Newbie Miner

deltoraminer85deltoraminer85 Member Posts: 1
So i have been keeping an eye on virtual currencies since 2010 but have never attempted to mine as I didn't believe my hardware was good enough however now that i have setup my rig i can get 400MH/s which from what i can see is an extremely good speed (I do have high end components).

So at the moment i have downloaded geth.exe and ran the command geth.exe -rpc, I am now up-to block # 1429411 - the blockchain has been building for over a week now.

I have some questions.

Firstly, how do i know when the block chain is current and is only processing new updates? latest is
14:22:12.567461 37328 blockchain.go:1251] imported 1 block(s) (0 queued 0 ignored) including 1 txs in 9.009ms. #1429424 [867ddd65 / 867ddd65]

After reading it looks like it is now updating 1 block at a time does that mean it is effectively sync'd and i can now start to mine?

Second questoins - what pool would you suggest for Etherum mining and possibly other coin mining like LTC and X11?

Thrid Question - I am currently using GUIMINER to test my speeds mining BTC via Slush's pool, I get scoring hash rate of 0.4GH/s - what is the best miner for Etherum

In addition any other advice? I am looking to generate a little bit of extra income and have access to plenty of computing power.

TIA

Comments

• retherrether Member Posts: 258 ✭✭
    What is your rig setup that is getting 400mh/s? That's a lot.

Secondly, you can start mining today if you just join a pool.

Finally, forget any numbers you see for other currencies. All that matters is what you get mining ETH. All currencies are different because they use different algorithms.
  • CorePrime95CorePrime95 Member Posts: 21
    You might have 400mh/s on some coins, but on Ethereum it would about 20 times 280x cards to reach that speed. Yes your blockchain is synced for solo mining, but if you really dont have 400mh/s you should do pool mining. I have made a simple guide to start pool mining.
  • adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Yeah he most likely has a 280X which gets about 400mh/s mining Bitcoin which is about 20MH/s mining ETH which is like $2/day.