• TruthchanterTruthchanter Posts: 549Member ✭✭✭
    boysie said:

@boysie bro i flashed your rom the 31.5 and the 31.25
    both start good with 0 shares
    then the speed down to 25 ~ 28 with shares
    the mining speed is not stable
    i run claymore Eth only into Sapphire amd Rx 480 8GB
    any ideas ?
    other question for xfx rx 480 , they good with u at 31.25 all the time ?
    i can get them cheap specially the black GT edition
    thanks bro

I have the same issue on my 2 sapphires....my thoughts are that sapphire have some thing in their own rom that requires their rom for sapphires. I will work on this this weekend if I can get some time.

If you back of the mem speed it should resolve temp until I have a chance to look at this.

I expect the xfx are bang on because I used a xfx rom as the starting point. so they fit well.

Boyise
    Ohh i think this happened to my sapphires too and i didn't realize it when I tried your bios. Heliox's worked for sapphire
  • boysieboysie Posts: 568Member ✭✭✭
    That's why I think there is some thing in the sapphire rom that helps sapphire cards, think he started with a sapphire rom where as I started with an xfx
  • cancan Posts: 5Member
    edited September 2016
    ethos user here, just flashed 3 Asus, 1 Sapphire, 2 MSI REF RX480 with boysie v2 Linux rom. Went from 147mhs with OC to 172mhs (28.7mhs/card). It now runs cooler too. ethos stock genoil, powertune 7.

update: crashed after 47mins due to one of the GPUs will investigate later. Rig stable with 5 GPUs 28.7mhs/card
    Post edited by can on
  • Sequoia93Sequoia93 Posts: 130Member
    @boysie What rpm are you referencing when you say "100%" and "50%" in your first post?

WattmOn sets the max rpm to 2200, but I can't keep temps low enough to prevent throttling at that speed. I can set it to 3600, and it runs steady at 75 degrees (if i set target to 75), it just gets loud.
  • GelbinGelbin Posts: 17Member
    Is any Rx rom will work on non ref Rx 480 cards ?
  • hope2907hope2907 Posts: 5Member
    I used WIN-RX480-31.25-Boysie-v2.rom for my HIS RX 480 IceQ X² Roaring OC 8GB, it worked fine for 5/6 card, but I have faced a problem one of my VGAs is keep slowly drop to 24Mhs after a few mins, i have checked with gpu z, memory controller load is drop from 100% to 80% after few mins, I have set fan speed to 100% but no help
    however BIOS 29MH LOW PWR worked fine for all of them
    Do you have any ideas how to fix it @boysie
  • zorvalthzorvalth Posts: 174Member
    hope2907 said:

I used WIN-RX480-31.25-Boysie-v2.rom for my HIS RX 480 IceQ X² Roaring OC 8GB, it worked fine for 5/6 card, but I have faced a problem one of my VGAs is keep slowly drop to 24Mhs after a few mins, i have checked with gpu z, memory controller load is drop from 100% to 80% after few mins, I have set fan speed to 100% but no help

Your mem cant handle it, lower the clock of mem with 10-20-25 whatever it works.
    hope2907 said:

Might be a separate issue but when I use chrome remote desktop, one of the gpus temporarily drops 2-3mhs with my 470s
  • jstefanopjstefanop Posts: 42Member
    boysie said:

@boysie did we find out why folks are having issues with slowly leaking MH/s over time?

not yet....been away. will look at 470 oc nitro mod this weekend if I get time will slap a sapphire rom version on the sapphires 480s instead of a xfx version and see if that fixes it happening on them. they work fine at 31.25 but not at 31.5 and exhibit that issue. So I can repro it here just not sure why yet.

Boysie

Has to do with how the Polaris Architecture handles memory errors, which is much better than previous generations. In short the memory controller on these chips checks for errors on each call, and keeps sending the request when it detects an error, hence when you push the mem freq/voltage too far the memory speed slowly degrades as the errors pile on until it reaches an equilibrium for what the chips can handle at that speeds.

Previously you'd just get some sort of segfault and it just would crash.

There is no "fixing it"...you just need to pull back the mem frequency/voltage.

