ETHER TURNED INTO ETC. 1 ETH = 1 ETC ?? CAN ANYONE HELP?

Hello everyone - im having trouble with my ethereum wallet. Im not sure if this is the right place to be asking this question, so any help or redirection would be appreciated .
I was away when the fork was completed and hadnt updated my wallet for sometime. When i finally accessed it my ether was still intact. I sent the my remaining ether to poloniex and it was converted into etc. eg 1 ETH turned into 1 ETC. I had poloniex check the blockchain and they said that my wallet was converted into an ETC wallet. Any help would be amazing guys. Thankyou :)

Comments

• SkyStalkerSkyStalker Posts: 5
    ETH = Ethereum
    ETC = Ether Classic

"Converted into an ETC wallet" if I were a lawyer, I would translate that to you as "we have accidentally 'misplaced' your ETH with ETC (worthless junk)"

From what I've heard Poloniex is 10x sketchier than Coin Base. You might as well label all exchanges as bad because now they're all a central point of authority.

Get your friends into crypto, convince them they can buy drugs or a wife online, just to get them hooked. Or give them a Ethereum Miner, and have them pay you in cash what your Ethereum is worth (or just use ya imagination.)

Don't think I've ever heard that idea proposed before. But hopefully Poloneix isn't scamming you and this is just some confusion.

Your post doesn't really make sense though, and this is probably why no one has replied. Try re explaining using this new information I have given you :)
  • YogiYogi Posts: 147 ✭✭
    Sounds to me like you just need to download the latest wallet software and set it to ETH mode (or support fork option) make sure you have the full blockchain for the leatest version of the wallet software. All your ETH should still be in your wallet then. You can also check ETHERSCAN to see what your wallet contents are for both ETH and ETC.

Once you've confirmed you still have all your ETH in the updated wallet, re-send the funds to Poloniex.
  • bloc8888bloc8888 Posts: 5
    I have an even more basic question -- if my presale ETH is still sitting untouched, has it been essentially rendered worthless by the fork? Was it automatically converted into ETC?
  • YogiYogi Posts: 147 ✭✭
    bloc8888 said:

I have an even more basic question -- if my presale ETH is still sitting untouched, has it been essentially rendered worthless by the fork? Was it automatically converted into ETC?

The ETH Remains but you have gained some ETC on the forked chain. What you do with that ETC is up to you. I would do some reading however before getting into ETC.
  • bloc8888bloc8888 Posts: 5
    Wait, so I have both, I still have the ETH? And where is the ETC, how do I even access it?
  • smaksmak Posts: 26
    i dont get it, you sent your old eth wallet balance to a new polo eth address and they received it as etc?

or did you send to an old eth address from polo.. in which case thats very lucky of you and nice of polo to keep on hand.

until you do a bit more research tho i'd probably avoid trying to use crypto if you're concerned about making costly errors.