How to Mine - Get started FAST and EASY For Windows 7- Detailed Guide

Comments

• EthraEthra Member Posts: 3
    i have followed this guide and i can't get both my sapphire 7950 and the vision tek 7850 oc edition mine together open to suggestion
  • minerkinminerkin Member Posts: 41
    Hey bro, update one for Windows 10. Windows 7 is dated and crippled with 4 cards.
  • motov8motov8 Member Posts: 1
    Do i need have always up and open geth rpc ? And later i can run ethminer ?
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    @motov8 if you are pool mining, you don't need geth at all. You just need ethminer.

You only need geth if you are solo mining with your own node.
    well i only have to cards and it won't run even with the bat for the dag file for the card that is only 2gb
  • hasherhasher Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    minerkin said:

Hey bro, update one for Windows 10. Windows 7 is dated and crippled with 4 cards.

Thats a myth and pure BS. I have 6 x 380X cards running perfectly fine on Windows 7 SP1. Just remember to install one card at a time. Boot up windows and let it install the drivers. When you can see that everything has installed successfully in device manager, then shutdown windows and install the next card. Keep doing this until all cards have been installed. You may get one or two cards appearing in device manager with an exclamation mark "!" but don't worry. Once all cards have been installed, then use the 6xGPU mod program (google it) and have it do its thing. After a reboot or two, you should have all your cards installed, working (no code 43 error), and ready to mine.
    my device manger sees both cards perfectly but on win 7 or 10 the card that is at the top pcie slot becomes device 1 and the card in the second slot becomes device 0,also just were does the .dat file go exactly i have placed them as instructed in this thread but i still will the DAG bailing error, or it will start to hash for about 30 seconds and will stop at 'got work package' and just hangs there.
  • philakonephilakone Member Posts: 163 ✭✭
    will be updating this thread this week with about 20-30 question and answer sections. It'll answer some of the most common questions like, "what is the best GPU to get," or "how do I set up ethproxy," or "I see hashes, but the pool doesn't recognize me or update anything,"

stay tuned for awesome question and answers.
  • retherrether Member Posts: 258 ✭✭
    Is Windows 10 any worse than Win7 for mining with AMD cards?
  • luthorluthor Member Posts: 34
    rether said:

I have 3 rigs, 2 on windows 10 and one on windows 7, i have the same effective hashrate on the pool and on the miner, amd driver 16.2
    luthor said:

rether said:

I have 3 rigs, 2 on windows 10 and one on windows 7, i have the same effective hashrate on the pool and on the miner, amd driver 16.2
    Thanks!
  • VuQuocHai1VuQuocHai1 Member Posts: 49
    edited April 2016
    Ethra said:

my device manger sees both cards perfectly but on win 7 or 10 the card that is at the top pcie slot becomes device 1 and the card in the second slot becomes device 0,also just were does the .dat file go exactly i have placed them as instructed in this thread but i still will the DAG bailing error, or it will start to hash for about 30 seconds and will stop at 'got work package' and just hangs there.

Pls try this with your mining pool CMD .
    setx GPU_MAX_HEAP_SIZE 100
    setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
    setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
    setx GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
    --cl-local-work 128 --cl-global-work 8192
    I got 270 2Gb 2 7950 and 1 7970 running together with this settings .Hope that help good luck .
    Post edited by VuQuocHai1 on
  • Yannick99Yannick99 Member Posts: 51
    1) excecute the geth --rpc.bat shortcut
    I'd like to know why we must run geth when we mine on a pool ?
    i'm using qtminer with no geth at all and i have share and ethereum. I though that geth was for mining alone. Maybe i miss something here ?
  • ethfanethfan Member Posts: 458 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Yannick99 said:

I'd like to know why we must run geth when we mine on a pool ?
    i'm using qtminer with no geth at all and i have share and ethereum. I though that geth was for mining alone. Maybe i miss something here ?

