6 Sapphire R9 390x Best Operating System and Settings for Ethereum mining

Comments

• swedishfishguyswedishfishguy Member Posts: 16

Got the GPUs, motherboard and frame, just waiting for the rest now, going to start building what I can!
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 633 mod
    Good luck @swedishfishguy and have fun! I'm sure you'll be having a lot of fun!
  • EtherionEtherion Member Posts: 95
    I wonder what will be your ROI on that rig now.

3 down 3 to go, PSU still didn't show up so can't do much with it yet
    Hardware all installed. Windows is installing. Will post an update once I get the mining software installed and working
  • Dr_House86Dr_House86 Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭
    Looks nice ;)
    But i wonder what this frame cost?
    Btw my cards got +10Celsius up by mounting it this way, am i the only one?
    Finally all configured and set up

Very happy with the results, each card is using max 250 watts so my power is fine. I clocked them each up 10% to 1185 MHz core clock and getting 33-34 each constantly

Looks nice ;)
    But i wonder what this frame cost?
    Btw my cards got +10Celsius up by mounting it this way, am i the only one?

Not sure about the temp but it might be right because some of mine are running a decent amount hotter than others.

The frame was a little over 200, probably could have built one for around 100 but didn't want to spend the extra time
  • Dr_House86Dr_House86 Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭
    Okay ;)
    My rig is an old metal shoe rack xD
  • chrizzochrizzo GermanyMember Posts: 130 ✭✭
    whats your vcore from oc?
  • boysieboysie Member Posts: 589 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    got this with my MSI R9 390's 2 off, stable 61.9 - 67 avg 63.9MH/s

I'm finding the 390's much better value than the 390x

power at plug 560W through a EVGA 1000 W GQ Series

ethermine.org/miners/d466b7880996d6ca134398f79e93a5660acc2c31

Post edited by boysie on
  • SMAC88SMAC88 Member Posts: 13
    edited June 2016
    @swedishfishguy
    Nice rig, I just have a simple wooden crate that I modded for 25 CHF certainly doesn't look as flash as yours. My cards are set horizontal as opposed to vertical, the 2 cards on the end above the motherboard and cpu cooling fan get the hottest and the ones on the other side above the dual power supplies are the coolest. I am going leave as is for now as is for now though when I build the next Ill try to mount cards away from the motherboard/cpu fan.

@boysie
    Hmmm, thats a nice undervolt for that clock speed. I'll have to try that setting, mine are still over volted running at 1200 core, tried undervolting also at 1185 but resulted in multiple crashes but will try again. You look to be using Qtminer and Stratum proxy, I've just switched to that and joined Ethermine pool and am seeing much greater returns than using Ethminer (Get) on Weipool I would say mainly due to the better and redundant connections.

edited June 2016
    Seeing as we are sharing, here is my farmers rig :) and yes since taking the pic I did sort all the cables out - no longer a mess!

• Techman34Techman34 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    Nice rig @swedishfishguy! What temp ranges are you seeing?

You too @SMAC88 like that construct - are you powering those PCI USB Risers? or is the only power just coming from your PSU to GPU connections?
    edited June 2016
    Thanks. PSU to GPU + PCI USB risers Sata powered + Motherboard PCI powered - lots of power :)
  • boysieboysie Member Posts: 589 ✭✭✭
    SMAC88 said:

@boysie
    Hmmm, thats a nice undervolt for that clock speed. I'll have to try that setting, mine are still over volted running at 1200 core, tried undervolting also at 1185 but resulted in multiple crashes but will try again. You look to be using Qtminer and Stratum proxy, I've just switched to that and joined Ethermine pool and am seeing much greater returns than using Ethminer (Get) on Weipool I would say mainly due to the better and redundant connections.

Nope that's etherminer, I did try qtminer at first but like you I found eth-proxy and etherminer seems to work best esp with backup connections, its a shame on these msi cards you cant underclock the mem, its locked at 1500 min which is odd
  • mista66mista66 Member Posts: 117
    Biodom said:

@mista66 @swedishfishguy
    I run my rigs on Ubuntu, but there was a learning curve indeed.
    As far as double boot, I would do it on a PC, but not on a rig-not worth it.
    My first dual boot Ubuntu install on PC was such a letdown with all those obscure boot command changes in BIOS, grub incompatibility, etc. Yick! It worked in the end, though.

