Boyise's RX480 (REF) BIOS V2 - DUAL Mining

Comments

• ShawnYShawnY Member Posts: 58
    What i did was dump my stock bios with PolarisEditor, change whatever settings that was on @boysie 's rom, save it and then flashed em all to my 6 cards, no issues :)
    Had managed to tune Memory power down to 925mv, currently 900W @wall, Eth only.

Still hitting close to 1030W when dual mining..

I should not let my psu run over its limit constantly yea? Using a single 1050W Platinium psu.
  • hasherhasher Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    @ShawnY could you kindly share your Red Devil rom? :)
    @hasher
    I am on Boysie's 31.15 Ref Rom and using reference 480s
  • hasherhasher Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    @shawny did you have to do the driver hack as well, or did it all work like a standard card?
  • boysieboysie Member Posts: 585 ✭✭✭
    ShawnY said:

Dual Mining on the above setting will put my rig at almost 1100W @ the wall, and I am on a single 1050W PSU, had to drop em down to single mining mode for now.

pulling 1100w at the wall is perfectly fine on a 1050w output PSU.
    hasher said:

Just a warning to anyone who wants to try this ROM.. don't flash it to your PowerColor RX 480 Red Devil. Once I successfully force flashed it to my card, I rebooted the machine, and the computer refused to boot with the card. The fans would turn on and off one by one too, like it was going haywire.

Lucky for me, I forced my mainboard bios to boot from my onboard intel GPU, and once in windows, it detected the card, but called it a standard VGA device.
    Atiflash amazingly was able to detect the card and I could flash the old ROM back onto the card. Everything works normally now.

I wont be playing with any more custom ROMs until someone makes one specific for the PowerColor cards.

@boysie why don't you grab the new official ROM that was released by PowerColor and take a look at it? You can download it at the link below.

https://www.techpowerup.com/225214/powercolor-outs-unlocked-bios-for-rx-480-red-devil

flashing the non ref card with a ref bios was not a good idea., glad you got it back though.

It wouldn't be right uploading a bios that I cant test myself. my latest v2 is on all my Ref 480s. and no issues for 19h dual mining so far.

Boysie
    boysie said:

ShawnY said:

Dual Mining on the above setting will put my rig at almost 1100W @ the wall, and I am on a single 1050W PSU, had to drop em down to single mining mode for now.

pulling 1100w at the wall is perfectly fine on a 1050w output PSU.
    alrighty! Running em 6cards at 186Mh / 2045sia @1150W at Wall.

• sennevbsennevb Member Posts: 103
    @boysie i put the values of your bios (bios editor) in wattmon and adjusted it just like yours..
    i get 22Mh (normally it does 24.8 stock) on red devils ..
    Is wattmon different then flashing the rom (yes i know you cant change TDP without flashing rom)?

with stock rom hashrate doesnt change when i alter the GPU or mem clock by a few 100 MHZ, wich i find weird
    yes BIOS has different RAM timings, the settings all on on wattmon wont help you get 30
  • sennevbsennevb Member Posts: 103
  • Zorg33Zorg33 Member Posts: 220 ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    What is the reason for slowly decreasing hashrate on my 480?
    The GPU is NOT throttling, the frequencies are rock solid, but the hashrate goes down slowly by 1-2% after I start the miner with your v2 BIOS.
    I guess it's caused by memory errors, that the card is trying to correct meanwhile, so it causes loss in performance.
    But it does not show a single invalid share, or any flaws in the log.

So is this the scenario when the memory is very close to the limit, but working still stable while successfully correcting the errors in memory operations..?

I am seeing this behaviour with your bios at 2200@950mV (I lowered the min memclk)

I would give some more voltage to the memory, but the problem is that it also raises the Vcore automatically..:(

Is there a workaround for that?
    I would like to give 975 for mem and 950 for GPU
    if you look on gpuz is the mem controller showing 100% or 80%...I think its got thermal protection on the mem as well as the core.

wattmon shows mem temp or some thing like that I expect its topping out and throttling it.

new heat pads and re working the heat sink can help here else its just to much for that card. This is why watercooling is so good.

