ethermine.org - The fastest way to mine ether

Comments

• killertoadkillertoad Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I'm new to this, and have a question. Whenever I start up the miner, I get a "invalid user" error from stratum. I'm not sure how to make a user, or anything?
  • blueboxbluebox Member Posts: 181 ✭✭
    I'll be switching over tonight. Been having increasing problems with another pool's stratum connection reliability, and even the old standard port drops out too often now (which used to be rock solid).

My solitary wish: it'd be nice if the minimum payout level could be a little lower, like 0.5 ETH. :#
  • Aurum420Aurum420 Member Posts: 20
    PPLNS is notorious for discarding a miner's work. An hour seems much too short.
    The pool uses a PPLNS payment scheme where rewards are distributed according to the shares submitted during the last hour.
  • dr_pradr_pra Member Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    @Aurum420 any better suggestions in regards to the payment scheme?
    dr_pra said:

@Aurum420 any better suggestions in regards to the payment scheme?

Honestly, they all seem so complicated. It seems that payouts should just be proportional to work submitted: block_payout_total*my_work_submitted_since_last_block/total_pool_work_since_last_block=my_payout_this_block.

Maybe with blocks every 15 seconds an hour is an eternity and PPLNS would work fine.
    Prop will cause a very high variance in payouts as you need to submit shares immediately before a block is found. With ethereum it can happen that two blocks are found within seconds. The current system is much fairer in this case as it takes into account the total amount of work done by each miner during the last hour.
    dr_pra, So will your 60 minute PPLNS ever discard a miner's work??? I'll be moving my 60 M there as soon as I get my solo payout.

I've had my lil' 60 M at your solo pool for a while now. It's very clever the way you do the payouts. It's also mermerizing and frustrating at the same time. I slowly climb the ladder for my payout while watching all the big miners climb much faster. As I understand it when one gets paid the credit of the second place is substracted from the payee's credit and they start over at the end of the line.
    Yes, if a share is older than 60 minutes it will be discarded. So it takes 1 hour for a miner to fully join the pool and he will get diminishing rewards for 1 hour after he left the pool.
  • rismondorismondo Member Posts: 58
    If I have low hashrate (20) where is better to mine, here or on ethpool. I dont care If I have to wait longer for reward, all I care is to get the most money possible.
    edited March 2016
    @rismondo use ethermine.org, you will get your payouts faster this way given your hashrate.

Announcement: 0% fee promotion! The mining fee will be reduced to 0% for the remaining week!
  • o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Member, Moderator Posts: 1,291 mod
    edited March 2016
    @rimondo I would say here as the payout structure of ethpool changes the statistical maths of ethereum itself and slightly biases against small hash mining. I've tried ethpool though was happy when @dr_pra opened this pool also and I didn't want to add to Dwarfpool.

Of course if you want the 'most' money and don't mind waiting and wondering, mining solo is the most efficient way.
  • newkidONdablocknewkidONdablock interwebzMember Posts: 121
    ok im confused now largely because im the {my username here} :smiley: ok so dwarfpool is too big so its a nono, im looking at ethpool and ethermine, with my 70-ish MH what would be more profitable?

Of course if you want the 'most' money and don't mind waiting and wondering, mining solo is the most efficient way.

also can you clarify this a bit.

Thanks

• ScololScolol Member Posts: 62
    dr_pra said:

@rismondo use ethermine.org, you will get your payouts faster this way given your hashrate.

Announcement: 0% fee promotion! The mining fee will be reduced to 0% for the remaining week!

0% nice!
  • o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Member, Moderator Posts: 1,291 mod
    @newkidONdablock, with solo you're not loosing eth in fees for one (I just realised ethminer.org is currently free) or possibly losing shares in the PPLNS algo (the way payouts are calculated) if you leave. Latency to the pool servers may add some (probably minor) inefficiency.

Downside with solo is that you have run a full geth node and with 70Mhs you will go days or weeks without mining a block and wonder if you are setup properly. You're also more exposed to growing difficulty over that time, whereas the smaller more frequent payouts from a pool buffers you a bit.
  • newkidONdablocknewkidONdablock interwebzMember Posts: 121
    Thanks for the thorough explanation, ethermine it is then.
  • blueboxbluebox Member Posts: 181 ✭✭
    So far, liking it much. Haven't had any issues with proxy, very stable. Only have ~75MH on it, but looks like better payout than I was getting on another pool.

