posts: 4
    Hey!
    Have a RX570 4 GB (MSI OC version) here from a friend who started mining last year. He bricked the gpu due to wrong bios flash. See picture bellow (RX570 is gpu 0), i flashed with atiflash in cmd (actually several ROMs) the original ROM which i got by serialnumber from MSI.
    But after installing the driver (also tested several versions on win7 64bit and win10 64bit) windows won't boot with the pluged RX570. I have to remove it and let the other card (rx 560) run alone to get back into windows. ->To go into windows with the RX570 i have to uninstall the driver... Do i need to run atikmdag even if the bios is stock from MSI?

Any other suggestions?

Best, Benedikt
  • merlinthemagicmerlinthemagic Member Posts: 4
    RX580 cards. I unbricked my Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB card by shorting the 2 pins in this image. Before they where shorted (stripped a piece of stranded wire and twisted it around PIn 1 and Pin 8) the card would not show up in windows at all. After i shorted i was able to use ATIWinFlash to flash the original BIOS.

Then i removed the short. and rebooted. The card was acting funny (likely because i kept the short in place while flashing it) and ATIWinFlash did not show the current BIOS, so i flashed it again, rebooted and everything was back to normal.

• Gab81Gab81 Member Posts: 10
    I've tryed this solution, and windows run fine but atiflash don't found the graphic adapter. I've one MSI RX470 Gaming X, and mount one Winbond w25x40cl bios chip. Anyone can help me?
  • DChris014DChris014 Member Posts: 5
    Soooooo. I have a Gigabyte Radeon RX580 8gb. Where is the 1 and 8 pin because it’s not the same as the 470. Is it possible to use the atiwinflash shortcut on the desktop to access the card?
  • ExpertMinerExpertMiner Member Posts: 14
    I found this in dept guide from some guy on Anorak, how to tune your GPUs for max hashrate and low voltage. It fixed my 580's from 24mh/s to 30mh/s

It's a really big and detail guide, check it out. I'm sure it would help if you go through it.

https://mining.help/