Ethereum Classic POOL - Project Continues on the Original Chain

greenusergreenuser 50.8862°N 4.5537°WMember Posts: 439 ✭✭
edited July 2016 in Pool Discussion
For those wanting to pool mine on the Original Chain there is a pool

http://pool.ethereumclassic.com/#/
"Please do not upgrade to geth 1.4.10 before the hard fork. Mine with geth 1.4.9 and below until further notice that it's safe to upgrade".

You can read why... here https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/rejecting-today-s-hard-fork-the-ethereum-classic-project-continues-on-the-original-chain-here-s-why-1469038808

Comments

• workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    It's safe to use 1.4.10 now, on either chain, since none of the first 10 blocks after 1920000 attempted to force a 3-way split by adding the dao-hard-fork extradata field.
  • stdsetstdset Member Posts: 4
    Could you please create a pool with registration, where there's no need to have an Ethereum address. I think it's especially important now, in the beginning, because people who didn't use Ethereum before might be coming now to support you. Installing Ethereum client could be too much an obstacle for them.
  • dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    I still think it is safer, and more useful, to mine Expanse, if you are looking for "classic" Ethereum. Expanse is exchange listed, active development, didn't need to do the hard fork, etc. Maybe I'm missing something, but the minority ETH blockchain seems like a dead end to me.
    edited July 2016
    dlehenky said:

I still think it is safer, and more useful, to mine Expanse, if you are looking for "classic" Ethereum. Expanse is exchange listed, active development, didn't need to do the hard fork, etc. Maybe I'm missing something, but the minority ETH blockchain seems like a dead end to me.

As far as I understand, corret me if I'm wrong, Expanse is just a fork of Ethereum code, like Litecoin is a fork of Bitcoin code. If this is the case Expanse is irrelevant to the hard fork.

Let me express my view and ask several questions.
    If the hardfork succeeds and Ethereum stays alive, this precedent shows, that any guarantees provided by public blockchains can be violated. But why cryptocurrencies are so popular nowadays? Because people love those guarantees: guarantee of prespecified emission rate, guarantee of finite supply of tokens, guarantee of freedom from censorship. If only one of those guarantees doesn't hold, cryptocurrencies become less attractive, it takes some time to realize that maybe. But why other guarantees would hold if one of them was violated? Are you sure, that in several years a high authority won't decide that the economy needs more units of ether and another hardfork won't be performed? Now, why an investor would wait for that to happen if he understands that it's possible?
    Btw, here's a link to a very good article on the matter: https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/rejecting-today-s-hard-fork-the-ethereum-classic-project-continues-on-the-original-chain-here-s-why-1469038808
    Post edited by stdset on
    @stdset Obviously the Ethereum hard fork is irrelevant for Expanse, and that's what I said in my post. I totally disagree with you re: the precedence set by the hard fork. The precedence set, as far as I'm concerned, is that the Ethereum community chose to do the right thing and prevent a massive fraud. Before you bother arguing your point on the matter, save your breath, it's all been said over and over by many folks on both sides of this. Let's simply agree to disagree. We're both allowed to have our opinions. Peace. :)
  • greenusergreenuser 50.8862°N 4.5537°WMember Posts: 439 ✭✭
    This is what happens when you introduce derivatives.
    Fiat would not be in the state it is now if it were not for the derivatives that are needed to support the abandonment of fractional lending by the major banks.

Crypto broke away from that ideology.... but Ethereum-Fork changed the whole game again when it moved to protect its "own" derivative.
    At least we know... the safest way to profit from the increasing price is to pump & dump? Any future value is susceptible to manipulation by stakeholders? And we have to trust only 250 "validators" belonging to R3 Consortium when mining comes to an end early next year?
    @stdset thank you for reposting the link in my OP, it makes for good reading, straight from the hart of VB's bitcoin magazine too.

I have no affiliation with ClassicEthereum other than to mine it but it will will be an interesting project and I believe the miners will mine it until the cows come home after Ethereum-Fork switches to PoS.

