Boysie's RX480 (REF) BIOS 29MH LOW PWR - ETH OR DUAL Mining

Comments

• CoreolCoreol Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    has anyone done something similar to non reference cards like the XFX RX480 GTR (Black Edition)?
  • h311m4nh311m4n Member Posts: 30
    edited September 2016
    Heliox said:

That's because i added VDDC offset. :)

Can I ask how much you offset? I tried a -100mv offset and just changed the memory timings. It was stable at around 27Mh/s, rest was left to default settings. It was stable at around 27Mh/s but haven't figured out how to get as low as 75W/card...

Please please please a million times share your rom :smiley:
  • h311m4nh311m4n Member Posts: 30
    zxspr said:

Boysie, thanks a lot for what you're doing!
    Fellows, please advise: what will be to warranty if BIOS is changed like that? Will it stand?

If you need to send the card back in, just reflash it with your stock Bios, warranty will be fine.
  • akaloithakaloith Member Posts: 14
    edited September 2016

memory voltage to 890. Am i ok? Using low-pwr-29MH-Boysie.rom
  • TruthchanterTruthchanter Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    akaloith said:

memory voltage to 890. Am i ok? Using low-pwr-29MH-Boysie.rom

Looks good, if you wanna squeeze out a little more, you could either OC core to 1111 and mem to 2125 or try setting core + mem controller voltage to ~880
    edited September 2016
    1)core 1111 mem 2125 at what voltage?
    2)core 1095 mem 2080 both at 880?
    the above will keep 29mhash 67watt ?
    the above with low-pwr-29MH-Boysie.rom using wattman?
  • zorvalthzorvalth Member Posts: 174
    if you overcloxk to 2125 check your hash in 20 mins, there is a slow mh leak on my card on 2125.
  • fredeqfredeq Member Posts: 42
    Gj on this, looks sweet :smile:

Couple questions if someone could help:
    This is only possible for reference cards for some reason?
    Anything like this exists for non-reference ones?
    fredeq said:

each card has its own bios. all reference cards are the same so they use one bios (rx480 8gb). any different card needs other bios
  • fredeqfredeq Member Posts: 42
    I get it, so nothing out in the public yet.
    I am not sure about buying reference cards, they have a bit lower resale value.
    Also I cant find any 4GB refs in my country, and 8GB are more expensive than non-reference 4GB :sweat_smile:
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    akaloith said:

fredeq said:

each card has its own bios. all reference cards are the same so they use one bios (rx480 8gb). any different card needs other bios
    That's not completely true.

And can everyone please stop using the phrase: Memory Voltage

To clarifiy this again.
    There is no such thing as memory voltage on Polaris.

It's VDDCI/AUX, the I/O bus voltage (between memory and GPU core).

On Fiji there is MVDDC (Pure Memory Voltage).

So those stories about lowering "memory voltage" has no effect at all, basically if you lower the voltage part under memory in polaris editor you are doing nothing. It has no effect.

It has effect when you mod it into the rom like i've recently done. (screenshot)
    (yes, i will release something new later this week)

Greetings
  • MetzMetz Member Posts: 126 ✭✭
    @Heliox looking forward to the next instalment of LowPwr RX ROMs with some tweaked VDDCI/AUX settings :smile:
  • SashSash Member Posts: 56
    edited September 2016
    @boysie @Heliox What's the latest version of the low power dual miner bios to achive 29 or 30 mh/s?

I've noticed in another thread you guys talked about the -offset to be set in the bios to make the voltage value more efficient and accurate rather than reading from wattman at a higher setting.

Metz said:

@Heliox looking forward to the next instalment of LowPwr RX ROMs with some tweaked VDDCI/AUX settings :smile:

First finishing off some projects/jobs and my own farm. After that i'll be sharing some new things.
    Sash said:

@boysie @Heliox What's the latest version of the low power dual miner bios to achive 29 or 30 mh/s?

I've noticed in another thread you guys talked about the -offset to be set in the bios to make the voltage value more efficient and accurate rather than reading from wattman at a higher setting.

Check my post above, that's my rom with VDDC and VDDCI offsets added.

Greetings
  • SashSash Member Posts: 56
    Heliox said:

Metz said:

First finishing off some projects/jobs and my own farm. After that i'll be sharing some new things.
    Sash said:

Check my post above, that's my rom with VDDC and VDDCI offsets added.

Greetings

I wonder if I can get any more out of these cards, dual mining with claymore.

mem voltage set to 816.

Heliox said:

akaloith said:

fredeq said:

That's not completely true.

