LISK... Is Ethereum's blockchain bloat going to kill it?

btchedgebtchedge Posts: 6Member
edited May 2016 in Watercooler
So, I was talking to a crypto friend and he told me to check out LISK. After a very cursory review I became very intrigued. First, it's use of common web technologies (JavaScript, HTML5, CSS) seems very compelling, and likely to draw in tons of developers who already know that stuff. More importantly, it is designed so that side chains are where the bulk of the data will reside thereby solving the problem of an exploding blockchain.

With the current size of the Ethereum blockchain being what it is and growth expected to hockey stick upwards, how is it possible to manage it, assuming Ethereum becomes hugely popular over the next 5, 10 , 20 years? I found a cryptic blog post written by Vitalik written in 2014 on the topic but there was no solution in that post.

What am I missing? Surely there is an elegant solution that I am simply unaware of. Or, does Lisk or something like it pose a serious threat to Ethereum based solely on its solution to blockchain bloat?

Comments

• agent412agent412 Posts: 242Member, Moderator mod
    The way someone explained it to me is, you need a computer to make an app, ETH is the computer and LISK is the app.
  • btchedgebtchedge Posts: 6Member
    agent412 said:

The way someone explained it to me is, you need a computer to make an app, ETH is the computer and LISK is the app.

Hmmm... perhaps. It sure seems like Lisk is positioning itself as an alternative to Ethereum. I'm still curious about the blockchain bloat issue and how that will be dealt with by Ethereum.
  • btchedgebtchedge Posts: 6Member
    edited May 2016
    Based on the Lisk problems surrounding their launch this week I have much less concern about it being an Ethereum killer. In fact, the friend that told me to check it out called and said he was now very skeptical as well.