R9 390 Undervolting and Bios Optimizations

adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
edited August 2016 in Mining
Just wondering if there are any owners of the 390 that were successful in achieving efficiencies greater than 7W/MHS?

Going mostly by
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1465128.0

I managed to get 7.2W/MHS with my ASUS R9 390 STRIX at (1.03Volts - shown in GPU-z/MSI Afterburner) @ 1050/1500.

Going any higher on clockrate or lower on voltage freezes the system. So just wondering what combination everyone is using.

This is ETH solo. Not dual. This was done with a BIOS flash of a editted ROM file in HawaiiBiosReader and not in the MSI Afterburner software.

Would be nice to get 6W/MHS and I can get a bunch of these instead of the 470/480 since they are cheaper and hash faster.

Comments

• adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    UPDATE

Upon further tests I got

28.5MH/s using 190watts running at 1000/1500 using 0.984Volts
    So 6.66W/MHS.

Probably won't get any more efficient then this.

UPDATE AGAIN!!!

The best I could get was this

27.1MH/s using 170watts running at 950/1500 using 0.938V

So about ~ 6.3W/MHS.

• CalivetCalivet Member Posts: 194 ✭✭
    My five 390 are pulling 987 from the wall. I have a gold 1300 EVGA PSU. So 87% efficiency, 987 x .87 =858.69 858.69 - 100 (rough estimate of motherboard plus 8 120mm led fans, 5 watts a piece) = 758.69. 758.69/5= 151.738 watts per GPU. Or if I calculate 987-100= 887. 887/5 177.4 per GPU. Here are some screen shots of my Asus Strix 390. Hope that helps.

Here a pic of my asic quality for my asus

Here a pic of my bios

As you can see it is way undervolted. I had to add mV to it in AB to get the gpu to work.

• citronickcitronick Member Posts: 110
    did you try Heliox 390 mod.

on my stock MSI 390, -96mV, I could push 1040 core and 1125 mem to give me 30MHs per card.

but I still can't get to go under 1600w with 6 x GPU.

the 390s are very forgiving in under and over clocking -- but lousy in power consumption.

It is, however, the most powerful and stable card I have in my small ETH farm.

how I wish we have a card that is as powerful as 390 but using only Nano or RX480 power
    @Calivet

Looks like our cards are almost identical. Even the ASIC quality is exactly the same.

How stable has this been for you? Did downclocking the memory to 1300 actually do anything?

My HawaiiBiosReader is set to 1000 instead of 1050 and I'm running currently at 950/1500. Seems stable so far.
    citronick said:

did you try Heliox 390 mod.

on my stock MSI 390, -96mV, I could push 1040 core and 1125 mem to give me 30MHs per card.

but I still can't get to go under 1600w with 6 x GPU.

the 390s are very forgiving in under and over clocking -- but lousy in power consumption.

It is, however, the most powerful and stable card I have in my small ETH farm.

how I wish we have a card that is as powerful as 390 but using only Nano or RX480 power

I had the same consumption as you. Was actually going to return the card until I modified the bios in HawaiiBiosReader. Then the consumption dropped to an acceptable amount. You should try undervolting it even more than -96mV. Try to get it around 1V. You might have to run it slower however, like at 27MHs
    its been very stable. I think on the 390 memory is not that important. I can downclock it to like 1050 on the memory without affecting hashrate when solo mining. I leave it at 1250 to 1300 in dual mining. I have clocked it at 1100 in dual mining. Doesn't affect hash rate at all. After 6pm I switch to dual mining. (cheaper rate of electricity) At night it is also much cooler. I leave it til noon and switch back to solo mining. So I just leave my memory at 1250 to 1300.
    How much more watts does the dual mining use? What speed do you get for SIA ?
    edited August 2016
    I had to switch to solo mining to snap those photos for you lol. Im dual mining right now. Give me a min. Ill snap some photos for you
    Taking the difference with the VDDC Power In, it looks like it uses like 54watts extra per GPU to dual mine?
    yeah. it pulling 1240 at the wall.
    edited August 2016
    Calivet said:

yeah. it pulling 1240 at the wall.