And can everyone please stop using the phrase: Memory Voltage

To clarifiy this again.
    There is no such thing as memory voltage on Polaris.

It's VDDCI/AUX, the I/O bus voltage (between memory and GPU core).

On Fiji there is MVDDC (Pure Memory Voltage).

So those stories about lowering "memory voltage" has no effect at all, basically if you lower the voltage part under memory in polaris editor you are doing nothing. It has no effect.

It has effect when you mod it into the rom like i've recently done. (screenshot)
    (yes, i will release something new later this week)

Greetings
    Is there any app which can read current vddci? And increasing does it add something to the stabillity of the mem ?
    zorvalth said:

Is there any app which can read current vddci? And increasing does it add something to the stabillity of the mem ?

Watttool.
  • oakey22oakey22 Member Posts: 50
    edited September 2016
    How do you find the offset in the hex? Is it like a needle in a haystack or are there tell tale signs?
    oakey22 said:

How do you find the offset in the hex? Is it like a needle in a haystack or are there tell tale signs?

They're not there, you need to add them.. adding them is not just filling in some characters though.. lot's of other things to change and recalculate :)
    Heliox said:

zorvalth said:

Watttool.
    Which one is VDDCi? it should be VID i guess? When i set mem and core voltae to 1100 and then set -50 vddc offset, VOut and vddc are showing 1050 and VID is showing 1100. Is that right?
  • karl_den_12karl_den_12 Member Posts: 27
    hi, i got an xfx 480 8gb, i changed mem timings,display driver crashed.
  • Zorg33Zorg33 Member Posts: 220 ✭✭
    I discovered while struggling with gigabyte 470, that the only proper way to set up offset in WattTool is to set the VDDC and VDDCI to the same value and add a negative offset.
    The reason is that there are situations when the GPU is at higher DRM state and MEM is still in DRM0, and therefore the voltage would be too low for the GPU and it just hangs.
    So you have to keep the VDDC independent from the memory DRM state, so you must set VDDC and VDDCI the same value and give a negative offset that brings down the VDDC.

So for example my GB 470 4GB I use 1150 VDDC/VDDCI and -200mV offset. This gives 1150mV VDDCI and 950mV VDDC
    edited September 2016
    Zorg33 said:

I discovered while struggling with gigabyte 470, that the only proper way to set up offset in WattTool is to set the VDDC and VDDCI to the same value and add a negative offset.
    The reason is that there are situations when the GPU is at higher DRM state and MEM is still in DRM0, and therefore the voltage would be too low for the GPU and it just hangs.
    So you have to keep the VDDC independent from the memory DRM state, so you must set VDDC and VDDCI the same value and give a negative offset that brings down the VDDC.

So for example my GB 470 4GB I use 1150 VDDC/VDDCI and -200mV offset. This gives 1150mV VDDCI and 950mV VDDC

And can you clock the mem better then if you set vddci 1000 and vddc 1150? Because i thought the same as you but when i tried the max mem stable clock was exactly the same...
  • Zorg33Zorg33 Member Posts: 220 ✭✭
    It seems it differs from brand to brand.
    Gigabyte is definitely more stable at higher VDDCI. At 950mV max mem clock is 1850, and at 1150mV it is stable at 1950.
    That implicates that there is a tighter connection between MVDD and VDDCI on that card...?
    can you please tell me what settings i should change to wattman using this bios in order to play a game instead of mine?
    Has anyone tried this ROM with the 12.9.2 Driver?

I've updated my drivers and the atikmdag.sys is no longer in the .\sys32\drivers folder... well I am not prompted to overwrite the file.

akaloith said:

can you please tell me what settings i should change to wattman using this bios in order to play a game instead of mine?

Flash back to the stock ROM, WattMan has no real affect on this low power ROM as the changes are flashed onto the card.
    but you can change for example vram voltage. wattman has an effect on this rom. i just dont know which settings are used and which not.
  • josechudmjosechudm Member Posts: 63
    guys need some advice, im making a 2nd rig, and im new to this bios modding stuff, so im looking for a card with dual bios, according to what i had read here the 470 nitro and 480 nitro are both good options right?

I can find the 470 4 gb nitro for 217$ and the 480 4 gb nitro for 229$ which should i choose?
  • TruthchanterTruthchanter Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    Metz said:

Has anyone tried this ROM with the 12.9.2 Driver?

I've updated my drivers and the atikmdag.sys is no longer in the .\sys32\drivers folder... well I am not prompted to overwrite the file.

I went from like 16.8.2 to 16.9.2 and It didn't work until I installed 16.9.1.
    I have a feeling that 16.9.2 didn't install correctly though