AMD Radeon RX 480 What do you think?

Frank_ZappaFrank_Zappa Member Posts: 30
edited June 2016 in Mining
What do you guys think of the today released AMD Radeon RX 480?

AMD Radeon RX 480 4GB ($200)
Ellesmere, 2304 cores, 1266 MHz, 4096 MB, 256 bit, PCI-Express 3.0 x16, 150W

AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB ($229)
Ellesmere, 2304 cores, 1266 MHz, 8192 MB, 256 bit, PCI-Express 3.0 x16, 150W

Comments

• stoonstoon Member Posts: 337 ✭✭✭
    I hope they are good for mining. However, it might flood the market with cheep used "power hungry" GPU's. I'm debating waiting for the 480's or to buy some 370's or wait for the cheep used cards.
  • EastwindEastwind Member Posts: 107
    The memory bandwidth is just 256 bit, R9 390 is 512 bit. It might not be good for Eth mining.
  • dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    There's also the question of decent driver support out of the gate, and it will likely be a while before you can optimize the BIOS, since it's a new CGN revision and hardware architecture. Just have to wait and see.
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    dlehenky said:

There's also the question of decent driver support out of the gate, and it will likely be a while before you can optimize the BIOS, since it's a new CGN revision and hardware architecture. Just have to wait and see.

Already talked to someone about that :)

It will most likely be kind of identical to fiji so i already know what to do :)

There's an updated atombios.h on github plus pptable.h (PowerPlay info) and Polaris 10 may well need same mods as Fiji for VID manual control. If they use IR3567B voltage control chip we'll have VDDC offsets ROMs for sure and if second loop is doing MVDDC then that as well :wink:
    Greetings
  • th00berth00ber Member Posts: 213 ✭✭
    Eastwind said:

The memory bandwidth is just 256 bit, R9 390 is 512 bit. It might not be good for Eth mining.

Such as 280/380, but with newest core gen and higher freq memory.
    I'll not be surprised if a 480 could hash at 25-27Mh/s for 150W max
    @th00ber Keep in mind that their power specs are at the pci bus, not the wall, so depending on your PSU, it's more like 165-170 watts.
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    If not more.. look at a nano.. 175W TDP, can easily go up to 250 :)
    @Heliox I saw 200, but nothing higher, although I don't remember how I was clocking the core then; I definitely wasn't underclocking :)
  • deliciousminingdeliciousmining Member Posts: 49
    It will be easy to do crossfire 2x480 on any decent power supply that has 2x6-pin.
    If it will do 2x25MH/s then it seems like a no-brainer for casual gamer :)
  • TruthchanterTruthchanter Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Heliox said:

If not more.. look at a nano.. 175W TDP, can easily go up to 250 :)

Nano is rated for 175w but can go up to 250w? Will you explain deeper how/why? One factor that makes sense to me is overclock (and overvolt but overvolting doesn't seem relevant to Ethereum mining).

I remember reading something about 88% of the TDP, not sure if that applies to mining or how accurate it is, but i'm trying to figure out how power consumption works.

For the heck of it, I just tried my 860w PSU with 3x 290s mining and it is stable so far... I would have thought each 290 has like 300 tdp... so 3x 300w = 900 which is greater than 860w of the psu. What's up with this lol
  • shutfushutfu Member Posts: 320 ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    @Truthchanter tdp is average standard usage. most video cards draw wayyyyyyy over their TDP under full load. Then on top of that, PSU efficiency comes in to play

"thermal design point (TDP), is the maximum amount of heat generated by the CPU (in this case, GPU) that the cooling system in a computer is required to dissipate in typical operation."
  • shutfushutfu Member Posts: 320 ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    when do these rx480 hit the market? seems like used r9 290s might be a better deal. I got mine for 180 and they are undervolted ~80mV total, so drawing considerably less power, while hashing 29mh/s
    Post edited by shutfu on
  • TruthchanterTruthchanter Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    @shutfu I may have read the rx480 launches june 29. Not sure if that's a soft or hard launch tho
  • adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    The problem is that in the mining world, time is everything.