BTW I see some of you guys posting BIOSes that have the core voltage below memory voltage...this is no possible on this architecture as the mem controller voltage is fed off core voltage, so setting core voltage below that will have no effect IE vcore >= mcore.
  • HelioxHeliox Posts: 633Member, Moderator mod
    jstefanop said:

boysie said:

@boysie did we find out why folks are having issues with slowly leaking MH/s over time?

not yet....been away. will look at 470 oc nitro mod this weekend if I get time will slap a sapphire rom version on the sapphires 480s instead of a xfx version and see if that fixes it happening on them. they work fine at 31.25 but not at 31.5 and exhibit that issue. So I can repro it here just not sure why yet.

Boysie

Has to do with how the Polaris Architecture handles memory errors, which is much better than previous generations. In short the memory controller on these chips checks for errors on each call, and keeps sending the request when it detects an error, hence when you push the mem freq/voltage too far the memory speed slowly degrades as the errors pile on until it reaches an equilibrium for what the chips can handle at that speeds.

BTW I see some of you guys posting BIOSes that have the core voltage below memory voltage...this is no possible on this architecture as the mem controller voltage is fed off core voltage, so setting core voltage below that will have no effect IE vcore >= mcore.
    @jstefanop ,
    You're completely right about the error handling, i read about it and i've noticed it as well.

Further, about the mem controller voltage.

Explain this :). Memory at 2200 and vddc @ 0.862mV, this is however done with adding vddc offset in the rom.

I will add vddci to the rom as well and show you the difference ;)

Greetings!
  • goengoen Posts: 8Member
    thanks boysie,
    i will try these roms tomorow..
  • jstefanopjstefanop Posts: 42Member
    edited September 2016
    Heliox said:

@jstefanop ,
    You're completely right about the error handling, i read about it and i've noticed it as well.

Explain this :). Memory at 2200 and vddc @ 0.862mV, this is however done with adding vddc offset in the rom.

Greetings!

What voltage are you running memory controller at? Could be that with the offset just bypasses the mvdcc value and its still running at 863mv...in which case your lucky.

Should note that I'm talking about the reference cards...could be that the customs cards have a different PCB designs that allow for the controller and core to be set separately with offsets.
    @jstefanop

It's a ref ;)

Getting a bunch of non refs this week. Will perform the same mod and see how they react..

Anyhow, memory controller voltage / VDDCI is at 1volt, stock, lowered it to 900mV with no difference whatsoever.
    Hence the reason why i replied to your post in the first place :)

That doesn't change the fact that you're right though, i just couldn't really believe it, so i tested it, as you can see, and indeed, the memory controller functions the same as it does with fiji, although that it's closer to Hawaii regarding technical specs.
    edited September 2016
    Heliox said:

jstefanop said:

boysie said:

Boysie

@jstefanop ,

Greetings!
    I retryed my 480s with this almost exact setup I got the same hashrate but my gpuz watts was about 72.5w eth only, although my vddc was just a bit higher at 0.8675mv... I don't think the ~0.005mv makes 7.5w difference!! What is going on here to give you such a lower wattage? @Heliox

BTW did you ever see what you could get with the ref 470 4gbs?
    @Truthchanter

Hey, nothing special mate, it's probably just the card that operates better on a lower vid..

No i haven't had time to work on the 470.
    I should.. i know..

Greetings!
  • MarlynNevesMarlynNeves Posts: 55Member
    @boysie You think I should buy a Red Devil or a ref model?
  • ZiljZilj Posts: 61Member
    Hey guys, I'm only getting 90% memory controller load at any settings, is this a setting I am missing in the mining start file? running Windows 10 + claymore dual miner.
  • marvykkiomarvykkio Posts: 17Member
    edited September 2016
    Hi guys, there is a detailed guide uncomplicated to flash the rom 31.25
    Rx for 480 8GB Ref.?
    Sequoia93 said:

@boysie What rpm are you referencing when you say "100%" and "50%" in your first post?

WattmOn sets the max rpm to 2200, but I can't keep temps low enough to prevent throttling at that speed. I can set it to 3600, and it runs steady at 75 degrees (if i set target to 75), it just gets loud.

output from claymore
    ShawnY said:

@boysie @oakey22

I have finally got all 6 cards running on 31.25 Boysie Rom :)

Only adjustment made is 950mv on Mem for all 6cards. Single mining Eth only.

910W @ Wall

oakey22 said:

I have gone back to single mining ETH as the rates are up and down like a hookers draws. Getting around 30 for each card single mining and pretty stable.

