GTX1070 Linux installation and mining clue (Goodbye AMD, Welcome NVidia for miners)

Comments

• ShajirrShajirr Posts: 11Member
    edited July 2016
    work said:

Those numbers are extremely non-sense. For starters, if you can still get R9 290s (which I, and most other people can), they cost ~170€ including free shipping. Cost of a R9 290 =

Where?
    I checked locally and the cheapest was 385 eur for me
    I mean somewhere in Europe, if it is sold from USA the shipping cost would be over 100$

Post edited by Shajirr on
  • AmphAmph Posts: 106Member
    edited July 2016
    adaseb said:

You don't seem to understand basic supply and demand.

The 970 came out after the Litecoin bust. The supply and demand was leveled out at the time.

Right now there is more demand for GPUs and that's why some used old 7950 are still selling for $120USD and 480/1070 are sold out in stores.

If the hard fork fails in 3 days and 250,000 GPUs are added to eBay , Craigslist, Kijiji, etc then it will be a different story.

And it doesn't make a difference whether a "gamer" or "miner" buys your GPUs. A gamer will buy whatever is the best value for them.

Most gamers these days aren't PC gamers they are console gamers. The market isn't large enough to absorb this massive selling in such a short time. If you read the market reports for Nvidia and AMD GPU sales, it declines every single year because gamers are switching to consoles like PS4 and Xbox 1.

Think about it this way

If you buy a $190 R9 290 the most you can lose is $190
    If you buy a $450 Nvidia 1070 the most you can lose is $450

no don't agree, you will not lose $450 for a 1070, that's plain wrong

in fact i can still sell my two years old 970 at more than half of its price, i payed 360 euro at that time, i can still sell it for 210 euro(i'm going to sell it in a few days at this exact price, i've already a buyer)

so it seems that it is not me that it's not understanding...

also you sell to gamers, they do not care at alla about mining ethereum shit and hardfork

nvidia is more easy to sell to gamers than amd
    edited July 2016
    work said:

@Amph you're talking about during a mining boom!!!! Of course used GPUs are worth close to retail right now. I think you're missing the entire point... It's like you didn't even read adaseb's post.

no i understood perfectly, but as usual you guys don't follow me

like i've said above i can still sell my TWO years old 970 windforce for more than 60% of its ariginal value and it does not matter if currently they are still profitable, i'm selling to gamers they do not care about mining at all, they don't even know that it exist lol

the same will happpen for a 1070, i can bet what you want that i will be able to sell it at more than half of its value in two years from now, before volta come out
  • _javi__javi_ Posts: 24Member
    is the 1070 a good replacement for 7950s ? i have my rigs with 3x7950 on 850w psus. I dont want to burn the psu or pcie connectors :)
  • heandog69heandog69 Posts: 275Member
    this dude is crazy it costs nearly double the amd card?
    improved efficiency would roi the cost of my upgrade in 5 months
  • workwork Posts: 2,084Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sigh, Amph... it doesn't matter who you're selling to. When GPU mining boom isn't happening, everyone is selling to gamers. And a flooded GPU market is a flooded GPU market, no difference between nvidia and AMD, they both plummet in resale.

You're welcome to be blind if you want; you seem to just keep repeating the same thing about selling to gamers, with 0 experienfe reselling GPUs when a mining boom is over.

@_javi_ RX 480 is just as efficient after tuning. And it won't cost you an arm and a leg.
  • SmokyishSmokyish Posts: 203Member ✭✭
    work said:

@_javi_ RX 480 is just as efficient after tuning. And it won't cost you an arm and a leg.

31MH/s 480's running stable for days? Pics or it didn't happen! :wink:

Efficiency, yes, MH/Watt wise 480 might be better, and as for ROI, 480 will ROI earlier given the same parameters on electricity etc, not withstanding the possible increase in Eth value, 1070 can ROI earlier if the coin value increases greatly.
    edited July 2016
    work said:

Sigh, Amph... it doesn't matter who you're selling to. When GPU mining boom isn't happening, everyone is selling to gamers. And a flooded GPU market is a flooded GPU market, no difference between nvidia and AMD, they both plummet in resale.

You're welcome to be blind if you want; you seem to just keep repeating the same thing about selling to gamers, with 0 experienfe reselling GPUs when a mining boom is over.

i'm not blind, i have done this in the past MANY times and i always sold for a great price, i also stated an example which seems that everyone is ignoring

i recently sold my gtx 970 for 60% of their value, and they were bought two years ago...

how in the hell a brand new card will be valued only 33% of its value, that is utterly and absolutely wrong

mining boom has zero value here, you don't sell to miners, gamers will always by card no matter what will happen to mining
  • kruisdraadkruisdraad Posts: 61Member
    jesus christ, can a mod please close this topic ... its a howto topic, not a debate on pricing

and to close the 'debate' itself ... i've nicely invested a into a large bunch of these cards and I am happy with them. Mainly longterm. For those so called 'comparing' guys you need to factor ALL conditions. E.g. total power draw, bases system costs, etc because with e.g. 970 or AMD or whatever you not only need more cards and more power, but also more room, mainboards, PSU's, cooling, etc

Also MH/Watt on the 480, did you actually measure it and read on all kinds of topics of the card drawing more power from PCI-e slots that allowed?

