6 Sapphire R9 390x Best Operating System and Settings for Ethereum mining

swedishfishguyswedishfishguy Member Posts: 16
Hey guys,

Just ordered 6 of these: SAPPHIRE NITRO Radeon R9 390X

Also ordered the rest of the requirements for the computer and a frame, along with 2 1000W EVGA PSU and the Add2PSU adapter to connect them both to the same computer.

All of the parts come in on Friday and I want to set it up as quickly and easily as possible. I can do the hardware part, but I'm honestly not sure which OS to use, was thinking about ethOS but then saw that people don't like it and on their site it says they don't support 2 PSU, so that's not an option. I'm not sure if it's better to use Ubuntu or Windows, or which version of either.

Also, depending on which one I choose, what would be the best mining software to use, and with what settings? The rig will be running basically 24/7 and will only be used for mining. Also, what are the best AMD drivers to use for mining? I've heard 15.12 drivers are good but have also heard that just the latest are fine. Want to know for sure to maximize performance.

Also, if Ubuntu is the OS of choice, how would I go about overclocking the cards and getting the best performance out of them.

Thank you in advance, and I will post pictures of the build in progress and the build completed with the hash rate of it once I have it running, and trust me I will be building it as soon as it comes in.

Also if anyone is interested the price of the whole rig and everything needed (Other than OS which I can get for free) was $3150.

Thank you for the help :)

Comments

• swedishfishguyswedishfishguy Member Posts: 16
    Oh and also on a separate note I'm not sure which pool is best to use so any recommendations would be great. I've been using minergate a bit with my current computer but not sure how it is compared to others.
  • downhillfromheredownhillfromhere Member Posts: 50
    edited June 2016
    Try Claymore's DP mining, flipped 2 racks over last week from ethOS and am more than satisfied. Not sure on the dual PSU situation, currently running x12 370's myself w/x2 1000w gold.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=638915.0

Try Claymore's DP mining, flipped 2 racks over last week from ethOS and am more than satisfied. Not sure on the dual PSU situation, currently running x12 370's myself w/x2 1000w gold.

Ok I'll look into it, what hash rate do you get with that?
  • citronickcitronick Member Posts: 110
    5 x MSI R9 390 with CDM v4.4 = 150MHs
    AF settings: -100mV, 1050, 1125 = 30MHs per GPU
    citronick said:

5 x MSI R9 390 with CDM v4.4 = 150MHs
    AF settings: -100mV, 1050, 1125 = 30MHs per GPU

Is CDM Claymore as well? Seems like it, and also what OS are you using?
    Claymore Dual Miner (CDM), Windows 8.1/ASrock H81 BTC/8GB RAM/Celeron 1840/ 1 x EVGA 1600-G2). I am using ETH mining mode only, and rig draws around 1320watts. With Dual mining enabled about 1570-1620watts.
    CDM also supports Linux.

My advise...

1. try to get everything into 1 x PSU - you may need to settle for 5 x GPU rig
    2. total power draw should be around 80% of PSU watts for safety and prolong PSU life
    3. always undervolt and overclock
    4. $$$ difference of 390 and 390x, is it worth that 2-3MHs?
    5. CDM on Windows - ease of use and management - drivers, overclocking utilities...
    6. Linux? underclocking and overclocking will be a challenge - steep learning curve
    7. 5 x GPU or 6 x GPU? 6 x 390s will stretch your 1600w or 1700w PSU, need 2 PSUs
    8. 390s are power hungry and tends to get very hot, 6 x GPUs will surely stress your 20amps circuit - assuming you are doing home mining
  • kotariuskotarius Member Posts: 329 ✭✭✭
    Small clarification regarding ethOS. It supports dual-psu just fine, but our team does not provide support for people who are crashing their rigs due to power backfeed issues associated with running dual-psu and powering GPUs from two different sources.
  • downhillfromheredownhillfromhere Member Posts: 50
    The support is pretty solid

Ok I'll look into it, what hash rate do you get with that?
    Doing a stable 100 mh/s per rack, @citronick has it right, for me personally starting out in windows then switching to linux on a whim was a PITA. I have a few 390's currently and they're pretty effective, avg 28 +/- (more minus lately) but they were the first thing I moved out to the garage. One thing I have noticed is that underclocking works, take your time & be prepared to have zen like patience.
    just to clarify: I have one rig with ethOS, I bought a license copy for the rig. But the rest of my rigs, switched from qtminer to CDM - I didn't have to purchase any license for CDM - however Claymore mines up to 72 seconds per day to his own ETH account, as development fee.
    citronick said:

CDM also supports Linux.

