EthOs

Comments

• ThatDudeThereThatDudeThere Posts: 134Member

I don't get it though. Veteran miners have been raving about ethermine.

I have 550Mhs over at ethermine and I don't have any issues at all. My four rigs run ethOS in local.conf mode, soon to be remote.conf, and has rate is reported just fine. If your effective hash rate line is constantly below your reported hash rate line on the graph, delete and regenerate your DAG file and that should fix it.
    Thanks!
  • thesmokingmanthesmokingman Posts: 152Member ✭✭

kotarius said:

to remove your dag files, and regenerate, just do this:

sudo rm -f /home/ethos/.ethash/full*
    sudo minestop && allow

Rig will restart miner and regenerate DAG

Ok I ssh in and put this, and nothing seemed to happen. So I rebooted, but not sure if it worked.

08:41 PM ethos@ab3d81 10.0.0.6 /home/ethos # sudo rm -f /home/ethos/.ethash/full*
    08:41 PM ethos@ab3d81 10.0.0.6 /home/ethos # sudo minestop && allow
    miner STOPPED
    Stratum Proxy Process(es) Terminated
    Mining Disabled because ethminer is defunct, this will likely require a reboot to cure.
    Check "log" for more information
    08:42 PM ethos@ab3d81 10.0.0.6 /home/ethos #
    @ThatDudeThere try using the same commands @kotarius stated, but just issue the r command last:

- sudo rm -f /home/ethos/.ethash/full* (this deletes both DAG files/nothing will happen on the screen)

- r (reboots the system)

• ThatDudeThereThatDudeThere Posts: 134Member
    edited April 2016
    Looking much better:
    http://85bfa0.ethosdistro.com/

Edit: would like to see better than 14 mh/s per card. Any ideas?
  • MetalethMetaleth Posts: 37Member
    I tried to overclock my r7 370 to. Core clock 1150 and mem. Clock 1500, the six card worked for about an hour and it stoped hashing. It said that the miner was defunct =s any recomendations on this?
  • brakabbrakab Posts: 38Member
    Metaleth said:

I tried to overclock my r7 370 to. Core clock 1150 and mem. Clock 1500, the six card worked for about an hour and it stoped hashing. It said that the miner was defunct =s any recomendations on this?

Leave memory stock, and try 1100 for the core clock.
    @brakab how could this help?
    That's the setting I run on my 370's. Been stable for weeks now.
    Ok thank you @brakab How much are you getting for each r7 370? Are you using ethOs too?
    edited April 2016
    Yup! using ethOS and getting an average of 14.3 mh/s for each card
    Okk i see @brakab but its very similar to the perfomance i get without overclocking. I wonder why i couldnt do the overclock properly =s been reading that many people get 17 mh/s from their r7 370
    My overclock is a bit conservative but I'm happy with it. Please let me know if you're able to achieve a higher stable overclock. What brand r7 370 are you using btw? I have mostly XFX's and one Asus.
    edited April 2016
    I have 4 msi and 2 saphire overclock. The saphire come in a blue box. I dont know if i should try again. Its super stable at the default configuration. It never crashes. Never! @brakab
  • jdcpjdcp VenezuelaPosts: 6Member
    edited August 2016
    I've been setting up my first rig and I thought the most ease way to get into it was ethOS, but I m having trouble to get it work.
    I have ASRock H7 Anniversary & 4 MSI R9 390 8GB connected to a Supernova 1300, after some time between 5 and 25 min or so, display freeze, keybourd & mouse don't respond anymore, but all fans from GPU CPU & PSU still running for about half hour... after that, it goes completly off.

http://paste.ethosdistro.com/onugiwikic

It seems to me, that should be something with BIOS settings, but I cant figure out what...

Does anyone have this configuration working? I little help, should be nice..

Post edited by jdcp on
  • ulfbertulfbert Posts: 64Member
    edited August 2016
    @kotarius What series GPU's does ethOS 1.1.0 & 1.1.1 support? Is it for just RX400 series cards?
    Post edited by ulfbert on
  • kotariuskotarius Posts: 328Member ✭✭✭
    @jdcp one of your gpus is bringing down the rig.

Check out load graph: http://dbda5a.ethosdistro.com/graphs/?rig=010178&type=load

I would attempt to isolate which gpu is causing this, remove it as a test, then try different risers or reseat it. It may work. Also try to flip bios switch on this GPU.
    Thanks for your help @kotarius I'm going to try one by one
    Hi @kotarius

I tryed GPUs one by one, and only one of them work for more than a hour, and even that hang the rig once. I changed risers, power wires, etc. It's been a hard time :-(

Last thing I do was check freq and I'm a bit confused. MSI site says this card has following modes:
    Core/Memory

Core Clock / Memory frequency
    1060 MHz / 6100 MHz (OC Mode)
    1040 MHz / 6000 MHz (Gaming Mode)
    1000 MHz / 6000 MHz (Silent Mode)

But memory freq is set at 1500 by the AMD driver on the rig, are they talking about a different memory freq?