I'll probably set a test rig up to dual boot
  • citronickcitronick Member Posts: 110
    Use MSI Afterburner v4.2 to undervolt and overclock. My 390s are at 30MHs each with AF settings, -100mV,1050,1125, 5 x MSI R9-390 = 150MHs
  • rauljescalonarauljescalona Member Posts: 3
    le metes window 10 y los driver 15.12 corre mejor mas fria y a mas mh
  • hasherhasher Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    @citronick I just tried your settings. Rig crashes immediately. Are you sure you typed in the correct numbers? I use OC only (no under volt) with 1160/1250 and get around 33MH per card
    @hasher that settings have been running for weeks - I have 5 rigs with the same settings. Power draw is about 1300watts per rig. I am ok with 30MHs per GPU because the rig now consumes a bit less more power and temps at 72-75c undervolted. If you overclock it too much, you will have heat problems, CDM will reports errors, lose shares and consumes a lot of power. The 390 is a great card for ETH mining but its power hungry and gets very hot - it can draw up to 270w per card.
  • bctopicsbctopics Member Posts: 322 ✭✭
    hasher said:

@citronick I just tried your settings. Rig crashes immediately. Are you sure you typed in the correct numbers? I use OC only (no under volt) with 1160/1250 and get around 33MH per card

Same thing happend to me.
  • hasherhasher Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    @citronick i'm using claymore's miner. According to my stats on ethermine, i have no invalid shares. So I think my settings are working okay.
    @hasher if it works for you then you should stick to it. 390s are all the same, however each manufacturer has different cooling config for them, your environment, climate, mobo, PSU etc may also have some impact. For me I achieved my target aiming to lower power consumption at best hash, and stable. Good mining.
    @citronick I found this to be the case as well. I spent a lot of time tweaking the cards - pushing them, monitoring temps, seeing fluctuations, pulling them back, optimizing voltage, etc. all which resulted in more inconsistent hash performance. I've found if I just let them run at clock I can undervolt and get a steady 30MH per card and very steady and consistent pool results and no worries of crashing while I'm at work. Just ordered 2 more 390's today!
  • hari7246hari7246 Member Posts: 3
    hello every i am hari i want start etereum mining i want buy new pc 6 gpu 390X i want no that is MSI Z97-GD65 Gaming LGA is also work for 6 GPU every one useing ASRock H81 but i want to try this msi z97 gd65 is that relay work for 6 x R9 390X ? and 2x 1000W is better for that or i need to buy 2x 1200W please let no what i want buy i want to buy full new mining rig PC
    hey @hari7246 welcome - go r9 390 vs. 390x unless there is some special deal/circumstance you are getting them much cheaper for. Performance difference to price increase is not worth it. Check out various cards at this mining hardware site. Regarding the mobo, we use the h81 because it's cheap and just works. It was made with mining in mind.
    Yes the H81 is cheap and works and the other core components are too - you can also get cheap pentium/celeron processors for it and stick basic 8GB DDR3 1333 ram in it. It is worth noting though that if you get a cheap processor and you are running a node / solo mining on it and syncing the blockchain that you will want to find another PC with a faster processor to initially download the blockchain and then import it into your rigs node because low end processors take forever to load sync up the blockchain initially.
  • shutfushutfu Member Posts: 320 ✭✭
    @SMAC88 do you have blueprints/diagram for that wooden open air case? I need to build one just like that, that supports dual psu. That looks perfect
  • hari7246hari7246 Member Posts: 3
    Techman34 said:

hey @hari7246 welcome - go r9 390 vs. 390x unless there is some special deal/circumstance you are getting them much cheaper for. Performance difference to price increase is not worth it. Check out various cards at this mining hardware site. Regarding the mobo, we use the h81 because it's cheap and just works. It was made with mining in mind.

Techman34 said:

THANK YOU SUGGESTION AND i my place i am getting MSI R9 390X @470 USD
    and asrock h81 @ of 150 USD and MSI Z97-GD65 board @ 220 USD
    just i want no that msi Z97-GD65 work for 6 GPU or not please tell me that become comparatively h81 msi Z97-GD65 was heavy resistance board and good quality and i am getting 3years warranty in my palce but h81 i don't have any warranty in my location