You need geth to access your wallet. Without a wallet you have to send your mined ETH directly to an exchange (that accepts such) and leave it there. Risky to do that.
  • Yannick99Yannick99 Member Posts: 51
    edited April 2016
    You need geth to access your wallet. Without a wallet you have to send your mined ETH directly to an exchange (that accepts such) and leave it there. Risky to do that.
    Ok but if i created a wallet already. Pool send ether in my address. No need to run geth all time ?

as per this how to, we must sync all time:
    What this does is it syncs you to the ethereum network. It keeps your block chain syncrhonized and geth --rpc must be ran every time before you start mining
  • levskilevski Member Posts: 12
    great guide, btw. fired up the wallet last night before i hit the sack. woke up it ain't done yet. checked the network IO, nada. so went the geth -rpc route this time and i see traffic rolling.

quick question: when geth stalls/stops will restarting geth mean it redownloads all 10GB again or does it pick up where it left off?
  • ThatDudeThereThatDudeThere Member Posts: 134
    philakone said:

- Windows is a PAIN IN THE ASS to use more than 4 GPU. DON'T USE WINDOWS FOR 4+ gpu. Use Ubuntu

Aren't plenty of people using 6 cards in windows?
    philakone said:

Every minute you're not mining is ether missed. Spending a stupid amount of plan optimizing is ridiculous. You're missing out. Spending 24 hours planning is 2-3 ether lost at 100 MH/s. Don't be silly and spend all your time planning.

Yep I have to decide on windows or EthOS...and do it. I like windows because of usability. I don't even know how to install programs on linux, and I want to add at least MSI Afterburner.
    I've never installed the openCL SDK...am I missing something? Everything seems to be running normal.
    Perhaps it came in another package from a game or another software. You guys should really check out that new gamebet coin too. It's incredibly profitable and awesome!! I'm not much of a gamer, but I bought a bunch of coins and bet on their site at: https://www.gamebet.gg/?r=865

POS and 10% from their game betting site.. it's basically replacing digibyte entirely: https://www.gamebet.gg/?r=865 We get 10% of their revenue depending on how much stake we get.. just released on exchanges and it's so cheap. Seriously check it out that Gamebet coin!

Here's the bitcoin talk: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1410287.0
    Be absolutely sure to follow me on twitter for all the hottest mining and altcoin news, with esports exclusive coverage!

https://twitter.com/GameBetDotGG
  • levskilevski Member Posts: 12
    finally fired up the nanopoo.bat and waiting for the dag file to get built. is the commnad line supposed to close after i ran nanopool.bat? only command line running is geth.bat.

also i noticed, after i ran nanopool.bat afterburner isn't able to detect the hardware performance of both my 390s. was that expeected?

how do i monitor my gpu utilziation and temps now?
    levski said:

finally fired up the nanopoo.bat and waiting for the dag file to get built. is the commnad line supposed to close after i ran nanopool.bat? only command line running is geth.bat.

also i noticed, after i ran nanopool.bat afterburner isn't able to detect the hardware performance of both my 390s. was that expeected?

how do i monitor my gpu utilziation and temps now?

I personally use msi afterburner to monitor all my gpus.
  • hamanaohamanao Member Posts: 5
    I bought a few sapphire 280 cards refurbished off of Newegg and have had no luck getting them to mine. Keep getting a BSOD error.
    I'm using the 15.30 driver and the cards report they are working properly in device manager. As soon as I start to mine, however, BSOD. I can't get them to mine on Ubuntu either. Really frustrating!
  • ethermine_rocksethermine_rocks Member Posts: 228
    as noted this initial guide is quite out of date, anyone just starting to mine should be better of looking at any pool get started guide. You can easily find all needed software and detailed instructions thre, even the complete ethminer command lines. All you need is to change the wallet to yours and rig name to whatever you like. For instance here is an example:

http://ethermine.rocks/#/help

anyone need help to quickly set up let me know! I will help to best of my knowledge!
  • EtherionEtherion Member Posts: 95
    yea. That Nvida Driver he links to is very old and is not supported by the new cuda deployment.
  • cbdswcbdsw Member Posts: 0
    How come my .bat files open then close right away? I must have screwed something up.
  • agent412agent412 Member, Moderator Posts: 280 mod
    cbdsw said:

How come my .bat files open then close right away? I must have screwed something up.

What's your mining settings look like? And is your GPU over 2GBs?
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    @cbdsw add a new line with "pause" (minus the quotes) at the end of the batch file so you can see the error message before it closes.
  • qbakensqbakens Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I have a question. I followed the guide exactly, then when i startup my start.bat, the miner file:
    setx GPU_FORCE_64BIT_PTR 0
    setx GPU_MAX_HEAP_SIZE 100
    setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
    setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
    ethminer.exe -F http://us-west1.nanopool.org:8888/0x9968213722E0Aa6b1824fF0714E6e014c69E9e46 -G --farm-recheck 200 --cl-local-work 256 --cl-global-work 8192
    then the command prompt shows up and after a while it's start up, but then I see it is using my integrated graphics, intel 4600HD, and not my gtx 750 ti, can you please help me with this?

Already thanks for the help!