2xGTX970 o/c in a pc box. 2xR7-370 o/c in an 8 year old Mac Pro (bootcamp win7), works wonderfully, tons of cooling in that thing — not that those cards really need it. B)
  • zorvalthzorvalth Member Posts: 174
    I love this new pool, very happy with the first payments. I always liked ethpool just a few disagrees with the credit system but now is all perfect! All my hash is there now! Thanks @dr_pra
  • BiodomBiodom Member Posts: 693 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    @zorvath
    Getting my ethpool.org payout today, hopefully, and switching over, then in 1-5 days as my other rigs pay up on ethpool or solo, will switch over all ~230 mh/s, most likely. Run into capacity problem. Very much want to built one more rig (~100Mh), but have to figure out what is my tax situation and where to locate the rig first. I pay estimated tax every Q, so this is going to take a bite :/ as it goes with the regular tax in April.
  • dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    The pool is at 14 GH and climbing!
  • thesmokingmanthesmokingman Member Posts: 152 ✭✭
    I loved Kano & CKs BTC PPLNS pool as it gave better returns than what the calculators stated my expected revenue would be. If this PPLNS is similar in performance, then I will be moving my 500MH over once it's stable etc...

@dr_pra - so you're saying the ramp up time is only 1hr? That was my only concern as it took me 5 days to ramp up on BTC PPLNS pools, so I can definitely handle an hour! Thanks for all your hard work and active response to your pool threads. It made me a believer in Kano when I was mining BTC and trust that pool, so I feel like I've found my Ethereum home in ethpool & ethermine...
  • BiodomBiodom Member Posts: 693 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    @thesmokingman
    14s block in ethereum vs 10min blocks in bitcoin, hence ~43 times faster ramp up time in PPLNS.
    Maybe it will take 2 hr and not one.
    the comparison is uncanny, maybe the same person (you never know) or at least a person with similar values...
  • MrYukonCMrYukonC Member Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    @thesmokingman @Biodom
    Yeah, you will not go wrong with either ethpool or ethermine. The 2 best pools out there IMO.
  • happytreefriendshappytreefriends Member Posts: 537 ✭✭✭
    I tried the new eth-proxy from the download link ethermine.org, but it does not work, keeps giving errors.
    0.0.4 going to ethpool.org works 100% fine on the same test rig. Weird.
    Anyone else have problems with it?
    edited March 2016
    @happytreefriends no issues were reported up to now with the 0.0.5 version of eth-proxy

Announcement: Miners have now the possibility to specify their minimum payment amount. The standard minimum remains set to 1 Ether but it can be reduced up to 0.1 Ether or increased up to 10 Ether. If the amount is set to less than 1 Ether a flat fee of 0.005 Ether will be deducted from the amount to cover the transaction costs. If the amount is 1 Ether or more the tx fee will be paid by the pool. You can customize your minimum payment amount using the "Account settings" tab of your miner page.
    bitcanuck said:

@dr_pra What will the permanent fee be? I'm not going to switch my mining if I could get slammed with a 2% fee.

@bitcanuck cc: @dr_pra

I don't think they've ever charged more than 1%.
    The usual fee is 1%.
    @bitcanuck cc: @dr_pra

Bitcanuck,

The thing you need to realize is that with ethpool at least, the 1% fee is essentially negated due to the way they pay out uncles. Very frequently I receive payouts greater than 5 ETH and @dlehenky can confirm this as well.

So while you're "technically" paying 1%, you're actually being paid a bonus because of their uncle payment system. Make sense?
    I don't like comparing pool fees and payment structures but the uncle rate of ethpool is similar to the one of dwarfpool. For ethermine the hashrate is still tonlow to give representative figures. One main difference in regards to the fee structure is that ethermine as well as ethpool pays mined tx fees to the miners while dwarfpool doesn't, if I understand their main page correctly.
    I forgot to mention that they most likely also do not pay out uncle inclusion rewards (the additional reward you get when you include an uncle in your mined block)
  • zorvalthzorvalth Member Posts: 174
    edited March 2016
    @bitcanuck

solo with less then a 0.5-1gh/s is dumb idea. with your 100 mh if you start with bad luck you will probably will need a months to get even with the calculators. Also the difficult will rise and you will get your blocks on higher diff than you started. So be my guest go solo with 120.

Uncle rate of dwarf and ethpool are all around 7%, just use real life statistic not a newspaper from the last summer.

And the business thing, I guess all business you've run are now gone, so you probably have to stop looking in the others pockets, it will help you keep your business running. ;)