Thank you VB, we now have a coin to mine pre and post Serenity.
    So the voting continues, only its now done with hashpower!
  • TermieTermie Member Posts: 130
    I´d decided to participate in this classic experiment, at least for the next few hours, cause it´s irresistible to see the "blocks found" value counting up such fast. B) But when these many "new" blocks will become "immatured" and "real" blocks in the end?
    @greenuser I maintain that, if you are disillusioned by the ETH hard fork, you'd be better off supporting Expanse. They've had a community voting mechanism, blockchain-based, in place since the beginning, i.e. it's not driven by the devs. It's is supported on a number of larger exchanges, including Poloniex. It's is a fork of the ETH github code, but they are free to take or leave whatever changes the mainline code makes, e.g. PoS, if that's what they decide, and I think they will. Since all changes are subject to the community voting mechanism, rather than the devs will, I doubt that a change to implement PoS would receive the necessary support. :) Just sayin'.
    Cool, Expanse always seem to be in the list of top 5 most profitable coins to mine. I must check it out sometime... Would be nice to hold a few.
    Also, merge mining is getting easyer all the time... Currently mining: Bitcoin, Namecion, Ethereum, Litecoin, Doge, Viacoin, Pesetacoin, Umbrella and Groestl,.. feathercoin as a backup option and am in the procsess of adding: Burst, Unobtainium and Syscoin. Wallets all over the show

So why not? The more the better, Sia got a leg up from ethereum this week i see.
    I'm still keen to keep a watchful eye on that Classic eth though.

I'm like a kid in a sweet shop

Exciting times! :p
    edited July 2016
    Termie said:

I´d decided to participate in this classic experiment, at least for the next few hours, cause it´s irresistible to see the "blocks found" value counting up such fast. B) But when these many "new" blocks will become "immatured" and "real" blocks in the end?

@Termie Can you post here of your experiences with EthClassic?

Once I have made my electric costs for this month i will mine with them for a while. Help keep the experiment alive. Maybe, they might go for merge mining Classic with Expanse? Who knows. It will take time for exchanges to sort this out too.

21st July 2016 @ Fork

Miners Online: 12
    Pool Hash Rate: 1.13 GH
    Pool Fee: 0.9%
    Last Block Found: 3 hours ago
    Network Difficulty: 12.813 T
    Network Hash Rate: 889.82 GH
    Blockchain Height: 1,920,165
    Current Round Variance: 98%

23rd July 2016... Today!

Miners Online: 10
    Pool Hash Rate: 1.21 GH
    Pool Fee: 0.9%
    Last Block Found: 2 minutes ago
    Network Difficulty: 372.095 G
    Network Hash Rate: 25.84 GH
    Blockchain Height: 1,930,200
    Current Round Variance: 29%

Pool hashrate still up and about 4% of network. Network hashrate down now that most people have upgraded to forked geth, Diff looks ideal.
  • ethermine_rocksethermine_rocks Member Posts: 228
    Well all this is cool and interesting. Looks like a vacation time from ethereum network and all the TH amounted there. But... @Termie is right... is there a reason that these blocks arent distributed further? This looks like a major issue. Reduced diif is great but what is the point if these blocks dont get distributed? Looks like a waste of electricity from this point.
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    I think "waste of electricity" is a perfect description of "Ethereum classic."
  • boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭
    now look what you have gone and done....https://poloniex.com/exchange#btc_etc
    edited July 2016
    @greenuser my experience was that I finished my first mining round very soon because I did not know that a special ETH Classic address was required for your pool. Not everyone is an expert and knows this, so you should refer new users to this necessity at your start page.

Now I have an ETH Classic address and start a second round, but not long-lasting. Just want to save a limited numbers of ETH Classic for the improbable case they will become collector's value in the future. :p

And my originally question is still unanswered -> when these many "new" blocks will become "immatured" and be payed as "real" blocks to your miners in the end? For me it looks like not one single miner earned any ETH Classic to his account since your pool launched?! Here a clearly statement is required soon from your side. I think that not very much miners will stay at your pool for days/weeks if they weren´t paid out promptly.

Also, I can watch repeated "Last share submitted: now", or "in 2 (3, 4...) seconds", and then my round share still stays at 0%. That happens always seconds after a new block was found. So is your pool "swallow" submitted shares?
    Post edited by Termie on
  • kilo17kilo17 Member Posts: 31
    I opened my pool back up.
    BTW- you need to start the payouts because none of your miners are getting paid
    ok as long this big payout issue isn´t cleared I unfortunately have to switch to epool.io. This ETH Classic pool seems to work without any problems.
    Termie said:

@greenuser my experience was that I finished my first mining round very soon because I did not know that a special ETH Classic address was required for your pool. Not everyone is an expert and knows this, so you should refer new users to this necessity at your start page..........