Your cards is reference?
    New to flashing cards, I must be missing something, individual cards work fine, as soon as I have 1 or more, crashing occurs, this is my process.

Saved original Bios from each card >using the aticonfig -f -p in command prompt, reboot computer after flashing all 6, go into Wattman and reset each card.

Am I supposed to be doing anything else?
    Zilj said:

New to flashing cards, I must be missing something, individual cards work fine, as soon as I have 1 or more, crashing occurs, this is my process.

Saved original Bios from each card >using the aticonfig -f -p in command prompt, reboot computer after flashing all 6, go into Wattman and reset each card.

your cards reference? maybe try setting custom clocks/volts in wattman or WattTool

Zilj said:

your cards reference? maybe try setting custom clocks/volts in wattman or WattTool
    all reference cards yeah, 11x Asus and 1x XFX, I've managed to get 1 setup with 6 running stable after adjusting some of the values back a bit, the other setup with EXACTLY the same Rom's keep crashing even after lowering settings so still investigating there
  • indytimindytim Posts: 123Member
    edited September 2016
    So far, I'm a little disappointed with my results using the 31.25 @boyse ROM. I attempted to flash my Sapphire 8GB reference cards, but the SSID wasn't right. So I edited my saved bios, copying all Boyse's values over exactly. My rig is definitely improved - I'm seeing a very stable 27.1 to 27.6 across the 5 cards, with 341-346 Mh in SIA. For ETH only, it wasn't much better, 27.4 - 27.8 across the five cards.

I'm not seeing anything close to 31. I'm using default settings in Wattman, aside from the fans and temp controls.

Edit: But, my rig is definitely better since upon a crash from power outage or whatever, it starts back up and mines at the rates above (27.1-27.6). Without these ROMs, upon a crash the Wattman settings all reset, and if I'm not there in person to monitor and reconfigure in Wattman, all my cards run at 23-24 Mh/s.
    Post edited by indytim on
  • mikeminermikeminer Posts: 38Member
    indytim said:

So far, I'm a little disappointed with my results using the 31.25 @boyse ROM. I attempted to flash my Sapphire 8GB reference cards, but the SSID wasn't right. So I edited my saved bios, copying all Boyse's values over exactly. My rig is definitely improved - I'm seeing a very stable 27.1 to 27.6 across the 5 cards, with 341-346 Mh in SIA. For ETH only, it wasn't much better, 27.4 - 27.8 across the five cards.

I'm not seeing anything close to 31. I'm using default settings in Wattman, aside from the fans and temp controls.

Did you check and monitor if your cards is throttled? You do need to lower down your mV for both GPU and Memory else it will consumed too much wattage and make the cards run hotter. Couple with no so great cooling provided by reference cooler. It might cause throttled.
    edited September 2016
    mikeminer said:

indytim said:

Did you check and monitor if your cards is throttled? You do need to lower down your mV for both GPU and Memory else it will consumed too much wattage and make the cards run hotter. Couple with no so great cooling provided by reference cooler. It might cause throttled.
    I see occasional throttling where rates drop to 17-24 MHz. But typically the cards are running a stable 27.1 to 27.6.

If I reduce mem voltage at all, I get an immediate crash when I start mining.

I'm pretty certain that my method was flawed. I'm going to try Heliox' original 32MhOTB rom, see how that goes.
    edited September 2016
    I went back and flashed @Heliox 's original high power rom and it worked better. No issues flashing my Sapphire reference 8gb cards.

There is some throttling - my cards start at 30.8 - 31.4, but spread out from 28 - 31.x. That's with -dcri at 23. I don't have a wall meter on that rig so can't address power draw. But a nice improvement over stock. Thanks @Heliox

EDIT: My rig is crashing about every two hours, so edited the memclock from 2250 down to 2200. We'll see how that does. Currently getting about 30Mh/s, with -dcri at 23.
    Post edited by indytim on
  • BlazinBlazin Posts: 24Member
    edited September 2016
    @Boysie, who manufactured the memory in your RX 480s that can pull 31.25MH/s? You can see it in GPU-Z. My non-ref XFX card shows that it was made by Samsung. It doesn't take overclocks especially well. It's not terrible at 2150MHz, but I wish it could do better... :|
    @Blazin
    ref cards are Samsung. at least mine are