Boysie's RX480 (REF) BIOS 29MH LOW PWR - ETH OR DUAL Mining

Comments

• lefferalganlefferalgan Member Posts: 21

Hi @boysie ,

If i use your Bios on my Gigabyte RX 480 (REF) and check on GPU-Z OpenCL is no more flagged, and if i launch ethminer or Clay it stop immediatly, do you have any suggestion?

Thx

I found the solution :)
  • johndonjohndon Member Posts: 2
    hi boysie,tkanks for your rom,it's great.
    i have a problem,my miner starts with 29M,but hours later,it will drop to 9M for serval mins,i check the log file,the temperture is ok ,about 70 ℃,and then back to 29M.
    would you please tell me how should i do to avoid it drop to 9M.
  • boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    johndon said:

i have a problem,my miner starts with 29M,but hours later,it will drop to 9M for serval mins,i check the log file,the temperture is ok ,about 70 ℃,and then back to 29M.

My guess is you have a sapphire or at least not an xfx which is what the base rom was from.

I have this reproduced and will work on it if I get some time today/tomorrow. watch out for some updates

although re reading what you are seeing is what I see if the cpu is busy doing something ...maybe check your cpu is not busy.
  • johndonjohndon Member Posts: 2
    boysie said:

johndon said:

My guess is you have a sapphire or at least not an xfx which is what the base rom was from.

I have this reproduced and will work on it if I get some time today/tomorrow. watch out for some updates

although re reading what you are seeing is what I see if the cpu is busy doing something ...maybe check your cpu is not busy.

mine is xfx 1338Mhz/8G, and my cpu is E3-1230V2,is not busy.
    system is win10 pro 14376.rs1_release.160624-1700.

also i have another problem,i mining with the XFX's factory rom,the memory controller road cannot up to 100%,is only 60-80,what should i do for this?

• Dr_House86Dr_House86 Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭
    @boysie

Thanks for the fine rom, it suits best for my needs.

I think i will upgrade all my cards ;)

Do you have a preferred stable wattman setting for this rom?
    edited September 2016

@boysie

Thanks for the fine rom, it suits best for my needs.

I think i will upgrade all my cards ;)

Do you have a preferred stable wattman setting for this rom?

You shouldn't need to change anything other then power for mem. The rest is set in the bios.
    johndon said:

boysie said:

johndon said:

also i have another problem,i mining with the XFX's factory rom,the memory controller road cannot up to 100%,is only 60-80,what should i do for this?

Sorry not sure what you are asking
  • TruthchanterTruthchanter Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    boysie said:

johndon said:

boysie said:

johndon said:

Sorry not sure what you are asking
    I can't remember what my gpuz usually shows for mem controller, core clock looks too low though?
    @boysie

I am at 910mv for the mem, seems stable ;)
  • EfterlysTEfterlysT Member Posts: 99
    edited September 2016
    Now running the "low-pwr-29MH-Boysie" roms in one of my rigs.
    Powerdraw at the wall: 680w for the whole rig (4 cards)
    Still over 150w per gpu from the wall

Not sure wth is going on here.
    Anyone got an idea ?

MSI reference 8Gb cards running on Win10
    EfterlysT said:

Anyone got an idea ?

Did U change the memory power? And when you flash U know it keeps the settings sometimes so U need to use reset. Give us a pic of wattman
  • EfterlysTEfterlysT Member Posts: 99
    boysie said:

EfterlysT said:

Anyone got an idea ?

Did U change the memory power? And when you flash U know it keeps the settings sometimes so U need to use reset. Give us a pic of wattman
    I reinstalled the driver so all settings where default.
    If i went manual voltage on the memory i could only choose 1000.
    Really strange.

And when letting them run for a while i got GPU errors making the miner to shut down.
    EfterlysT said:

boysie said:

EfterlysT said:

Anyone got an idea ?

I reinstalled the driver so all settings where default.
    If i went manual voltage on the memory i could only choose 1000.
    Really strange.

And when letting them run for a while i got GPU errors making the miner to shut down.
    Maybe try WattTool instead to change mem clock http://www.overclock.net/t/1609782/watttool-a-simple-tool-that-combines-wattman-with-vrm-monitoring-tweaking-for-rx-400-series
    edited September 2016
    @boysie

Now i run the rom on all rigs with the same settings from the bios.