My advise...

1. try to get everything into 1 x PSU - you may need to settle for 5 x GPU rig
    2. total power draw should be around 80% of PSU watts for safety and prolong PSU life
    3. always undervolt and overclock
    4. $$$ difference of 390 and 390x, is it worth that 2-3MHs?
    5. CDM on Windows - ease of use and management - drivers, overclocking utilities...
    6. Linux? underclocking and overclocking will be a challenge - steep learning curve
    7. 5 x GPU or 6 x GPU? 6 x 390s will stretch your 1600w or 1700w PSU, need 2 PSUs
    8. 390s are power hungry and tends to get very hot, 6 x GPUs will surely stress your 20amps circuit - assuming you are doing home mining

Thank you for all the advice.
    With the 6 GPU running at full load the whole computer will take max ~1800 watts

20 amp circuit can run 2400 max and assuming 80% that's 1920, still more than its using, and since its two seperate power supplies I can always run them on seperate circuits.

It seems like Windows and claymore dual miner are preferred, should I use Windows 8.1 like you have or is Windows 7 fine? I know 8.1 supports 6 GPU but I'm not sure about win 7.

Again, thank you for all the help.
    Also, core clock on the cards is 1080 MHz, what do you think I should set it to? Also any idea MH/s with this rig? I've seen multiple people saying anywhere from 28-34 per card and I'm honestly not sure.
  • SMAC88SMAC88 Member Posts: 13
    edited June 2016
    I have 6 Sapphire Radeon 390 Nitros (Not X) and they pull 1800-1900 watts from the wall. Using crimson 15.12 on Windows 10 prior to overclocking. Windows 8.1 can't despite everything pick up 6 cards but no issue with Windows 10, which I am using. Your 2 X 1000 watt PSUs will be ok if you don't overclock much, you could take Core Clock to 1150 without increasing voltage or power (at your own risk of course).

I use 2 X 1200 watt platinum PSUs from EVGA and using MSI afterburner I overclocked the Core Clock to 1200 Mhz and left Mem Clock at 1500 Mhz. Over 1200 system becomes unstable even with maxed out voltage and power increase. Overclocking the core clock has improved the hash rate. Voltage is set to + 75, Power + 40 at present and system is stable running 80% fans at 75-77 degrees celsius. Still tweaking it at the moment and hash rate is fluctuating between 130 Mh/s and 206 Mh/s. The power consumed when overclocked is around 2100 watts.

I also just ordered another rig, this time the 390Xs as well :smiley:

Hope this helps.
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 633 mod
    edited June 2016
    @SMAC88
    Got some of those nitro's as well.
    got 1 of them that's been stable @ core clock 1260 for months now :)

If you want to go over that 1200 core clock, i posted a modified rom for those nitro's over @bitcointalk.
    https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1424132.msg15024713#msg15024713
    But be carefull though, it will consume even more and get a lot hotter.

You could also lower that memory clock to 1250, it won't heavily affect your hashrate but your power usage will go down a little, you can underclock your vddci(AUX - Voltage given to the memory controller) and they won't run as hot.

Greetings!
    edited June 2016
    Oh and FYI - I tried loads of AMD drivers and the 16.XXX drivers reduce hash rate considerably so stick with the old 15.XXX drivers.
    Thanks for the tip Heliox, will look into that.
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 633 mod
    Try 16.4.1 or 16.5.3, been doing great over here :wink:
    Thanks for all the advice, seems like I'd be pushing it with just the 2000w total, would it be a good idea to return one of them and replace with a 1300 so I have 2300w total? Or possibly even 2600w total if it's really worth it. Price difference between 1000 and 1300 is about 15 dollars, and I ordered them through Amazon so easy returns. If it's worth it I will just order 2 1300s and return the others once they get here.
  • Marvell9Marvell9 Member Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    Why does every one undervolt then overclock I already get 29.5 Mhs and I turn my core clock down to 950 or so I would reduce memory but I can't on Windows 10 believe me 3 more Mhs per card is not worth the extra heat and power use
  • mista66mista66 Member Posts: 117
    citronick said:

CDM also supports Linux.

