[PARTNER] names, nets, and such future.

Jam10oJam10o Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
Sorry for the cryptic topic, this is (somewhat) a cross-post to my topic in the projects subforum, just to see if anyone's interested in lending a hand or two.

I'm in the process of writing up an "app" to map connections between contracts. This will go on to become the base of a more fun and social DNS system, and would love for anyone interested in: testing (in a few months time); donating time (in the form of code); or just sharing ideas and discussion; to let me know (or please! Feel free to take the idea and run with it! It isn't "mine").

If you feel bored and would like to hack something together that could benefit the whole community, this could be somewhere to start (let me know if these things already exist please! Deduplication of effort and all...) :
- A simple system/library/app to aggregate the contents of all contracts in the blockchain (sans transactions) in their latest states into a standard format.
- A "scriptable" but otherwise completely bare DNS server with flexible namespaces. (more for this project than the community as a whole :p)
- SPV Ethereum client [header-only] (A bit early, but everyone will love you for it!)

I have no way to reward any of these efforts, but it should help anyone participating to learn more about the architecture of Ethereum.
Who wants to learn with me? :)

Comments

• JasperJasper Eindhoven, the NetherlandsMember Posts: 514 ✭✭✭
    Name association is just the start of it..

Plugging a bit, here, servers would have to find the contract that is claimed by a viewer to be a viewer-script, and they'd want to see the balance too. https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/639/servers-being-paid-by-scripts-owned-by-viewers

On another thread the idea of contracts holding some amount that cannot be extracted can be used as collatoral. You could give someone a signed statement with which you can extract from that script, *except that fixed amount*. Payment is immediate, because it is completely dependent on that statement. However of course the minimum amount could be reached when the user tries to extract from it. But he can feel safe anyway, because he can blacklist it. For this to work, the program used needs to look at the script to see that it exists and has the collatoral plus an amount free to extract.

Computation on ethereum is relatively expensive too. It might turn out that checking is cheaper than computing, in which case contracts may simply leave problems for a bounty. So you might trawl through contracts to find problems you know how to solve. Or maybe one of the parties involved solves it, but in that case that person needs to get the problem from the contract by looking at the state.

I am sure there are many more cases where you want a program get stuff through the data. Sometimes knowing what contract to look for, sometimes searching.

I suppose one of them could be just to explore the contracts and transactions out there. It might need plugins of some sort to make sense of contracts particularly. For instance a 'I WANT HALF' plugin could identify `Eddie == adress, Alice == address` whereas without that info those are just `contract.storage[1000]` and `contract.storage[1001]`