Also consider this: A new EVGA GTX 970 OC Ref you can buy directly for less then 200 euro's from distri (prolly 150e if you buy 100+) so at this point i am also considering them, only downside being the double power then the 1070 thus on long term higher costs.
    excuse me if offtopic, but i´m not thinking in making roi mining ETH.
    edited July 2016
    double power does not mean only electricity, many forgot that mean more cooling more psu etc...

so it's important to have low consumption
    _javi_ said:

excuse me if offtopic, but i´m not thinking in making roi mining ETH.

nvidia should mine something else, at the moment, which is blowing eth out of the water
  • BasementRotBasementRot Posts: 17Member
    FYI I think a realistic expectation of stable hashrate is about 32-33.

I don't know what kind of cards the OP has but I have 6 of the msi Gaming X 8g cards. The best one is stable at +125/+1850 (2100mhz / ~9850?mhz, but nvidia-settings reports ~2040/~9450 after a couple minutes hashing). It only gets ~33 MH.

After looking around I don't think anyone can really get more than 2100-2150 core clock on 1070s right now. How on earth did OP get 220mh to run for 12 hours?

The only thing I haven't tried lately is killing X and trying to OC more but I'm not sure if it would matter on the 5 forced edid cards?

I should also tell everyone that this guide has some holes in it. If you are a linux noob like me and try to install a fresh ubuntu 14.whatever and try to follow this guide exactly, you will have several major problems!

I ended up having better results with ubuntu 16 desktop, and using other guides to get ethminer built.

Thanks for the guide though OP, it did help a lot.
    Amph said:

nvidia should mine something else, at the moment, which is blowing eth out of the water

What would that be?

thanks

• workwork Posts: 2,084Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Amph I specifically addressed your "I sold my 970 during a mining boom..." I didn't ignore anything, clearly that's you not reading what's been written in this thread based on your last comments.

Mining booms have a HUGE impact on GPU resale. Who you're reselling it to doesn't matter, supply and demand does. After a mining boom, used GPUs flood the markets, supply goes way up, and demand goes way down. AMD and Nvidia didn't matter last time this happened, they both were worth a fraction of what they were only a month or two prior. But hey, if you're going to continue to ignore what's in front of your nose, I'm not going to rub it in it anymore.
    @BasementRot To me, 31Mh/s seems to be optimal, -50 on core clock, the push to 32-33MH/s just uses so much more energy that it isn't really worth it.
    edited July 2016
    work said:

@Amph I specifically addressed your "I sold my 970 during a mining boom..." I didn't ignore anything, clearly that's you not reading what's been written in this thread based on your last comments.

Mining booms have a HUGE impact on GPU resale. Who you're reselling it to doesn't matter, supply and demand does. After a mining boom, used GPUs flood the markets, supply goes way up, and demand goes way down. AMD and Nvidia didn't matter last time this happened, they both were worth a fraction of what they were only a month or two prior. But hey, if you're going to continue to ignore what's in front of your nose, I'm not going to rub it in it anymore.

mining boom has nothing to do with the value of a resale when you simply sell to gamers, gamers do not care ike i said if you are a miner or not, so no it has a zero impact, and i've already said this in multiple post

anyone who think that a 1070 will be worth $150 in 6 months don't know shit about resale value guaranteed
    You guys are funny.. If ETH died and everyone sold their cards it would certainly have an impact on used card prices BUT.. as used card prices go down, people will switch from buying new cards to buying used cards and balance things out.

I think it would take about 150,000 30MHs cards to equal eth network hashrate. Something like 60 million new cards are sold per year.
    If I try to close X (lightdm) and run ethminer my cards lose their overclock.

If I try to start ethminer first, then close X, my cards clock themselves down to 500mhz and run like crap as soon as X closes.

If there is a way to overclock but not have X process running on all the cards, I can't figure it out. Any ideas?
  • nisanisa Posts: 8Member
    I`m digging at opencl = 2x1070 - 50MHs
    Now iam added cards and fail... 3x1070= 60MHs , 4x1070=70Mhs

Any clues?
    digging at celeron 1820 , 4gb ram...adding +6gb ram nothing happend
    nisa said:

Any clues?

Use Genoils cudaminer 1.1.7. not opencl, that's for AMD cards, i get ~62MH/s with 2 1070's. There are multiple guides on how to do that here on the forums, try searching or reading some threads.
  • thesmokingmanthesmokingman Posts: 152Member ✭✭

If I try to close X (lightdm) and run ethminer my cards lose their overclock.