@Termie Why are you under the impression that I can affect what address regime Ethereum Classic pool has?

In my second post I clearly sad
    greenuser said:

This is what happens when you introduce derivatives..................

….....I have no affiliation with ClassicEthereum other than to mine it but it will be an interesting project and I believe the miners will mine it until the cows come home after Ethereum-Fork switches to PoS.

Thank you VB, we now have a coin to mine pre and post Serenity.

My OP was in response to this thread.
    https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/8394/non-forking-pools#latest

I do not own this pool, I just about manage to mine.

https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/comment/49681/#Comment_49681

This section is called Pool Discussion right?
    Maybe this forum should have an "Announcement" section as well as a "Discussion" section like at bitcointalk.org ?
    dlehenky said:

@stdset Obviously the Ethereum hard fork is irrelevant for Expanse

No, obviously Expanse is irrelevant to the Ethereum hard fork. Don't try to divert hashpower from the really important ETC to irrelevant altcoins.

I think now, when Poloniex listed Ethereum classic, it's quite probabe, that EthereumTheForked supporters will attempt to 51% attack ETC, therefore it's very important to make mining as user friendly as possible.
    Why am I here for instance? It's my 3'rd post at this forum. I'm here because Ethereum became a threat to the whole cryptocurrencies movement. And I'm willing to donate my modest hashpower to protect ETC. I'd prefer not to mess with installing a client. May I have a good&old mining pool where mined ETC accumulates in my account?
    So you suggest to mine directly to my Polo account? I beleive it's disadvantageous, because of several reasons. Just one of them: Polo may charge a fee for every deposit, and since all deposits are going to be small, the fee will constitute a major part of my income. Am I wrong?
  • bbcoinbbcoin Member Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    What is crazy that Poloniex rewarded it's users with matching balance of ETC.

Meaning if someone was holding 10k of ETH at the time of the fork. Poloniex gave them 10K of ETC for free to dump and create more Fee's. Honestly how can you create currency like that? Where did this come from?
    bbcoin said:

What is crazy that Poloniex rewarded it's users with matching balance of ETC.

Meaning if someone was holding 10k of ETH at the time of the fork. Poloniex gave them 10K of ETC for free to dump and create more Fee's. Honestly how can you create currency like that? Where did this come from?

Everybody who held ETH before the hardfork now have both ETH and ETC. It's not Polo who created ETC it's the hard fork. Polo just mirrored that fact into their user balances.
  • bbcoinbbcoin Member Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
    Gav Would ‏@gavofyork
    Upcoming #parity #ethereum classic client...

Is there a blockchain explorer up for Classic? And perhaps I'm mistaken, but can't you use parity 1.2.2 with the --homestead-dogmatic blockchain switch?
    I just received confirmation from Gav that parity 1.2.2 with "--homestead-dogmatic" does indeed support ETC. If fact, he said the parity 1.3 support is the same code, he just renamed "homestead-dogmatic" to "ethereum classic". :) He also said he had no idea the tweet would cause such a stir.
    Wow, i said it would be an interesting project, never a dull moment in the world of eth :#
  • SIRacer09SIRacer09 Member Posts: 246 ✭✭
    So, has anyone who is mining on this poolreceived a payout yet?
    edited July 2016
    SIRacer09 said:

I have that software on my pool at miningeth.com and the pool operator at http://pool.ethereumclassic.com does not have his payouts turned on. I would be very careful on that pool because he is getting a lot of hashpower and nobody is getting paid

BTW- it literally takes 5 minutes to set up the payouts and turn it on.
  • SIRacer09SIRacer09 Member Posts: 246 ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    kilo17 said:

SIRacer09 said:

I have that software on my pool at miningeth.com and the pool operator at http://pool.ethereumclassic.com does not have his payouts turned on. I would be very careful on that pool because he is getting a lot of hashpower and nobody is getting paid

BTW- it literally takes 5 minutes to set up the payouts and turn it on.
    So who is running this pool? Anyone reputable from here on the forums?
    The site is whoisguard protected. There are scam links on Reddit also about this pool