They might hash at 40mh/s and cost $200 and use like 100 watts of elelectricity but if they come out in 2 months when the difficulty doubles and price tanks then its a worse deal compared to getting a used 280/290 today.

Time is everything in mining!
  • citronickcitronick Member Posts: 110
    Just saw the R9 480 announcement... did I hear this correctly?

480 just as good as 390 in terms of raw power and 150watts only, and it retails for $199 !!!

This is really good timing since we need powerful GPUs suitable for ETH mining, draws less power and after POW it can be recycled for a decent gaming rig!
  • MrYukonCMrYukonC Member Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    adaseb said:

They might hash at 40mh/s and cost $200 and use like 100 watts of elelectricity but if they come out in 2 months when the difficulty doubles and price tanks then its a worse deal compared to getting a used 280/290 today.

This post by @adaseb nails it.

If you're already in the game and in the green, you're probably best off sticking with what you have.

If you're not already in the game, then you may be better off directly buying ETH.

At this point, the arrival of PoS while uncertain, is still looming and could be anywhere from 6 - 12+ months.

Regardless, with difficulty rising and the initial cost of hardware, you best be damn sure you can make ROI. My gut says that at this point, it will be hard (I haven't run the numbers lately because I've long since been in the green).

Of course, if ETH shoots up to $20+ then all bets are off and that changes everything, kind of, because you still can't discount directly buying ETH versus mining in that case (assuming you buy now, before any kind of price breakout).
  • Frank_ZappaFrank_Zappa Member Posts: 30
    MrYukonC said:

adaseb said:

If you're already in the game and in the green, you're probably best off sticking with what you have.

If you're not already in the game, then you may be better off directly buying ETH.

At this point, the arrival of PoS while uncertain, is still looming and could be anywhere from 6 - 12+ months.

Regardless, with difficulty rising and the initial cost of hardware, you best be damn sure you can make ROI. My gut says that at this point, it will be hard (I haven't run the numbers lately because I've long since been in the green).

Of course, if ETH shoots up to $20+ then all bets are off and that changes everything, kind of, because you still can't discount directly buying ETH versus mining in that case (assuming you buy now, before any kind of price breakout).
    Did you say the same when you where mining BTC a year ago? There is always a way to start mining and make it profitable! The new S9 antminer mines 14ths atm ($2100) . If you start with BTC mining with this equipment (even after the reward halving) with $0,12 kwh avrg You can still make good profit.

It will always get faster and better check all the other currencies. But it's never to late to start mining.
    @Frank_Zappa BTC doesn't have PoS coming down the track in as little as 6 months. It's a different time horizon, so a different equation altogether.
  • BiodomBiodom Member Posts: 693 ✭✭✭
    MrYukonC said:

adaseb said:

I always do both (buying and mining). You can think of mining as a slow crypto buying process.
    Every time I sell crypto, I regret it afterwards.
    edited June 2016

Did you say the same when you where mining BTC a year ago? There is always a way to start mining and make it profitable! The new S9 antminer mines 14ths atm ($2100) . If you start with BTC mining with this equipment (even after the reward halving) with $0,12 kwh avrg You can still make good profit.

It will always get faster and better check all the other currencies. But it's never to late to start mining.

Please recheck your math. Profit on S9 in BTC terms is/was impossible at the introductory price of 4 btc (with shipping). When using calculators make sure to correct for halving at July 10. The easiest way to correct is simply input 7th (instead of 14) and keep 25btc as a block size, then add about $300 to revenue (since this is the difference on how much more you will mine before halving before block reward is split in half) or simply subtract from $2150 (price with shipping), yielding an input of $1850 as price, 7th (instead of 14th due to halving), 25btc as a block (not compensating since I adjusted speed), 9c electricity (since this is what I have).

The result: I got a deficit of $809 by June of 2017.

• adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Yeah the S9 is too expensive.