If I try to start ethminer first, then close X, my cards clock themselves down to 500mhz and run like crap as soon as X closes.

If there is a way to overclock but not have X process running on all the cards, I can't figure it out. Any ideas?

@BasementRot - I don't think there's a way to run the cards without X running. I finally have my cards running stable with over clocks. I just login to the GUI and set my fan and power tune settings. Once done I press ctrl + alt + F1 to login to the command line interface, and then run my ethminer command from there. I'm averaging 126-130MH so far with just 4 cards.

nisa said:

Any clues?

@nisa - as @Smokyish said, use Genoils ETH miner for your cards. That's what I'm using to achieve the above results. I may post a more complete guide to help fill in the holes in @kruisdraad guide.
    I have auto login to X enabled, and a modded version of OPs script to OC each card its own max frequency then start mining in lxterminal windows. I start 3 instances of 2 cards each so I could hone in on each cards max overclock. Some of them run stable at mem +1500 and others can handle +1750.

I thought about adding the switch to terminal 1 (ctrl + alt + f1) in my script but I don't know if it would allow for faster OCs or not?

I do know that if ethminer would restart after a cuda error from overclocking that I could get a higher hashrate. Some OCs will run for a couple hours but I have to drop them back to get 24/7 stability.

We should either figure out a good way to get ethminer set to auto-restart on cuda error, or i guess wait for Claymores dual ether miner to support cuda and pay the %2 usage fee. It has auto-restart build in.
  • nisanisa Posts: 8Member
    @thesmokingman please make guide for newbie beginers.
    I dont know for whom krud tutorial but definitely not for linux newbies

I cant use this ;)
    edited July 2016
    Some of the problems I remember having with OP's ubuntu 14 guide. I used a fresh install.

building ethminer - json rpc version too old. following guide to build json rpc had errors with cmake. possible solution may be one of those remote package repositories? maybe from a dif ethminer building guide. I also had json build problem on ubuntu 16 because the required package changed names slightly.

x0vncserver fail - could not start X server. possible cause/solution: on my Asrock H97 anniversary the pcie 16x slot is actually BusID "PCI:02:0:0" (i think) the rest are PCI:03:0:0 through PCI:07:0:0 so the OPs xorg.conf didn't work. X0vncserver gave a generic error so it wasn't easy to figure out. I think I used nvidia's command to build a xorg.conf file and edited my own to be similar to OPs.

error running ethminer - error about nvidia driver 304 uvm or something close to that. cause/solution: cuda installs outdated nvidia drivers and ethminer tries to use the wrong ones. I forget how exactly but I think I had to apt search then apt uninstall to get rid of them so ethminer would use the new ones.

"Fix the hardcoded Cuda8 361 driver" step - /lib/modules/4.2.0-38-generic/ did not exists for me, without upgrading ubuntu i only had a lower version of this folder, after upgrading ubuntu I had a higher version but not this one.

"download edid.bin and place it into /etc/X11/ (google it and you'll find it ... i did)" - I didn't see a good link to download one so I just had xorg generate one for me using the monitor that was connected. the command for that was easy to find

Finally the clock speeds. I don't want to call the OP a liar but I don't believe that he really achieved 37 MH/s. I've looked around at the max clock speeds other people are able to get, and I don't think 37 is possible. Maybe with 1.25 core voltage? People say these cards don't respond much to over-volting.
    Post edited by BasementRot on
  • scootyscooty Posts: 14Member
    edited July 2016
    >:) >:) >:) >:) watch out with this guy, he try to pull me off with $100 and not sharing any information how he setup my server. what a SCAM!!!! pretty sure he would put some coin stealer in the system once start mining. probably mining go to his head :D >:) >:) >:) >:)
  • retherrether Posts: 258Member ✭✭
    I'm pretty noob at *nix systems. Is it possible to easily mine on a distribution that has a desktop environment like Mint? Like if I installed Genoil's miner on Mint would I be able to easily mine on an nvidia card and get decent speeds?
  • kruisdraadkruisdraad Posts: 61Member
    if your n00b dont even try
    it won't be easy for a linux noob to get this going, there are a ton of problems that you will run into. I wasn't able to find any guide that worked exactly as written.

It took me almost 2 weeks to get it all figured out. Scooty ^ wasted a bunch of time working on his and finally hired me to set it up. (he was mad at the OP btw, not me. I do all the setup over teamviewer so you can watch. I explain everything I do)

save yourself a ton of frustration and time - hire me

I also set up scripts that automatically set all the overclocks and start the miners when the pc boots

send me a message
  • demidborodindemidborodin Posts: 4Member
    Hey guys, i'm install Ubuntu Server 14.04 and try install CUDA8 from Invidia, when i use apt-install -y cuda, i'm got error after 4-5 min install proces.

failed to apply acl on /dev/dri/card0

any one have idea?