Boysie
    so this would be even worse with custom cooler cards that has bare memory chips without cooling? (OK, airflow goes there, but no heatpads)
    and what you say means that mem is throttled by the mem controller and not by its clock speed.
    makes sense coz mem has only one state.
    VRM is not the RAM, it is the Voltage Regulator Module
    It is OK up to about 100C (under 95C for long term)
  • billcryptokidbillcryptokid Member Posts: 79
    @boysie any chance for a sapphire/msi rom? Im not sure how to edit the bios and dont feel comfy doing it. I saw a few cmd options on aitlfash but didnt want to fuck it up. Would love to have a 6785 rom to test.
  • Marvell9Marvell9 Member Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    @boysie yeah the sapphire nitro 4GB is in desparate need of a rom stock it only gets 21 mhs

@boysie any chance for a sapphire/msi rom? Im not sure how to edit the bios and dont feel comfy doing it. I saw a few cmd options on aitlfash but didnt want to fuck it up. Would love to have a 6785 rom to test.

I load these onto my ref sapphire 8GB and 4GB cards with no issues at all.

use ATIFLASH -f -p 0 file.rom

0 is the index of the card you want to flash and file.rom is the rom you are flashing.

Also I have no way to build a non ref rom, I'm looking at replacing my 390s so maybe I will end up with AIB's but ref is where the party is at for now.

whats a 6785 rom? link?
    Zorg33 said:

VRM is not the RAM, it is the Voltage Regulator Module
    It is OK up to about 100C (under 95C for long term)

that.

Not sure what else to check then, I've seen it happen on one of mine with v1 but it no longer happened with v2, its linked to the speed of the ram, the only option I can offer is a 2220 base clock for them cards to test.

Boysie
    My 480 does this even at 2200 memclk.
    I took it down to 2175 and it stopped.
    So my guess with the memory faults seems to be the issue.
    Raising the real mem voltage would be a solution.
    Maybe Im gonna check that later.
    The atom bios parser script tells where that is if i remember correctly.
  • oakey22oakey22 Member Posts: 50

812 watts at the wall.

I keep getting freezes from claymore when using this rom though. Happens anywhere from 1hr to 6 hrs of running. The system then hangs and have to physically reset the computer
    Black screen freeze is probably GPU
  • oakey22oakey22 Member Posts: 50
    Zorg33 said:

I am getting a black screen, might need to have a look at creating a ROM myself detuned a little but never done it before
    just raise Vcore in wattman (or in the BIOS)
    oakey22 said:

Zorg33 said:

I am getting a black screen, might need to have a look at creating a ROM myself detuned a little but never done it before
    just edit my rom and change the mem that says 2250 down to 2000 that way you can up tune until it works, the only down side is when wattman resets due to some problem it will pop back down to 2000 but at least you can use it to test what your card is capable off.

Boysie

edited August 2016
    still going strong

top 2 are 390s, bottom 2 are 480s

bottom one is test rig on 31.5 rom, this one previously showed the issue someone else saw with their hash dropping to 20-27 but with v2 it doesn't...not sure I can explain why.

here is the test rig4 gpuz

Post edited by boysie on
    edited August 2016
    also power:

this is a evga 850w P2 @ 230v with 2x 480s and the system (about 45w) note: the other 3 cards are on a 2nd PSU.

Taking the high reading of 390w

390 - 45 = 345w

345 /2 = 172.5w @ wall

172.5 / 0.94 = 162w @ card

Boysie

• Dr_House86Dr_House86 Member Posts: 565 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    @boysie

Now i run under 16.04 with your Linux rom.
    3x rx480 8GB powercolor ref

Eth: 27-30mh/s
    Sia: 270-320mh/s

Under 650w @ wall

Edit: after e few minutes it hangs complete.

Post edited by Dr_House86 on
  • Dr_House86Dr_House86 Member Posts: 565 ✭✭✭
    @boysie

I lowerded the memclock to 2200 and now it seems stable.
    But i only get 26-28mh/s eth on ubuntu, eth only and dual mining, makes no difference.