Agree to some extent and think ubuntu might be be worth the extra challenge, for overall performance and stability. I would go for a dual boot configuration and try both.

• BiodomBiodom Member Posts: 693 ✭✭✭
    @mista66 @swedishfishguy
    I run my rigs on Ubuntu, but there was a learning curve indeed.
    As far as double boot, I would do it on a PC, but not on a rig-not worth it.
    My first dual boot Ubuntu install on PC was such a letdown with all those obscure boot command changes in BIOS, grub incompatibility, etc. Yick! It worked in the end, though.
  • hasherhasher Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    I have three 6x390 Sapphire nitro rigs running with 2 x Corsair AX1200i PSUs and an Add2PSU adapter to sync the power supplies safely, running on Windows 8.1 and Crimson 15.12 drivers. All purring along perfectly at ~199MH. I'm not sure why you went to buy the X version, there's no difference in speed.. should have saved your money and got normal 390. Happy hashing!
    hasher said:

I have three 6x390 Sapphire nitro rigs running with 2 x Corsair AX1200i PSUs and an Add2PSU adapter to sync the power supplies safely, running on Windows 8.1 and Crimson 15.12 drivers. All purring along perfectly at ~199MH. I'm not sure why you went to buy the X version, there's no difference in speed.. should have saved your money and got normal 390. Happy hashing!

You would think they would be cheaper but the cheapest ones were 430 each and I got mine for under 400 each. But yea it seems like getting better PSU is needed.
    So far it seems that windows is the best - Most likely will use win 10 since I can get it for free
    CDM appears to be the best software
    I should upgrade at least one PSU to 1300 instead of 1000
    15.12 Drivers are good
    Pretty much the only other thing is the pool I should use
    Any good recommendations?
    hasher said:

Also do you mind posting what settings you use for your miner? That's a nice hash rate.
    @citronick @downhillfromhere @hasher @Marvell9 @SMAC88

Was wondering what mining pool you guys use and also what settings for the miner? Thanks.
    Also do you guys agree with upgrading to 2x 1300w EVGA or should I just do 1x 1300w and 1x 1000w?
    I know that's a lot of questions overall but I really appreciate the help.

Everything comes in tomorrow, I will post pictures and data for sure.
  • stoonstoon Member Posts: 337 ✭✭
    FYI You can edit your post(s), you don't have to make a new one every time.
    R9 390X purely for future gaming / resale possibilities not for hash rate. Also using add2PSU very good indeed! Would you mind sharing your config and confirming whether you get a fairly constant hash - mine is jumping all over the place on ethminer. Do you use setx to set the cards? Are you mining on one or more instance? Any help would be appreciated as I know this rig could perform better.
  • hasherhasher Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    Running the cards overclocked at 1150 coreclock 1250 memclock with claymore's miner. ~199MH all day with 6 cards.

Don't forget to add this to your batch file:
    setx GPU_FORCE_64BIT_PTR 0
    setx GPU_MAX_HEAP_SIZE 100
    setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
    setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
    setx GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT 100

Works well for me. Give it a try. Good luck hashing!
    edited June 2016
    Thanks for sharing. It's exactly what I have set in my batch already.

Here's my batch configuration:

ECHO OFF
    cls
    ECHO Configuring GPU farm...
    setx GPU_FORCE_64BIT_PTR 0
    setx GPU_MAX_HEAP_SIZE 100
    setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
    setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
    setx GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
    ECHO Starting pool mining...
    ethminer --opencl -G --farm-recheck 200 -F mine.weipool.org:5555/0xea72b4f0356d7e431fbaf2f635c51509131c36ec/180 -t 6 --cl-global-work 16834 --cl-local-work 256

Right, will try out some under clocking and look into Claymore.