Only way to make money with Bitcoin right now is to buy S7's while having free electricity.

edited June 2016
    adaseb said:

Yeah the S9 is too expensive.

Only way to make money with Bitcoin right now is to buy S7's while having free electricity.

In Chile, they have negative electricity rates due to the overabundance of solar power.
    Not kidding.
  • hasherhasher Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    I need to open a super farm in Chile :)
  • big_MIKEbig_MIKE Member Posts: 84
    Keep in mind at halving, many people might close down since reward is only half. Some large farms will most likely liquidate inventory as continuing to mine will be negative income. I fought with myself all day about picking up a S9 the other day when it became for sale. Now that batch one is sold out, figure I can wait a few months and pick one up when price goes down. I bought two S7 for $1,800 each in batch one. Now they cost like $400, lol. Bastards!!!!!
    edited June 2016
    big_MIKE said:

Keep in mind at halving, many people might close down since reward is only half. Some large farms will most likely liquidate inventory as continuing to mine will be negative income. I fought with myself all day about picking up a S9 the other day when it became for sale. Now that batch one is sold out, figure I can wait a few months and pick one up when price goes down. I bought two S7 for $1,800 each in batch one. Now they cost like $400, lol. Bastards!!!!!

Did you REALLY wanted it-because it is back being available for the same silly price.
    I wouldn't touch it; maybe at $1000-1100 i would.
  • hasherhasher Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    I have a whole bunch of gridseed g-blades sitting in the corner of my room collecting dust LOL @big_MIKE
  • big_MIKEbig_MIKE Member Posts: 84
    anything I spend Bitcoin on is free. I made my money back on all my equipment and just keep collecting. So if I spent 4 Bitcoin on a S9 it will eventually replenish. It's not like I am a millionaire from mining, but it allows me to buy cool electronics and even invest. Just sold some eth for BTC last week. Then this week used that BTC to buy couple gold bars from JM bullion.

Everyone has to start mining at one point, be it gpu or ASIC. Over time you can start to grow your farms and accumulate money or coins. Pisses me off that people have said for few months that people should not build rigs to mine eth. Let them start the hobby to learn and have fun.
    big_MIKE said:

Have you been watching the price of BTC lately? It's possible, by the time the halving occurs, that BTC will be worth close to double what it was a month ago, in which case the halving will have virtually no affect on current mining profitability. That's speculation, of course, but at the moment, it's headed that way.
  • zedzednovazedzednova Member Posts: 53
    big_MIKE said:

Everyone has to start mining at one point, be it gpu or ASIC. Over time you can start to grow your farms and accumulate money or coins. Pisses me off that people have said for few months that people should not build rigs to mine eth. Let them start the hobby to learn and have fun.

I got my start mining BTC and LTC in late 2011/early 2012 using CPU and crappy built-in GPUs right about the time that BTC was going FPGA and LTC was just taking off. I followed the bitcointalk boards for a few months, then drifted away. Imagine my surprise when I discovered what my LTC was worth, even now after missing the peak LTC price. Now I'm mining ETH on a single R7 370 and it's about to earn it's 3rd ETH. I'd like to add a 480 to that rig. I'm toying with building a 6xGTX1070 rig. If things go to hell mining, my nephew will crap when I give him a 2xGTX1070 gift system.

- zed
  • Frank_ZappaFrank_Zappa Member Posts: 30

big_MIKE said:

I got my start mining BTC and LTC in late 2011/early 2012 using CPU and crappy built-in GPUs right about the time that BTC was going FPGA and LTC was just taking off. I followed the bitcointalk boards for a few months, then drifted away. Imagine my surprise when I discovered what my LTC was worth, even now after missing the peak LTC price. Now I'm mining ETH on a single R7 370 and it's about to earn it's 3rd ETH. I'd like to add a 480 to that rig. I'm toying with building a 6xGTX1070 rig. If things go to hell mining, my nephew will crap when I give him a 2xGTX1070 gift system.

- zed
    Please let me (us) know how it works out with those 1070! (or 1080?..)