BTW here is my report

http://paste.ethosdistro.com/uzuxalahas

Thanks again for your help.
    ulfbert said:

@kotarius What series GPU's does ethOS 1.1.0 & 1.1.1 support? Is it for just RX400 series cards?

http://ethosdistro.com/

Supports up to 8 AMD GPUs: Any 2GB+ HD 7000 series, any R9 200/300/Fury/Nano, and any RX 400 series.
    jdcp said:

Hi @kotarius
    Thanks again for your help.

6000 is dynamic memory, it is a marketing term. Divide by 4 to get the real mem clock. 6000/4 = 1500

This is unrelated to your issue because you have no overclocks. If your PSU is undersized or has multiple rails, it may be causing this. Try a different set of PCI-E power cables from the PSU and see if you can get it stable. Make sure risers are seated well.
    edited August 2016
    Hi again.

Now the 4 GPUs are working (fingers crossed)
    I just added "globaldriver fglrx" to the local.conf and GPUs started to work without hangs (2h:05m till now)

I'm using this overclock config to reach 121-122mhz with this cards, with practically no artifacts.

globalcore 1150
    globalmem 1525
    globalpowertune 20
    globalfan 90

Do you think this is a safe configuration?

Highest temp GPU is 77C by now, and lowest 60C so I started to think, traditional arrangement of GPUs needs to be modified!

Best regards @kotarius, and thanks again for your support
    Post edited by jdcp on
    Just in case it could help somebody with this configuration

ASRock H7 Anniversary & 4 MSI R9 390 8GB / ethOS

add "globaldriver fglrx" to your local.conf

if you want overclock, add this too

globalcore 1130
    globalmem 1525
    globalpowertune 20 (I tryed 50 but doesn't work for me)
    globalfan 90

119-120Mhs stable.

Just keep an eye on your GPU temperature

BTW, @kotarius could you please clarify what powertune does. Does it has something to do with GPU overvoltage? (I don't want do that, since I've heard that reduces GPUs life)

• hasherhasher Posts: 642Member ✭✭✭
    @jdcp from what i remember, the powertune setting prevents your GPU from throttling and gives a more stable hashrate
  • newmznewmz AustraliaPosts: 299Member ✭✭✭
    BTW, @kotarius could you please clarify what powertune does. Does it has something to do with GPU overvoltage? (I don't want do that, since I've heard that reduces GPUs life)

this is from Wikipedia about Powertune:

PowerTune is a trademark for a series of dynamic frequency scaling technologies built into some AMD GPUs and APUs that allow the clock speed of the processor to be dynamically changed (to different P-states) by software. This allows the processor to meet the instantaneous performance needs of the operation being performed, while minimizing power draw, heat generation and noise. AMD PowerTune aims to solve thermal design power and performance constraints.

Besides the reduced energy consumption, AMD PowerTune helps to lower the noise levels created by the cooling in desktop computers, and extends battery life in mobile devices. AMD PowerTune is the successor to AMD PowerPlay.

kotarius said:

ulfbert said:

http://ethosdistro.com/

Supports up to 8 AMD GPUs: Any 2GB+ HD 7000 series, any R9 200/300/Fury/Nano, and any RX 400 series.
    @kotarius when you first released 1.1.0 the advice I read was that I should only update from 1.0.7 if I have RX cards installed. Does this advice change with 1.1.1? The webhook stats page is telling me "Update 2 rig(s) to ethOS 1.1.1 (RX 400 Series support)" but I don't have any RX cards. I have mostly 290s, 290Xs, a 390 and 2 x 380s. Is there any benefit or new features I can take advantage of by updating to 1.1.1 or should I just stick to 1.0.7?

Anyone else using 1.1.1 without any RX cards and prefer it for any reason to 1.0.7?
    @newmz There are some fixes related to miner restarts if they crash due to DAG restart, slightly better sampling of hashrate and fixed graphing:

You can read the full list of changes below. If there is any thing you might need that is in 1.1.0 and 1.1.1, you are free to upgrade, it will not hurt anything (but updating will take up to 15 minutes due to all the new drivers and packages).

http://ethosdistro.com/changelog/
    @kotarius Ok thanks for the quick reply! I was getting crashes due to DAG but it was only in my 280Xs and I just sold them. Anything else is just cosmetic at this stage so I guess I'll stick with 1.0.7 until I feel like I might want any new features.

BTW I'm still recommending EthOS to the poor suckers on this forum who are pulling their hair out with all the troubles they have using Windows. I'm really glad I got EthOS when I did - I'm sure it's saved me way more in hash-rate and uptime I didn't lose to Windows than the money it cost, so thanks again!
    Thanks @hasher / @newmz , I did a search before ask, I don't know why I didn't find that info
  • cascadia_coincascadia_coin Posts: 67Member
    Soon, ZCash is coming.
  • CryptolollipopCryptolollipop Posts: 1Member

Hey Kotarius, thank you for getting me set up last night. My gethelp stats show I'm mining at 86.4 mh/s. The weird thing is ethermine.org stats show I'm averaging 30.
    http://paste.ethosdistro.com/etoveyebod
    http://ethermine.org/miners/0x21333d85487D2Af0068C3994DabE751fC16BE592

Yo dude. You still have 0.9 eth on ethermine.org sitting there http://puu.sh/w1B2R/58a9332e09.png fyi