Iam happy ;)

The cards run really cool
    Now the facts

5x Rx480 ref
    146,3-146,7mh/s eth
    1850-1950mh/s sia
    800-820w @ wall

Really nice^^
    Post edited by Dr_House86 on
  • FlexinFlexin FranceMember Posts: 45

@boysie

Now i run the rom on all rigs with the same settings from the bios.

Iam happy ;)

The cards run really cool
    Now the facts

5x Rx480 ref
    146,3-146,7mh/s eth
    1850-1850mh/s sia
    800-820w @ wall

Really nice^^

Really nice, can you test in ETH only and share results and power comsuption @Dr_House86 ?
    I will post tomorrow the results ;)
  • WoolingJumperWoolingJumper Member Posts: 32
    Will flash my rig tomorrow. Hope this can help me max out my 1000 watt PSU at the best hashrate while dual mining :)
    @Flexin
    Eth only is ca 100-150w lower then dual mining, depends on how much cards you run with one rig.
    @boysie sorry to ask and I know this may sound dumb. I am on test mode but whenever I try to flash my card with any 480 rom in this site I am getting a message saying "SubsystemID's mismatch" after hitting Program in ATIWinflash. What I have is a stock HIS RX480 8gb reference card.
    I also noticed I cant overwrite atikmdag file and says the file is open somewhere. I have rummaged the whole forum and most steps are leading to the same route for windows 10. I am sure I am following its just that its giving me a different result compared to others. Hell I cant even flash my cards. Am I the only one experiencing this? Anyone else using HIS reference cards?
  • ethermine_rocksethermine_rocks Member Posts: 228
    to replace atikmdag file I dont use safe mode, I simply rename the current one in the folder and then copy the modded one to drivers folder, no need to do anything else, after I enter bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS and press Enter. Then enter in cmd (admin mode) bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON and press Enter then I use the driver signing tool provided here somewhere on the forum, flash the card using atiflash tool provided in atiwinflash 2.74 folder with rom from again cmd (admin mode) using atiflash -f -p 0 romname.rom (replace romname.rom with actual name of the rom file, -f forces the flash so sbsystemID dont matter). Prior to flash reset radon settings, flash, then again reset settings, reboot after flash, reset settings (maybe no need to reset setting so many times but I dont really care its just a few clicks on mouse). If flash was ok after reboot you should have a new rom on your card. this works for me on win10.
  • nhandonhando Member Posts: 82
    I think I just brick my RX480 flashing a bad ROM. How do we revert back? I can't boot up with the card even individually
    nhando said:

I think I just brick my RX480 flashing a bad ROM. How do we revert back? I can't boot up with the card even individually

try using onboard video as primary and see if it will boot windows with the gpu plugged in
  • sukleesuklee Member Posts: 34

I also noticed I cant overwrite atikmdag file and says the file is open somewhere. I have rummaged the whole forum and most steps are leading to the same route for windows 10. I am sure I am following its just that its giving me a different result compared to others. Hell I cant even flash my cards. Am I the only one experiencing this? Anyone else using HIS reference cards?

I have HIS reference cards and will flash them soon. In the mean time these instructions helped me:

https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/comment/57060/#Comment_57060
  • cl4ud1ucl4ud1u Member Posts: 9
    edited September 2016
    Hello,

I have a MSI RX 480 8G. I flashed it with low-pwr-29MH-Boysie.rom and i get only 26MH/s and the power consumptiom from GPU-Z
    My settings are
    setx GPU_FORCE_64BIT_PTR 0
    setx GPU_MAX_HEAP_SIZE 100
    setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
    setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
    setx GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
    ethminer.exe -G -S eu1.ethpool.org:3333 -FS us1.ethpool.org:3333 -O ......
    pause

What did i do wrong ? Did i flash the card wrong ?
  • cvekscveks Member Posts: 62
    try to use atiflash from command prompt mode .

start command prompt with Administrator privileges than execute this

atiflash.exe -i

to see which port is your card located

than if its in main one type atiflash.exe -f -p 0

or if it is in second pci port than type atiflash.exe -f -p 1
    edited September 2016
    flashed like you said

and now i get this

• ethermine_rocksethermine_rocks Member Posts: 228
    reset wattman settings
    the same after reset.
    cl4ud1u said:

flashed like you said

and now i get this

damn, those results makes me want to stick with my stock bios lol jk. WIll try to flash later using cmd prompt, I think forcing it will do the trick. I'm just not good with cmd, it eats me alive lol thanks for all the feedback, will report later