What's the best wallet to stash some ETH for the long haul?

Are there any secure wallets to move some funds out of Poloniex and stash for the long haul? I'm not the most technical person, and certainly not too trusting of third party exchanges to hold onto funds. The ideal solution for me would be something like mymonero.com.

Answers

• cylonmaker2053cylonmaker2053 Member Posts: 3
    158 views on this question, but not a single reply? Can someone please name at least a single reputable ETH wallet?
  • zonozono Member Posts: 156 ✭✭

158 views on this question, but not a single reply? Can someone please name at least a single reputable ETH wallet?

I think nobody knows, so just checking for an answer as well :)
  • cylonmaker2053cylonmaker2053 Member Posts: 3
    It seems to me like the lack of a decent independent wallet is a big Achilles heel at the moment. We've seen far too many exchanges go bust and walk away with deposits to let this happen for a $315M market cap asset.
  • zonozono Member Posts: 156 ✭✭
    Have you tried Mist 0.3.9?
    I find it very good.
  • auburn_niceauburn_nice RussiaMember Posts: 22
    I prefered alethzero.
    Why not to use it?
  • dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    If you are running 'geth' or 'eth' (although I haven't run the latter), you basically have a wallet. You can send and receive transaction from it using myetherwallet.com, which simply runs some secure javascript code in your browser. I've used it to transfer a 1000 ether without any issues. Lots of people use it. There's no information stored on their server, it's all done on your system, in your browser. The browser (Firefox, Safari, Chrome, etc.) has to be running on the system that 'geth' is running on.

-Best Care
    David
  • JabulonJabulon Member Posts: 45
    dlehenky said:

If you are running 'geth' or 'eth' (although I haven't run the latter), you basically have a wallet. [...] You can send and receive transaction from it using myetherwallet.comThe browser (Firefox, Safari, Chrome, etc.) has to be running on the system that 'geth' is running on.

Wut? I really don't follow your logic here. If you are running the geth or eth client locally, you can already send. receive, and securely store funds as this is basic wallet functionality. Regarding webwallets like myetherwallet, they have no dependence on you running geth.

If the OP is looking for a more user-friendly experience than the CLI tools, there is Mist, which is a nice GUI running on top of geth.

Or yes, you can generate a webwallet and not install any local client.
  • MrOkgsMrOkgs Member Posts: 8
    I Split between Mist and exchanges.
  • MicahMicah Member Posts: 8
    At this point I believe Mist is the most user-friendly "doesn't require any trust" way to store money. You will still have to download the entire blockchain which may take a day. :/ I believe the developers are working on a thin client that would allow you to participate in Ethereum in a safe (no third party sees your password) without downloading the full blockchain.
  • wunluvwunluv Member Posts: 2
    I'm off-grid with limited bandwidth. The current size of the eth blockchain puts mist out of my reach. For now I'm using the www.myetherwallet.com js library (https://github.com/kvhnuke/etherwallet) on a clean bootable usb OS to generate my wallet - thereby keeping private keys offline and also having the ability to sign an offline transaction. Then I keep an eye on the balance every now and then via http://etherscan.io or https://etherchain.org- the latter having a free api that does not require an api key.