Nice. Thanks for the info and screen shots. Seems like dual mining is worth it at those speeds.
  • sc0rpsc0rp Member Posts: 6
    Calivet, mind to share your rom ?
    Thanks in advance.
    @sc0rp what brand of 390 do you have? what is the asic quality? Not all 390's are the same.
    whats your asic quality? I have three of them. I will try to match the closes one.
    Will test it tomorrow , seems like i need to install Windows for it (GPU-Z).
    Everything is now running on Linux atm.
    What i'v seem so far is that there are 2 dif. kind of chipsets on the card (shows up when flashing).
    here's a screenshot of my msi which has a 75 asic quality. Also a screenshot of what i did to my rom bios. As you can see with a 75 asic quality I am able to use less volts per dpm table. That is why I ask for you asic quality. You have to adjust the voltage in the dpm tables 1-7. 0 is your default. The only dpm that really matters is dpm 7 the last table (where I have 1050) One important rule is that the dpm table before (whichever dpm table you are in) the voltage value in that table can't be greater than the table after it. For example If i plug in 1050 in my last table which is dpm 7. Dpm 6 cannot be greater than 1050. Otherwise it won't work. So it would be important to know what your default values are. There was a tool for that but I could not find it on the web. The download links were invalid. Also if your asic quality is lower than 70 it would need more voltage, so I would leave the default at 900 and start with 975, 1000, 1000, 1025, 1025, 1050, 1075. As an example. You would have to tweak it a little to find the right spot for your card. The voltage values in the DPM tables have to be divisible by 6.25. I will attach a list. Hope this helps. I would love to just give you my rom but it prob wont work for you like it worked for me. Hope this helps

Here is the voltage list.

Here'a a screenshot of the ASIC Q. i get.

@sc0rp here's a copy of my MSI rom. It should work with yours since we have the same asic quality. Please use at your own risk. (I am not liable for any damages you do to your card) although if you flash it properly via boot up (make a usb boot, add win 98 boot and atiflash with the mod rom then flash it that way) you should have little to worry about. You can use the winflash (the one that has a user interface) but I would not recommend it since so many things can go wrong. Please reset all you settings in afterburner or whichever OC tool you are using before you flash your gpu. With this rom, I am able to up my dcri to 40. Getting 27.5 for eth and 540 for sia. Hope it helps.
    It won't let me upload my rom. hmmmm
    pm me with your email. I'll email it to you
  • blocks4allblocks4all Member Posts: 34
    i have gigabyte R9 390 g1-gaming. how can i mod it to get 40mh/s or undervolt for power saving?
    @blocks4all I don't think you can get 40 mh. The most I have seen was done by @Heliox with his Sapphire Nitro 390. 36-39 Mh/s. I doubt that gigabyte could push that.
  • stuartstuart Member Posts: 10
    edited September 2016
    I am mining in Linux, but when I run Afterburner in Windows I can get over 31.5 Mh/s using -100 mv undervolt (to 1063), core clock of 1099, and mem clock of 1525 using xfx r9 390 with Claymore dual-mining Sia.

However, I'm not able to translate these afterburner settings into all the boxes in Hawaiibiosreader to make a usable rom. Can one of you advanced bios gurus kindly explain to us which boxes these numbers translate into so we can fixate these settings in an Ubuntu environment, please? Thank you in advance.
  • blocks4allblocks4all Member Posts: 34
    Calivet said:

@blocks4all I don't think you can get 40 mh. The most I have seen was done by @Heliox with his Sapphire Nitro 390. 36-39 Mh/s. I doubt that gigabyte could push that.

can i undervolt this cards? any mod settings?
  • boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭
    Calivet said:

It won't let me upload my rom. hmmmm

zip it, it should let you attach it.
  • billdjbilldj Member Posts: 2
    Is somewhere the rom made by @Heliox ? I'm having black screen problems with my sapphire r9 390 8gb nitro with win10. Perhaps it's bios
  • rmhrmh Member Posts: 410 ✭✭✭
    billdj said:

Is somewhere the rom made by @Heliox ? I'm having black screen problems with my sapphire r9 390 8gb nitro with win10. Perhaps it's bios

http://eliovp.com/uploads/Package.zip